• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I generally don't carry when exercising. The only time I will carry is if I am going to put in some miles and need to carry water with me. In that case, I put a GoRuck 10 liter bullet with water bladder on my back and I will pack my Glock 26.

Last edited:

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    I generally don't carry when exercising. The only time I will carry is if I am going to put in some miles and need to carry water with me. In that case, I put a GoRuck 10 liter bullet with water bladder on my back and I will pack my Glock 26.
    Seems like an ideal solution. Use an IWB holster with CZ PCR while mountain biking.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I can get away with a G43 in gym shorts with a good draw string in a basic kydex clip on holster. I don't carry a spare mag though. That's my carry option when out running or riding a bike. I think the key is string tightness. Belly band works good too. I run between 2-5miles this way depending on the day.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I carry IWB when biking, but when running I just have my SOG folder. I would rather have a gun, but can't come up with a good carry method. (My pride won't allow the fanny pack...)

My knife saved me from a pack of wild dogs in Africa, however, so I always wear it while running.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I went with a decent sized sling pack for hiking, simply for the reason that most conventional packs have a waist belt, which would severely limit access to my OWB carried weapon.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I went with a decent sized sling pack for hiking, simply for the reason that most conventional packs have a waist belt, which would severely limit access to my OWB carried weapon.

I put my weapon butt forward between the stabilizer strap and hip belt on my hiking packs. Then I can carry open or conceal easily by throwing a bandanna over it. It fits there very nicely. I thread the holster through the stabilizer strap and even when I am OC it is very discreet.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    If you jog then I can see how you might carry, but if you actually run I don't see it. I don't carry running or biking. I can out run, out bike, just about anything except a dog. I've encountered plenty of vicious dogs and have never wished I had a gun to shoot them. There are just too many better options: shout and act aggressive yourself, rocks, spray water or pepper spray, use your bike as a barrier or weapon, etc.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I use an ACU nylon belt with and a homemade double spare mag carrier under my shorts for my Kahr CW380. I tried a belly band but I broke out in a rash it may have been the material causing a reaction either way my current setup works better and is more secure. I use an IWB setup when hiking.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I need to get back to the running / riding workout stuff - but when I do.

it is bike shorts or the breathable stretch running shorts etc, under cargo shorts and carry almost all the same stuff as normal w/ a belt on the cargo shorts; and some breathable shirt or a tee shirt.
    Do I look like a "normal" runner or high tech rider? no but I could care-less.

Gun in IWB or OWB ... I have wrecked on the bike (bicycle) w/ the IWB at near 30 mph ... I survived, bike survived, gun survived; no one was the wiser. And I went another 40 miles that day.

sweat? good!- your supposed to be. work it out. suck it up buttercup. LOL.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have never figured out a reasonably comfortable method to carry any of my firearms while running. I've tried NAA mini revolvers and Keltec .32, which encompass the lightest handguns in my collection, and they still bounce too much for me. I've resorted to carrying a small fixed blade knife in a finger lock kydex holster in the horizontal position. Weighs a few ozs, doesn't move, and never malfunctions nor runs out of ammo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    If you jog then I can see how you might carry, but if you actually run I don't see it. I don't carry running or biking. I can out run, out bike, just about anything except a dog. I've encountered plenty of vicious dogs and have never wished I had a gun to shoot them. There are just too many better options: shout and act aggressive yourself, rocks, spray water or pepper spray, use your bike as a barrier or weapon, etc.

Last fall I was surrounded by a pack that was circling me and making test lunges. I was off the bike using it as a barrier but there were too many of them and I was about two seconds away from shooting the leader when a truck came and distracted them. The next trip I hit the lead dog full face with bear spray.

A few months later I came upon that same pack killing my goats and when they saw me they charged. I shot the lead dog five feet from me with it at a dead run and the second one ten feet from me. They ripped the throats out of two of my goats and I am very sure they would have done the same to me. I wish I'd taken care of the problem when they were attacking me on my bike.

Yeah, I carry on my bike and would if I jogged or ran. I've used all of the nonlethal options before and was glad to have the ability to escalate.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Last fall I was surrounded by a pack that was circling me and making test lunges. I was off the bike using it as a barrier but there were too many of them and I was about two seconds away from shooting the leader when a truck came and distracted them. The next trip I hit the lead dog full face with bear spray.

A few months later I came upon that same pack killing my goats and when they saw me they charged. I shot the lead dog five feet from me with it at a dead run and the second one ten feet from me. They ripped the throats out of two of my goats and I am very sure they would have done the same to me. I wish I'd taken care of the problem when they were attacking me on my bike.

Yeah, I carry on my bike and would if I jogged or ran. I've used all of the nonlethal options before and was glad to have the ability to escalate.
    Good lord. Was it wild dogs or someone's "pets"?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I recommend the Survival Sheath Systems chest holster. I am a full time, year round bike commuter and have been using one for a few years now to carry a j-frame. There is nothing inconspicuous about it though.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I'm with KJW in that I don't feel the need to be defensively armed while moving fast. I doubt anyone would want to fight me while I'm all sweaty and moving with purpose. They can mug the skinny kids walking with their heads buried in their phone.

Living in Bedford and running on the busiest streets in town, I really don't feel the need to be armed at all. If I want to arm up or if I'm walking the trail with a heavy load, I simply open carry or I'll use the runner's fanny pack thingy that has the built in water bottles. Just tuck the gun in there and press on.

Back when I lived in the hood of Cincinnati, I bought a Keltec P3AT for the sole purpose of carrying while running. I had a cheapo pocket holster and it'd bounce around too much so I tucked it into my waist. It wasn't bad there but it occurred to me in the time it would take to draw and fire I could probably already be 21+ yards away from any threat.

Like all other carry situations.... head on a swivel beats being armed. I don't know your fitness level or training plans but I can say it's really tough to get into a fight with people when you're moving along.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm with KJW in that I don't feel the need to be defensively armed while moving fast. I doubt anyone would want to fight me while I'm all sweaty and moving with purpose. They can mug the skinny kids walking with their heads buried in their phone.

The decision to carry or not is a highly personal one and I would never tell someone they should or should not as each person's cost/benefit analysis is up to them. But your logic is seriously flawed. Joggers are just as much at risk as anyone else out in public. Granted that risk in general is fairly low, but then most of us wouldn't venture out without a squad if it were high to begin with.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    your logic is seriously flawed. Joggers are just as much at risk as anyone else out in public.
    Assuming I'm the one jogging and not some 120lb female with a pony tail and sports bra on, all by herself, at night, I'm pretty sure logic dictates I'm at less of a risk than she is when it comes to things like mugging or sexual assault.

Yes, I'm still at risk even when I'm jogging, but I'm at a lower risk than, say, a college kid walking around looking at their phone.

Carrying doesn't have to be "all or nothing." I bet most of us on here carry when we can but we also acknowledge there are times we either don't need to carry, can't carry, or "There are way juicier targets around here than me."

Top Bottom