• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    While as a young'un my dad's Lee Enfield's where my favorite rifle to shoot, especially his No5Mk1 Jungle Carbine, as I grew older, they fell out of favor with me as I desired a milsurp that nobody really collected, the cosmoline drenched, varnish peeling, Vodka-stained Mosin.

But as I grew older, I decided I wanted to get one for the collection and at the same time my dad was divesting his firearms collection so I jumped at the chance to buy that carbine to shoot again. When he bought it back in the mid 60's this BSA Shirley set him back a whopping $56.00 and had been some sort of parade rifle. But it had a sweet bore and attracted more than its share of attention at the range.

100_5182 a.JPG 100_5183a.JPG 100_5192a.JPG
    My next 2 fell right in line with my collecting focus. Both are No4 Mk1 "T" sniper rifles, the bottom one being a 1941 Fazakerley /Enfield conversion that made its way from British Army service to Indian Army service, and finally over to the good old USA.
    The top one is a 1945 BSA numbers matching rifle right down to its transit case, but sadly has a replacement scope.

20220102_112635 (3).jpg 20220102_112747 (2).jpg

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Here's our "Enfield" collection:

Top is my Remington 1917...I know, not really an "Enfield" per-se, but it also kind of is.

Then my son's No1 MkIII* SMLE

My No 4 Mk1

My No5 Mk1

IMG_20231009_111627775.jpg

My favorite by far is the 1917. Like most things British, they started with a good idea and then couldn't get out of their own way...and ultimately it took the Americans to come along and help them realize it's full potential.

My main complaint with the Enfields is the stupid .303 cartridge. The rimmed case, corrosive priming, and "click-bang" cordite should have been done away with about 50 years before they actually were. Couple that with the rear locking lugs of the No1-No5 design, and they destroy brass like there's no tomorrow. I've also found that the bore diameters vary wildly from gun to gun, and developing a load that each likes takes a lot of time and patience. I can't just load .303...I have boxes labeled for each rifle, and have to keep track of my neck-sized brass and bullet diameters, not becasue I'm getting match grade accuracy out of any of them but becasue if I don't I'll have keyholing bullets in some and rounds that won't chamber in others. In sharp contrast, My 1917, 03A3, and M1 Garands will all eat just fine from the same box.

I still enjoy the Enfields, though. They did get some things right. The actions are incredibly smooth, and cock on close is nice. The peep sights on the No4 and No5 are top notch, and I really like the balance and handiness of the No5. The No1 MkIII is actually a great shooter.

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    1948 No.1 Mk4 that Bubba tried to make a jungle carbine. My friend gave me this for free said it was in a garage fire and he didn't have time to mess with it.

Soaked the bolt and all pieces in WD-40 over night. Cleaned the bore quite a bit. I honestly liked the burnt wood color so I sanded it down lightly with 220 grit then I just put 2 coats of polyurethane over it.

Just missing a extractor spring in the bolt but I have test fired it and it shoots fine. Bolt is smooth as an Enfield bolt should be as well!
    20160301_132302.jpg

Shifty_85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2023
    Versailles, IN
    1967 Enfield ishapore 2a1 picked this up for a good price a few years ago. I loved the Enfield action but .303 is too expensive owning a few other .308 rifles this was a great way for me to have an Enfield I could shoot and also make custom loads for!

I've ran it in 3 gun competitions as well. Even got to use the bayonet in competition* Sadly I broke the wrist of the stock when I did.

But this rifle is accurate as all get out I hit a 6" steel target at 200 yards in competition as well.
    DSCN0089-1.jpg
    0318121945.jpg

Top Bottom