• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I had an issue with the breech face on my sr1911. It was damaging my brass (as opposed to busting my balls) and potentially causing ejection issues. Anyway, called ruger, they emailed me a label and it was off to UPS to get it shipped. It left the facility just a second ago and is on its way back home. So far the process has been great. Very nice reps who know what they are talking about (and for that matter, what I am talking about). I will be sure to make a full review when the process is completed.

I was told, however, that their current turn around time is 7-10 days. I find this hard to believe, but I guess Ruger sets the bar high! I'm really going to miss this her :(

Before:
    6gas14.jpg

UPDATE: Well... where do I begin? After "missing" my "delivery" I ended up going down to the UPS hub near by and picked it up in person. A middle aged lady (keep in mind I am 22) came out and asked "is this a gun" I said "yes mam it is" *note at this time an older gentleman walked out holding my box* he asked "do you have your license on you?" I noticed the cop car when I came in and this man was certainly an officer. I flashed him the pink (sounds strange) and we became best friends immediately. Hated to go through the hassle, but meh. Anyway, nice guy, he guessed that I had a gp100 in the box, when I told him it was an SR he jokingly pretended to take the package back. Apparently he wants one really bad hahaha. After talking about rugers and his range he shook my hand and wished me well. As for UPS... it was annoying, but I got it a day early... so I cant complain too much. Package was in good condition too.

Now... to the main event.

After:
    28226oj.jpg

Upon opening the package I see my sr1911 in the protective case and box I mailed it in. Opened her up and immediately took the slide off. Now... I don't know about you, but I'm 99% sure that ridge is still there. I cant tell if they milled it or even tried to file it at all. It looks cleaner, maybe less pointy, but the lip remains none the less. I'm going to try to get to a range this weekend so I guess we shall see. Also, I checked the receipt and it does say "replaced front and rear sights"... I noted that the front seemed just a tiny bit loose and they took care of me there.

As my eyes ran down the page I did see "Replaced: sights" "Repaired: None"... does that confirm that they didnt do anything? How about the text that says "Probably just an ammunition problem. Note to customer to try different ammunition." This struck me as rather strange, considering I attached a picture of the original test round and my recent round, both of which have identical damage.

Another thing that irked me as I had the slide off... they returned it very dirty. Ironically they gave me a "Ruger cleaning cloth" as a thank you for waiting for the repair. I thought it was nice, but it was dirty in about 4 seconds once I started removing all the residue. I guess I'm neutral here. It was dirty, but I got free stuff... meh.

Regardless of ALL of that... I am very happy to have her back. I also do appreciate the speed at which ruger repairs things (albeit incomplete IMHO).

Rating on a 1-10 scale (10 being the best).... 6? Too harsh? Not harsh enough?

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I just sent an old Red Label shotgun back to them last week because it was having FTF issues.

The guy I spoke to on the phone was VERY nice and actually knew what he was talking about. A couple hours later it was boxed up and heading back to them. He said it would be couple of weeks at least, so we'll see.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I'm in the north central Indy area... this could prove to be interesting since there is no distance time difference to ruin our sample. SCIENCE! Good luck.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I saw that my SR1911 has that same "ledge", exactly like yours. I'd been saving my brass and noticed the indention on it. Since I don't reload (yet) I didn't know if it was an issue. Guess a call to Ruger is in order for me too. :(

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I had a minor issue with my Ruger 556 and they took exceptional care of me; simply the nicest people I've dealt with. S&W gets a big nod as well but the Ruger people were, from beginning to end, incredible to deal with.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I saw that my SR1911 has that same "ledge", exactly like yours. I'd been saving my brass and noticed the indention on it. Since I don't reload (yet) I didn't know if it was an issue. Guess a call to Ruger is in order for me too. :(

Im completely ignorant to any effects it might cause aside from damaging brass. I'd imagine not fully supporting the rear of the cartridge and changing the angle cant be good. (For the shot or the ejection). I donate my brass to a friend so it needed to be fixed... I don't "feel" safe with it like that though.

Couldn't the ledge just be stoned away?

I had a file in my hand... I think I could do it, but why chance it? Either A. everything goes well and I got lucky, B. I leave it and damage brass and potentially mess something up (me or the gun), or C. Give her up for a few weeks and have ruger take care of me/I keep my warranty.

I don't expect it to come back in any miraculously clean/efficient condition... but I wouldn't be surprised!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Chalk me up as another fan of the Ruger customer service experience. I sent my SR9c to them and had it back in under 2 weeks (I think it was along the lines of 10) days. It was my first time dealing with a manufacturer, so I was pleasantly suprised to find out that they could ship the firearm directly to my house.

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    ... I was told, however, that their current turn around time is 7-10 days. I find this hard to believe, but I guess Ruger sets the bar high! I'm really going to miss this her :(

6gas14.jpg

I had to return my P95 with a malfunctioning hammer spring, was told 7 to 10 days as well, but had my gun back in hand in less than a week. Great people, great service, and then they sent me a nice ruger hat

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Status update: I sent the SR on the 20th "guaranteed" overnight air... apparently UPS had some delay in KY on its way to AZ. She was delivered today at 9:47am (I think eastern).

That being the case, subtract one day off the total process time. So far Ruger 1 UPS -1. LOL!

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I had to return my P95 with a malfunctioning hammer spring, was told 7 to 10 days as well, but had my gun back in hand in less than a week. Great people, great service, and then they sent me a nice ruger hat

That seems to be the standard, at least from most people I have talked to. Only a few outliers saying "almost a month". The only thing that worries me is this is an sr1911 (they clearly have capacity issues as you can tell from how "rare" they are.) as opposed to something like an SR9. To be honest I wont be mad if it takes awhile, as long as it is fixed and runs 100% I'm happy. Wouldn't mind having it back this very second, though.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Had a defective bolt in my 22/45. After contacting Ruger and sending a picture of the problem, they promptly mailed out a replacement. Couldn't ask for better service.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I've never had to send any of my Rugers back, but I have called them numerous times with questions (parts, models, dates of manufacture, etc.) I have always immediately gotten someone who knew what they were talking about, were kind and helpful.

+1 this, and free stuff like 30mm mini14 rings.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Update: Just gave ruger a call to check on things. Rep told me it was still in "open" status so they were still getting things finished. She told me to expect an email with the shipping info and to be ready for delivery as soon as Friday. Obviously this is just an estimate (I told her I'm not going to hold her to it), but I have a good feeling about it based on my experience with them thus far.

Top Bottom