• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    seeing who had one and how they liked it. Always liked the vaquero and so does the wife.. might end up doing cowboy mounted shooting for fun. So I’ve seen a lot of calibers and the the one with 9 cylinder interests me more Caliber consolidation was justification

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I have the Vaquero in .45 with the acp cylinder. I like it a lot. No idea about groups because I always shoot it single handed but it is a lot of fun to shoot. How common are they in .357/9mm? I've seen several of the Blackhawk convertibles but not many vaquero convertibles in .357/9mm.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have the Vaquero in .45 with the acp cylinder. I like it a lot. No idea about groups because I always shoot it single handed but it is a lot of fun to shoot. How common are they in .357/9mm? I've seen several of the Blackhawk convertibles but not many vaquero convertibles in .357/9mm.
    I kicked around the .45 acp too I have both calibers and can reload either. Thought the 9 would best..?

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    If you have thoughts about cowboy mounting shooting, you should check into which caliber they use. I thought they only use 45LC. The 45 LC and 45 ACP Vaquero might be your better choice.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I don't have a Vaquero, but I do have a Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, and a Single-Six in .22LR/.22 Mag. I also have an old-model Blackhawk in .357 that I got at an auction that I'd love to acquire and fit a 9mm cylinder for.

As a handloader, I love the convertibles. The ability to shoot a wide variety of loadings through them is really convenient, and being a single-action you don't have to worry about moon clips like you would in a DA revolver, or cycling issues like a semi-auto. Even if you're not a reloader, the ability to shoot cheap factory 9mm (if that ever becomes a thing again) out of your .357 is pretty sweet. Mine is incredibly accurate in .45 ACP, and it's really easy to eject those short cases. The geometry of the loading gate guides a 230gr RN bullet right into the cylinder, too...it's just a sweet handling gun in that caliber. But I've also carried that same gun out west in bear country with heavy .45 Colt loads, and being a large-frame Ruger I can safely load them right up to where they'll compete with .44 mag.

One consideration with the Vaquero as a convertible is the sights. The Blackhawk allows you to adjust the sights to the load whereas that's not really an option with a fixed-sight Vaquero. If you only plan to shoot up close it probably won't matter so much, but as the range increases, you'll start to get significant variance in POI between a light 9mm load and a heavy .357. For my purposes, the point of a convertible is versatility in ammo selection...putting fixed sights on one limits the ability to fully capitalize on that, IMO. That said, I'm not a cowboy action shooter. From what I've seen of the sport it appears to be more focused on speed on large targets at close range, with an emphasis on form. In that environment, I imagine the Vaquero should serve you well.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    If you have thoughts about cowboy mounting shooting, you should check into which caliber they use. I thought they only use 45LC. The 45 LC and 45 ACP Vaquero might be your better choice.
    If I do the mounted shooting it would be just for fun at my house not only purpose gun or caliber.
    I do like the information I have especially on the Blackhawk .. I don’t have a preference as of right now just shopping around..
    I’m still learning as go here on INGO.. I don’t have much gun knowledge to contribute as a lot of people here do .. and greatly appreciate the info I get! Thanks 92fstech!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt/45 acp and like it a lot. I do like the idea of a 357/9mm convertible though since that effectively gives you 3 calibers (with 38 special) out of one gun. I prefer the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk too, although that does take away some of the "cowboyness" I guess. :):

Top Bottom