• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I'm picking up an sr1911 tomorrow and I have a few questions.

This is my first 1911, I am very excited. I dont know a few things though.

vz_grips_sz_magwell_1024.jpg

What parts do I need, and what is the process of installing the black magwell?

Any idea on what color those vz grips are? Black/grey or black desert?

When installing the grips, do I need any bushings of any kind or are they just screw in?

Finally, anyone have any suggestions for night sights?

Thank you!

IMG_5614.JPG

Last edited:

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    The vz grips look like grey black. No change in bushings unless you buy slim panels. Dont over tighten the grip screws, you may notice the screws loosen up after a range trip, I use these little rubber #60 O-ring washers on my grip screws. Keeps the screws from loosening up. You can get em at Home Depot at the plumbing dept. As for the magwell, looks like the owner might have swapped the msh.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Put a couple of hundred rounds through it and see if you think it needs anything. You might like it just as it is. Personally I wouldn't do anything to it other that CT laser grips but that's my personal preference and you may not be inclined that direction.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The easiest way to add a magwell is to replace the Main Spring Housing (MSH):
    Ed Brown Mainspring Housing Flat Drop-In Maxi-Well 1911 Government

You can also use one of these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/668022/swenson-custom-magazine-well-1911-blue

The process is: http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2910262&postcount=8

those grips are the best

+1 for the Black Gray Operators II.

Here they are on a Springfield and a Sig

vqxXC.jpg

YydUr.jpg

Welcome to the 1911 world, kiss your money goodbye! :D

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Those Eagle grips are sharp! I think this gun looks good with just about anything. Mine currently has the standard grips. I've got a Remington R1 stainless, and I'm thinking about getting the Remington grips that look like the standard Ruger's. Then, the guns would look almost like a set.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks for all the help! That answered just about everything.

One thing left though... you mentioned you NEED the bushings if you get the slim models. I'm actually very interested in them. Can you confirm that I must have them?

Honestly, I dont plan on changing the magwell anytime soon.. but the grips and a few wilson combat mags are on my list.

Thanks again!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Thanks for all the help! That answered just about everything.

One thing left though... you mentioned you NEED the bushings if you get the slim models. I'm actually very interested in them. Can you confirm that I must have them?

Honestly, I dont plan on changing the magwell anytime soon.. but the grips and a few wilson combat mags are on my list.

Thanks again!
    You WILL need to have the bushings replaced if you switch to the thin grips. I'm not sure how Ruger installs them but Wilson and Nighthawk put a little loctite on them so if you aren't comfortable getting the old ones out seek help.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You WILL need to have the bushings replaced if you switch to the thin grips. I'm not sure how Ruger installs them but Wilson and Nighthawk put a little loctite on them so if you aren't comfortable getting the old ones out seek help.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Yeah, that ^. I don't think I've heard of anybody staking them lately. Some of that epoxy stuff is badder than loctite and you will destroy the standard originals getting them out. Can't be helped.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Congrats on the new firearm. I love that gun. I do not have one, but the want is there. They have a spartan/clean look about them that I find appealing. Look forward to the range report...

Irishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bloomfield
    The problem with grips loosening seems to be different with each one. I have about 300 rounds through mine and still tight as the day I recieved it.

Top Bottom