• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    LGS has some ruger security six police trade ins for sale. They are stainless steel with fixed sights. They are in fairly rough shape, but everything seems to work fine. They want 425 for them. Does that seem like a good deal?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    LGS has some ruger security six police trade ins for sale. They are stainless steel with fixed sights. They are in fairly rough shape, but everything seems to work fine. They want 425 for them. Does that seem like a good deal?

1. Bought one a couple of months ago with a thread on it.
    2. Big wood handles, and the original wood (smaller wood handles): love it!
    3. It is a home defense gun for me, but I was told not to use .357 for home use, but stick with the .38 specials, due to overpenetration.
    4. I paid $425, but really $375 b/c of ammo, holster, and other amenities.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Police "trade ins", really? There's a PD out there that - just now - is trading in their old Security Sixes? They went out of production 30 years ago.

Wow.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Police "trade ins", really? There's a PD out there that - just now - is trading in their old Security Sixes? They went out of production 30 years ago.

Wow.

Aren't those California Department of Correction guns? Or, are these the Puerto Rico guns that have been floating around in containers for years?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally found my pic of my Ruger Security Six.
    I have $380 in it. (paid 425 with the ammo and goodies you see here, so I subtracted $45 for them)
    attachment.php

I have range results and it wasn't as accurate as my Taurus 84 snubbie or my Smith 642 hammerless snubbie,
    at 15' and 20',
    but would do better at distance (40' probably, don't remember), and probably 30' when you got wider.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Found a 1972 6" blued Security Six wood grips at LGS that was in really good shape with only slight cylinder markings...no box or holster...paid little less than one you're looking at.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it's actually a Security Six with fixed sights, it's a very early model and *might* have some collectible value. Security Sixes almost always have adjustable sights, Service Six and Speed Six were the fixed sight models.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a rough condition one. Real nice ones can be had for under $500.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772704016 VG condition, sold for $420.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771350864 $430

Etc.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Found a 1972 6" blued Security Six wood grips at LGS that was in really good shape with only slight cylinder markings...no box or holster...paid little less than one you're looking at.

1. I'm jealous! :thumbsup:

If it's actually a Security Six with fixed sights, it's a very early model and *might* have some collectible value. Security Sixes almost always have adjustable sights, Service Six and Speed Six were the fixed sight models.
    Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a rough condition one. Real nice ones can be had for under $500.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772704016 VG condition, sold for $420.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771350864 $430
    Etc.

2. I don't care about collectible value at this point in my life, just utility and resale, and I'm perfectly capable of selling this for a "better" gun.
    3. I was perfectly happy with my Smith 64-8 (or was that 66-8 that I had) but was told the Ruger Securty 6 was a "notch" or level above what I had.
    4. It is used for home protection and so I had to have a revolver (trust issues with semi-autos), but if I NEVER have an issue with my Glock 26, it could take over that role, or perhaps one of my FNS or even the Ruger P89SD could take over that role. But, I probably would sell all the others and keep the Glock since it does so many other things for me (bought .22LR conversion kit for it, as well).

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    1. I'm jealous! :thumbsup:

Ya, it's a keeper. If I would have set it down, several other guys within 'earshot' were hovering in to swoop it up. Glad I jumped on it after learning my lesson years ago being indecisive: (dammit, should have jumped on it...now it's gone!)

Top Bottom