• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Is the ruger scout worth the extra money over the American? I also couldn't decide what caliber would be the best since it would be my only hunting rifle at this time.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Is the ruger scout worth the extra money over the American? I also couldn't decide what caliber would be the best since it would be my only hunting rifle at this time.

Not sure about the American but the scout is sort of a concept rifle - dreamed up by Col. Jeff Cooper and some other gun nuts at gunsite ranch. There is a whole list of qualifications to meet to be considered a true "scout rifle" such as detachable magazine, maximum weight, power of cartridge, and of course the "scout scope" configuration. If you like the "scout rifle" concept then yes, the ruger scout will be worth the extra money. I like the concept and would pay the extra, especially if it were to be my only hunting rifle. But if you're not really into the whole scout rifle idea then there's no reason to pay extra if you just want a bolt action rifle. You might want to look at scoutrifle.org for more information

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What are you planing to hunt, and at what distances?

I don't know for sure but I would guess the Scout model has a slightly shorter barrel, which in theory would slightly diminish your shot distance.

Just a thought.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    What are you planing to hunt, and at what distances?

I don't know for sure but I would guess the Scout model has a slightly shorter barrel, which in theory would slightly diminish your shot distance.

Just a thought.

Yeah down to 500m min. So its not gonna be a problem for a hunting scenario unless you are targeting the deer at 1000m. :dunno:

Does anyone ever look at the effective range and trajectories of any given caliber/load.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    You're talking about this, right?

6803.jpg

Versus this:

american3.jpg

Kinda like comparing this:

TNC.jpg

To this:

Humvee-e1349507139900.jpg

Or this:

cessna-172-flying-m0a.jpg

to this:

3478971074_855a506b18.jpg

One has a bit more of an air of seriousness about it, don't you think? The Scout is definitely on my short list.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Not sure about the American but the scout is sort of a concept rifle - dreamed up by Col. Jeff Cooper and some other gun nuts at gunsite ranch. There is a whole list of qualifications to meet to be considered a true "scout rifle" such as detachable magazine, maximum weight, power of cartridge, and of course the "scout scope" configuration.

Is maximum the term you were looking for? I though that the scout rifle was to be light and easily mobile.

Parker

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I believe that was in mr Coopers original plan. The ruger is way heavier than what jeff was after. That being said i love short barrel short stock guns. I like it but for that kind of money a guy could dang near get a dpms 308 carbine with sights. I think it would be perfect if they made it with a light weight synthetic stock. I wouldnt mind picking one up.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If its a general hunting gun, there's no real disadvantage to the scout, except perhaps scope placement and limitations. Traditional wisdom would likely urge you to consider a regular hunting rifle. I would agree with traditional wisdom in this case. Also consider similarly priced guns from T/C, savage, maybe even a Tikka.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

For the intended purpose of hunting? No. The theory behind a scout rifle, among other things, is a forward mounted scope that lets you keep more peripheral vision. Fine if you are worried about being flanked on a battlefield, really of limited use for most hunting applications. Detachable magazine, again fine for the battlefield but of limited use in hunting. Weight wise, the Americans aren't heavy, so non-issue there.

If it was me, I'd go with the American and spend money on quality glass and ammo.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    For the intended purpose of hunting? No. The theory behind a scout rifle, among other things, is a forward mounted scope that lets you keep more peripheral vision. Fine if you are worried about being flanked on a battlefield, really of limited use for most hunting applications. Detachable magazine, again fine for the battlefield but of limited use in hunting. Weight wise, the Americans aren't heavy, so non-issue there.

If it was me, I'd go with the American and spend money on quality glass and ammo.

I agree with BBI's.Plus you have 6 caliber choices opposed to only 2 with the Scout and less than half the price.Don't get me wrong,I love the Ruger Scout and would like to have one some day.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I wanted one, found one and then discovered that it would only except Ruger Proprietary Mags. The Mag expense kept me from being an owner. I was under the misconception that it was designed to accept M1A mags but I was wrong.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

There are real differences, depends on how you value them.

The American was built to be a low cost rifle, it has a push feed rather than a controled feed bolt. In a controlled feed the round is grabbed by the bolt securely and fed out of the magazine and into the chamber. A push feed is exactly what it sounds like, and can, occasionally bobble the round about. The American also uses a barrel collet to headspace, less expensive system, but good.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I have the Ruger American in .308 with a Vortex 3 X 9 scope. I think it would be a great choice for hunting without breaking the piggy bank completely.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I believe you can mount a scope in the traditional position on the scout if you wish, it also has iron sights if that interests you. The newer polymer mags for the scout are much more affordable than the metal ones, they can also be fed through the top of the action to top off.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    mc68mu.png

My scout rifle. The LER scope is less useful than a red dot imho. I'm thinking of a Picatinny mount over the receiver with quick change options between a 3x9 and an Aimpoint

Top Bottom