Ruger Precision Rifle RPR bolt is stuck in action?!?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I recently got some scope caps for my RPR in 338Lapua. After putting them on I thought I'd just do a few dry fires and then put it back away in the safe. When I worked the bolt I heard something click, and now the bolt is jammed in there. I've tried working the bolt with stock folded and locked in place. Recently I took the bolt apart and put back together, so I can only imagine that I had done something wrong, and now it's locked up. Any advice would be awesome.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    What position is the firing pin in? Cocking piece broken? Firing pin protruding from bolt face - get a good light and look down barrel?

Break the plastic cocking piece shroud and retract firing pin if you have to.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I looked down the barrel with a flashlight and the firing pin is not protruding.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Hey Teddy, where are you located? If close enough you can try to look over mine and compare. Regardless, I agree with Fairlane, call Ruger and talk to them. I had a 243 RPR go to **** on me and they were very helpful.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took it in to the gunsmith over lunch. He's going to look at it and said he'd probably call Ruger. Either way, I just hope it's a simple/stupid fix and not something major. I'm happy to forfeit my man card if that's the case.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    You earn your man card by doing something epically stupid, and then figuring out how to get out of it without anyone else ever finding out.

Don't ask how I know this, it's classified...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The gunsmith called while I was out over lunch and fortunately, timing worked out awesome. Everything is put back together, back up and running. He said when I put the bolt back together I had something wrong and that's what caused it. I believe that completely and I can't give a big enough thanks to Ben at Worthy Treasures Firearms in Fort Wayne. He's quickly becoming my go to guy for everything gunsmithing.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    The gunsmith called while I was out over lunch and fortunately, timing worked out awesome. Everything is put back together, back up and running. He said when I put the bolt back together I had something wrong and that's what caused it. I believe that completely and I can't give a big enough thanks to Ben at Worthy Treasures Firearms in Fort Wayne. He's quickly becoming my go to guy for everything gunsmithing.
    Did he say how he got the bolt out or what exactly you did that was wrong? (Sorry, just don't want to make the same mistake...)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This won't be much help, but he had to use a small flat head to push back on a thing, then when a gap showed up behind that he twisted it with another thing, then had to put it all back together.

He said I'd put the firing pin or something else back in upside down or not quite in the right way.

I don't remember all the part names, but I remember where he pointed. Long story short, I really have no intention of ever taking that bolt apart again.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Nice to hear it was resolved. I put the bolt back together wrong on my SIG mpx and it caused me grief for a few hours until i phoned a friend. It happens, atleast shes back together!

TheFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    St. Joseph County
    Do they sell any reloading supplies? I'd be happy to help support them if they do.

Top Bottom