• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 9mm just for a range gun. I don't plan on carrying it and would like to spend no more than like $300. I have looked at the Ruger P95, any input on these would be great.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 9mm just for a range gun. I don't plan on carrying it and would like to spend no more than like $300. I have looked at the Ruger P95, any input on these would be great.

Rugged and reliable best describe the P95. I currently own two of them and they've been trouble-free. The only reason I would consider getting rid of them is to switch to Glock 19 or 17's so all my 9mm's would be the same platform.

They're not sexy and gun-snobs are never going to clamor for them but, the P95 goes bang every time and with a bag full of 15 round mags, you have a decent amount of handgun firepower at your disposal.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Shot one once, for what the gun cost brand new it really isn't bad. Went bang every time. Not sure if it was just the loads we were shooting or what but my friend's Ruger had snappy recoil. Could've just had an old spring :dunno:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I would have to agree, go ahead. Had one for years and it is one of the few that I really regret selling. Never a problem, it just went bang.

I've said it before, but the P95 has competed some pretty grueling endurance tests. I cannot find a reference to the first one I saw before I got mine way back when, but I dug this GunWeek Test article up a few weeks ago.

Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I will tell you that I don't like cleaning my wife's P95. If the ejector is not in the right place when reassembling, the slide gets all jammed up and requires brute surgical skill to fix...much prefer my Glock 19. That said, for shooting, her P95 always goes bang and is more comfortable to shoot (for her) than my Glock.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    I have a P95 and a P97 Ruger. They are both great range guns and I have never had a problem with either. I have almost 2000 rounds through the p95 and it still shoots like I just took it out of the box. For the money, they are great guns.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Highly recommended as a first-time, full-size pistol. I have seen used ones in really good condition for $250. I had one for a while, until Dad got hold of it. Accurate, reliable, and no nonsense.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    The P95 lives up to the Ruger "Built like a tank" reputation. They are great for range use and HD, but maybe a bit chunky for carry. There are decocker and decocker/safety models available. I did not care for the safety/decocker combo since you had to click it up to fire, which was the opposite of all my other pistols with manual safeties. I did love the ambi controls though - with decocker and mag release. Overall, I think it is one of the best values available.
    ---
    GB!

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I will also recommend the P95DC. Mine has been completely reliable. They are a bit big but they are simple and easy to clean and maintain. Yes, you have to watch that the extractor is lowered when you reassemble, but that shouldn't be a big issue.

\/ See signature below \/

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I own one, in my opinion it is about the best hammer fired pistol in 9mm you can get for the money. Very accurate and reliable.

It is not my daily carry, but I keep it in my bug out bag with a half a dozen mags. Makes me sleep very well at night.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I have P89 and will never part with it! They haven't changed much in the P series, so I wouldn't be afraid of picking up any of them.

Mine is a decocker and it is awesome! No safety, no fumbling, always ready, and ALWAYS fires! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I had one for a little over a decade and never had a FTF or FTE. It was a SS, DAO (KP95-DAO) model. I would trust my life to it. It saw nightstand duty and occasional range use, firing WWB, Blazer, & Federal with equal, trouble-free performance.
    I sold it here to another INGO memeber when I consolidated to similar platforms of XDs. Great gun. You won't be dissapointed.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    my first full size gun. and i did use to carry it. i would bet my life on it. great gun. never had problems with rugers

Top Bottom