• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    Hobart
    I have a dilemma with 1 of my MINI-14's, I have a ranch model that ejects the cases about 30 feet + which isn't a big deal for me but no one can sit next to me unless you don't mind being binked in the head with an empty case. It's also rough on the cases about the center of every case is a indention and also pierces the primer on just about every shell. My tactical MINI ejects shells normally like my other rifles. Has anyone else had similar issues

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My first thought is the head spacing is too small and the firing pin is going in too far. That could also explain the brass being ejected further as the rim is being expanded and causing a tighter fit against the ejector.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    As long as it's not a 180 series, it would probably be best (for now) to send it to Ruger and have them go over it. Piercing primers isn't a good thing, and ask them to polish the chamber while they're at it and inspect the ejection distance.

Best to use the warranty service first, then gunsmith second

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You could simply reserve it as your SHTF rifle so that you can simultaneously fire downrange and defend your right flank! :):

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Back to those pierced primers. What ammo have you had problems with? I'm wondering if this is a case of soft primers, or if it's the gun.
    I agree that if the gun needs work to send it to Ruger.
    I have an older Ranch that will launch brass several feet. I've always thought that was normal.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My Mini-14 also has the dents in the ejected casings. I think it has to do with the way the brass is pulled from the chamber and flipped backward. The brass hits the edge of the ejection port which causes the dent. I don't think its a big deal. I can tell from which case was fired from which rifle if there is a dent in the case or not. You might find some slo-mo YouTube videos demonstrating this.

Also, Mini-14's are notorious for flinging brass into the next county. I've debated on getting a smaller gas port to bring them in a bit. This possibly might eleviate the dented brass as the ejection process will be powered down a bit.

Can't comment on the pierced primers.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I'm not saying the rifle might not have mechanical issues, but my 580 series slings brass as does my AR and M1a. I use this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942827/ctk-precision-universal-brass-catcher

Top Bottom