• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    As stated previously, it's a must to disassemble and clean any new firearm before shooting it. One has to take it upon him/herself to make sure the weapon is in a safe condition to shoot, not rely on someone to have done it for them, such as the factory or dealer. There's not telling what may have happened to a firearm in the factory,during shipment, or while sitting at the dealer.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm curious just what the ammo was, if it was reload, +p+, a round that had been severely setback due to shipping or storage or manufacturer defect. If you can get those photos, please do post them.

trip007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Isn't it standard practice to test fire all pistols before leaving the factory? If so, do they re-oil/grease after the test fire? If not, wouldn't this all but eliminate the excess oil as the culprit? Just a thought.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I was wondering if they greased mine up before or after they fired that first round as well...........

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    It is possible that the barrel was just bad. It is mass production.

But since they are so many possibilities and we are only speculating I would really like to hear the results of this.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    He was probably using +P+ or something that the gun cant handle.

Guy is lucky. That gun is so small, there aren't many ways it can fail where your hand woudn't get hurt. I also wonder about the ammo. Ruger advises against +P in the LCP.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    +1 for always cleaning, inspecting, and learning how to properly field strip any gun priotr to use. Heck, I simply cant resist taking my guns apart and lea4ning them inside and ojt before even thinking about the range.

As far as I know, every manufacturer fires one round before shipping, and that spent case is usually in the box with initials of the inspector on it. Ruger has an excellent reputation, so I cant imagine them not performing that first shot themselves.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    I will try to get a picture. Havnt seen him yet at work. I can't get pictures to a thread. I will put it in my avatar. Ammo or gun I don't know which one was the culprit. But as far as damage it destroyed the gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Isn't it standard practice to test fire all pistols before leaving the factory? If so, do they re-oil/grease after the test fire? If not, wouldn't this all but eliminate the excess oil as the culprit? Just a thought.

Hmm...what if it was test fired...with a bad load....and the bullet didn't exit the barrel? The next one would cause a mishap. Just one more reason to take a new gun apart and inspect it, before shooting it. I did that with my MP day I bought it. Tore it down at the gunshop, looked it over carefully, reassmbled, and went and shot it. t hen i took it home, tore it down, and cleaned it.

Murphy's law: If anything bad can happen, it probably will.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess we will never know. Sorry to hear he took it back to the dealer and got a new one... I would have dealt direct with Ruger on it so I could follow up on what the problem was. Why would I just want another one? Besides Ruger may have thrown in a free hat or something... yes, I am a ho for the freebie.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Previously, someone mentioned the possibility of a round that had had the bullet set back. This isn't too far fetched, for a new gun owner to have fun hand-cycling a mag full of ammo, until it was all unsafe.

I know there was a time when I probably did, totally ignorant of the dangers of the round being overpressured at detonation. In retrospect, I'm probably very fortunate to not have had an incident like this.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    picture.php

EEK Maybe fired out of battery?:dunno:

Top Bottom