• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Greetings all--this is my first post. Anyway, on an impulse buy, I bought both myself and my wife a ruger LCP. I decided to break mine in this past weekend. I fired 84 rounds and the gun jammed 6 times. Later that day, I decided to just load my wife's gun and see how it felt. After I inserted a fully loaded clip and pulled the slide back, the slide only returned to the front about 80% of the way. I had to screw with it to even chamber a bullet. I have two other handguns and never had these problems with either. Do these tiny pistols just need a lot of breaking in? Any similar experiences?

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have never had a problem with mine but have heard other ppl had.

Were you shooting it or was she? Since the gun is so small and most ppl can only get their middle and ring finger on the grip they dont hold it as tight and it will short stroke. What ammo where you shooting?

Also heard if it is an earlier one you can send it back to Ruger and they will fix it.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Were you using full metal jacketed ammo or jacketed hollow points?

But in my experience they need to be broken in a bit. Make sure you aren't limp wristing and make sure you are letting the slide go home without slowing it down when cambering a round.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was shooting remington FMJ. I'm not limp wristing (but yes, I can only get two fingers on the grip) and I always pull the slide to the back and let it go completely. I cleaned and lubed each gun as well... What would Ruger offer? I can call later but don't want to call if they are just going to say tough ****.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I was shooting remington FMJ. I'm not limp wristing (but yes, I can only get two fingers on the grip) and I always pull the slide to the back and let it go completely. I cleaned and lubed each gun as well... What would Ruger offer? I can call later but don't want to call if they are just going to say tough ****.

I would say your next step would be to put another 100-150 rounds though it and if it continues to do it then call them and see what they say. You dont want it to just be a "Break In" problem.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Alright, I'll try and put some more rounds through each and see what happens. After 150 rounds though, if it jams, I'm going to be calling Ruger. I'd prefer mine not jam but I won't have my wife's jamming. That's unacceptable.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN

You're in good hands with Ruger. They'll probably advise you to shoot a couple hundred rounds in it first. If you are still unsatisfied, they will send you a shipping label and give you instructions on how to return your pistol for evaluation and repair. Ruger Pistols - Ruger Forum is a good place to go to read about Ruger handguns.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    To be clear, you are having this issue in two seperate LCP's?

To me, that would point to ammo. Try, if you can find it, some Federal FMJ.

My wife and I both have LCP's. I've never had any problems with either in shooting Federal ball, Hornady Critical Defense or my reloads. Winchester White box on the other hand did exactly as you stated. The WWB when ran through a chrono showed it was crap ammo with velocities all over the map.

Make sure you are gripping the gun like you are afraid someone is going to take it away from you. You might do a polish on the feed ramps of both as well. This will help.

Make certain you are sling shoting the slide when racking a round in.

By the way, clips won't work in that gun. Only mags. :)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    To be clear, you are having this issue in two seperate LCP's?

To me, that would point to ammo.

^^^This. I'm speculating it is either ammo or grip. I know you say you aren't limpwristing, but be sure you aren't. I know, I know....we are manly men and we don't limpwrist a little gun. I am guilty of it myself at times. I recently bought a Kahr CM40 and had several rounds that didn't fully chamber. After trying several things I figured out what the problem was.....Me! I was holding it too softly (limpwristing). As soon as I firmed up my grip and locked my wrist, the problems went away.

I think if this isn't your problem, give some different ammo a try. Let us know how it goes!

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I have never had a problem with mine but have heard other ppl had.

Were you shooting it or was she? Since the gun is so small and most ppl can only get their middle and ring finger on the grip they dont hold it as tight and it will short stroke. What ammo where you shooting?

Also heard if it is an earlier one you can send it back to Ruger and they will fix it.
    If you are gripping any handgun properly, those are the only fingers you should be gripping with (your pinky is the one that tends to pull shots down). And like Looney2ns said, grip it like someone is trying to rip it from your hands.

The LCP will feed some ammo real well right out of the box, while some others need a break-in period. You can try polishing the feed ramp. That might save you a hundred rounds of .380ACP in getting it functioning right.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That's your problem... trying to run a semi-auto pistol with a clip instead of a magazine!

Works fine for me... :D

Mauser_C96_M1916_Red.jpg

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Not sure if this will help but opn mine the first round from a full mag i would have to bump the slide closed, then it fed and fired fine. Was not an issue since it was only the very first round. Double check on the limp wristing nobody ever admits their doing it. It is very important on these tiny guns.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I would say run a few boxes of different fmj thru it, try picking up some Federal. I would stay away from Winchester White Box, the flat nose can cause feeding issues. When shooting, gorilla grip it like someone is gonna take it from you. After you get used to it you'll get the feel for it. You could buff the feed ramp as well. If you try polishing, remember you just want to make the ramp shiny. I like Flitz, good stuff and you can pick it up at ACE Hardware. Don't get discouraged though, LCPs are great guns and can be surprisingly accurate once you get used to them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom