• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've been wanting a low cost bolt action 5.56/223 suppressor host for when my stamp comes back here in about month or so and have seen the predator version of these rifles at my LGS and they are priced very nice at less than $400 new out the door. But have read an watched mixed reviews on the predator. So I seen the "Ranch" version and think it would be awesome for what I'm wanting it for with the 16" barrel. So do any members have any first hand experience with either of these rifles? An some thoughts?... Thanks fellas!!!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Tagged to follow this.

I have not seen much discussion on these rifles. The price point makes the Predator intriguing.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Tagged to follow this.

I have not seen much discussion on these rifles. The price point makes the Predator intriguing.

Yea me either, cant even find much on youtube but most of what I have found is pretty mixed. Just wondering if the bad reviews were due to the first run of them an if they have them lined out by now. But for the price point they might be worth taking a chance on.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Unless, I'm wrong. Jeff at Ace Hardware had one.

Yep...He almost didn't...I came close to getting it but ended up with that Uberti Schofield he had on consignment instead...We used to live on lake Iola for about 5 years and after Church, Wal Mart run and Marianne's pancakes I would spend the rest of the Sunday BS'ing with Jeff and usually John....One of the best gun counters in Southern Indiana IMHO......

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Yea me either, cant even find much on youtube but most of what I have found is pretty mixed. Just wondering if the bad reviews were due to the first run of them an if they have them lined out by now. But for the price point they might be worth taking a chance on.

Every review I've seen sort of says the same thing...the fit and finish isn't great, the stock is flimsy and not ideal for shooting with a bipod, and the comb needs to be higher for a good cheek weld (just like every other factory rifle), but they function well and are very accurate for the money. I think they're the go-to answer now when someone asks "what inexpensive rifle should I get to shoot paper to 500 yards, and maybe hunt with?" I like Savage, but I think Ruger is quickly surpassing them when it comes to listening to the market, and responding with really cool products that fill a need. These and the Axis were pretty similar, but the American Rifles have stolen almost all the market share (as I see it anyway).

Gun Review: Ruger American Rifle Predator In 6.5 Creedmoor - The Truth About Guns

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The RARs are by far the best entry level rifles on the market.

The 5.56 version is twisted right, chambered sensibly, and in the compact and Ranch configurations the barrel length is in the right range. The mag is as good as it gets, though it need to be modified to allow good 0.224" bullets, which is easily done. As are most factory plastics, the stock is junk. Boyd's makes a laminate that works well and an ear to the ground says McMillan is doing a run before long.

I have one in Ranch config and one in Compact. I prefer Ranch apart from the fact that they hit the barrel length on the button, which leaves no room to set it back and punch the chamber to 223AI without a stamp.

Extractors on both of the above, as well as a Ranch in 243, needed some adjustment to hang on to the case all the way to the ejector. Have some friends who's copies worked well out of the box.

Last edited:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Yep...He almost didn't...I came close to getting it but ended up with that Uberti Schofield he had on consignment instead...We used to live on lake Iola for about 5 years and after Church, Wal Mart run and Marianne's pancakes I would spend the rest of the Sunday BS'ing with Jeff and usually John....One of the best gun counters in Southern Indiana IMHO......

Oh man, I remember that Schofield!! Beautiful gun. Yeah, Jeff is top notch, NO BS guy and I don't mind traveling to buy from him.

The case hardened receiver Schofield right?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I've known Jeff for a long time I used to be neighbors an rode quads with his brother Mark, couple real good guys. I usually end up spending a bit of time talking to him and or Luccas when I go in there, lol.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The RARs are by far the best entry level rifles on the market.

The 5.56 version is twisted right, chambered sensibly, and in the compact and Ranch configurations the barrel length is in the right range. The mag is as good as it gets, though it need to be modified to allow good 0.224" bullets, which is easily done. As are most factory plastics, the stock is junk. Boyd's makes a laminate that works well and an ear to the ground says McMillan is doing a run before long.

I have one in Ranch config and one in Compact. I prefer Ranch apart from the fact that they hit the barrel length on the button, which leaves no room to set it back and punch the chamber to 223AI without a stamp.

Extractors on both of the above, as well as a Ranch in 243, needed some adjustment to hang on to the case all the way to the ejector. Have some friends who's copies worked well out of the box.

Yea I have to say I am Savage Fan, but I will say the Ruger has a lot going for it in their price point. Great trigger being the biggest, when compared to the Axis its hands down better. I'm assuming what you mean by allowing "good" .224 bullets you mean the 69gr stuff? Does the mag need lengthened internally?

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I've got a ranch version. Bought it for a light coyote rifle. Balances good with my m4-2000. Took some old 40 grain vmax handloads to break the barrel in and sight it in and ended up not trying anything else. This one is a shooter. I just pulled my trail camera yesterday and out of 430 pics most were coyotes instead of deer this time so it looks like we're going to spend a lot of time together.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've got a ranch version. Bought it for a light coyote rifle. Balances good with my m4-2000. Took some old 40 grain vmax handloads to break the barrel in and sight it in and ended up not trying anything else. This one is a shooter. I just pulled my trail camera yesterday and out of 430 pics most were coyotes instead of deer this time so it looks like we're going to spend a lot of time together.

Sweet, how is the accuracy on it? Have you shot any groups with it to see how it does? Post us up pic!!!!

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I can tell you with the 40gr load it will hold around 3/4" and for the intended purpose I have NO complaints. I wish I had that load wrote down because I don't have many left. I am going to try my 55gr varmint nightmare loads next. I have several thousand of those loaded so I'm hoping it does well with it also. I have a leupold 6.5-20 scope on it, might be overkill but I can see my target just fine! I would not hesitate to purchase one again. I did have to sand the barrel channel a little bit near the tip and I torqued the action screws to 65 in. lbs. Now my goal is to bloody it up a bit with some coyotes. Did I mention I hate coyotes.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I'm assuming what you mean by allowing "good" .224 bullets you mean the 69gr stuff? Does the mag need lengthened internally?

I mean a 75 AMax.

The supplied mag does not permit the 75 AMax to be loaded with its ogive above the case mouth. Luckily the mag is modular and the rear cap easily removed. Filling the voids on the outside of the that cap with something suitable, then milling the track loaded shells follow so that it is ~0.67 deeper, allows mag feeding that bullet seated to the lands. Whittaker Guns sells a prefab replacement cap that does same.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I can tell you with the 40gr load it will hold around 3/4" and for the intended purpose I have NO complaints. I wish I had that load wrote down because I don't have many left. I am going to try my 55gr varmint nightmare loads next. I have several thousand of those loaded so I'm hoping it does well with it also. I have a leupold 6.5-20 scope on it, might be overkill but I can see my target just fine! I would not hesitate to purchase one again. I did have to sand the barrel channel a little bit near the tip and I torqued the action screws to 65 in. lbs. Now my goal is to bloody it up a bit with some coyotes. Did I mention I hate coyotes.

Looks good what can you using? I like that its in a 1:8 twist seems like you should be able to use a pretty good range of projectile weights for what ever job your wanting to do with it. That's good to know on the accuracy I was wondering about that as I've seen some pretty bad reviews on the Predator as far as accuracy goes.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I mean a 75 AMax.

The supplied mag does not permit the 75 AMax to be loaded with its ogive above the case mouth. Luckily the mag is modular and the rear cap easily removed. Filling the voids on the outside of the that cap with something suitable, then milling the track loaded shells follow so that it is ~0.67 deeper, allows mag feeding that bullet seated to the lands. Whittaker Guns sells a prefab replacement cap that does same.

Got ya, thanks for the info Ill keep that in mind. I think Im probably going to end up giving one of the ranch versions a try.

Top Bottom