• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is getting old; I'm impatient to be further down the road with this pain thing.
    After getting off pain pills for 1 day after being home for only 2 days: I learned my lesson and started taking 2/day.
    Today I took 3, but just got out of bed to take another b/c I couldn't sleep, so I took a pain pill about every 4 hrs. and haven't taken one before bed before.
    I'm becoming a girly-man before my eyes. :laugh:

The usual to-be-expected slight depression, especially in the am when I get up around 6ish, which is totally counter to my usual natural disposition is present, and my zeal for the next tomorrow when going to bed has waned since I can't have my freedom.

I told the wife once the PT person approves my getting into a car, she's going to have to take me here and there: a Sams Club outing sounds like a vacation at this point.
    I was told I couldn't drive for 6 weeks, but I hope to do that in 2, but the wife will probably hide the car keys.
    I know I can't drive the low roadster with a clutch (Honda S2000), but the Corolla should be doable.

I really can't wait to be able to use a cane to go to the range for a distraction, even if I could only last 30 minutes or even less.

Been reading a really good book and started watching "Madame Secretary" Season One that my son got my for Father's Day (tradition of gifts of DVD series).
    I don't last long, my concentration is limited.

hang in there! You will get better.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    hang in there! You will get better.

1. Thanks! This is not my first "rodeo," but being older, recovery after surgery is taking longer and I am impatient.
    2. But, when I consider what others have to go through I'm very grateful this is just a "normal and routine" surgery, just takes awhile for complete recovery.
    I have a personal friend who has been the "walking dead" for 2 yrs. now: we still don't know whether he'll make it (he just spent 7 weeks at the Cleveland Clinic which is unfathomable today when they get you in and out of the hospital.
    3. A teacher friend of mine who lives in AL has had both hips done, and he said he was back to ball-room dancing after 3.5 weeks! He was the kind of guy in my late thirties (he was the P.E. teacher at my school) when we would lift weights together he would do deep squats with double his body weight (#320). I can remember doing strict military presses with #190 (tad more than my body weight): Oh, to be young!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started using my cane today w/o proper clearance from my P.T. person, but they are supposed to be here yet today.
    My wife is really on me and I just tell her she is the letter of the law/rules and I'm the spirit and intent of the law/rules,
    and I know what my body can and can't do (spend a few times in rehab in my life with legs, shoulders, back and the like.

I plan to go ahead and teach my Sunday am class on the book of Acts this Sunday, unless they won't let me, and that will wear me out, but I have plenty of time for recovery, ha!
    I plan to get approved to ride in the car, which means hopefully I can get my wife to drop me off at the range, if not this week, next Monday for sure!
    I have an FNS 9mm that I haven't even tried out yet (not the Longslide) b/c I've been busy working the .22 LRs, and want to be sure about selling the Shield Compact and the Walther P22Q and to test out my "new" Dan Wesson .22 6 shot and see how it compares to the other .22 revolvers (GP100, Taurus 990 & HR 939).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    PT has left and I'm formally approved to use a cane. :fogey:
    My wife ratted me out telling him I'd been using it already!
    Got formally approved to get in and out of a car (was going to do that tomorrow anyway, couldn't do that today b/c my wife took the car all afternoon).
    I'm hoping she'll drop me off at the range tomorrow, but she might make me wait till Friday.
    It's tough having an ex-first grade teacher rule-keeper be your "home nurse," she thinks all recovery rates have to go by the book. :wallbash:
    I've told her my decades of being in stellar physical conditioning (despite what the arthritis has done lately) should count for something) plus I'm a young 65 (I'd really hate to get this done at 85).

I'm a little excited and feel like I've turned the corner since I am improving a little each day even though I think I'll have a limp for a bit.
    Staples come out in 4-5 more days!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    An update for the 5 people interested in reading my medical journey. :lmfao:
    Day 11 after surgery.
    Day 9 had a range trip: gone 1.5 hours and I was worn out. :fogey:
    Day 10 I had a 3 hour trip to sell the Mustang and visited 3 gun shops while I was "in the neighborhood (Westfield and Noblesville).
    Getting in and out of the car is the "beast."
    I was so worn from it, my wife had to go pick up the Redbox vid and Pizza.
    P.T. has gone well with me progressing noticeably every 2 days he comes by: next week will be the last in-home P.T. then I'll be turned over to the torturers of out-patient (rumor :crying:)
    I am going nowhere today (wife going to have car for early and late P.M. outings (probably just to get away from me :laugh:).
    I'm going to take me ease and use the time to prepare for my Acts Bible Study class Sunday, which I cannot believe I hesitated to do so just 3 days and only 2 days ago decided I would have the stamina for it. :coffee:
    I am pleased with the daily progress: slow but steady, so I quit being depressed/discouraged after day 5 or 6.
    Drain hole in leg quit discharging blood Day 10 finally.
    Swelling improved and w/i acceptable limits and on the "better" side comparatively.
    By 2 weeks out (Tuesday, June 26th) I will be amazed at what the 3 week mark will hold.

Being able to get in the car at Day 9 (guidelines said 4-6 weeks???) was huge psychologically.
    I now can have the distraction of going to the range everyday and verify that I should sell a couple more guns right away with 2 more eventually this summer perhaps.
    I will be able to also get some comic books left over from collecting when my 33 yr. old son was 10ish and get them listed for sale to free up space in garage now that I can get into the car to drive to meet people.
    I can't wait to try to mow the grass, but not there yet, and really can't wait to see how long before I can ride my "step-though" old man's bike (before school starts last week of July hopefully).
    Day 9, after my 1st outing, I shaved the growing beard I had going for fun.
    vr21wNd.jpg

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This story amazes me. My dad had his right hip replaced 6-7 times in his life. I still remember in about 1976 spending 3 months going to and from Mayo Clinic every weekend. His all started with a botched replacement in early 70's by Dr. Anthony Lasich(not sure spelled correct) then staph almost killing him. The Dr cut my dads bone to short for the pin that was to replace his bone, then the bone broke. They tried fixing him 2-3 times before he went to Mayo Clinic in Mn. for surgery. They gave him a total hip replacement and fake bone in his upper leg, lower body cast with legs elevated, spread and a bar between them for months. I still remember them bringing him to his room and he wouldnt fit thru the door...the Dr.s casted his legs too wide to go thru the door. They brought in maintenance workers who took doors out and cut the wall wider. That fake hip failed as well after about 10 years. Dad finally got peace around early 90's when the VA Hospital brought in some of the finest surgeons in the world and they did a replacement on my dad, finally it was repaired properly.

Amazing how things have progressed. 40 years ago you would have been screwed for months....now they are up walking in a few days. Kudos to the people who make this stuff possible. Simply astonishing what they can do....

Wishing you the best of luck my friend. Hope you get well soon.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This story amazes me. My dad had his right hip replaced 6-7 times in his life. I still remember in about 1976 spending 3 months going to and from Mayo Clinic every weekend. His all started with a botched replacement in early 70's by Dr. Anthony Lasich(not sure spelled correct) then staph almost killing him. The Dr cut my dads bone to short for the pin that was to replace his bone, then the bone broke. They tried fixing him 2-3 times before he went to Mayo Clinic in Mn. for surgery. They gave him a total hip replacement and fake bone in his upper leg, lower body cast with legs elevated, spread and a bar between them for months. I still remember them bringing him to his room and he wouldnt fit thru the door...the Dr.s casted his legs too wide to go thru the door. They brought in maintenance workers who took doors out and cut the wall wider. That fake hip failed as well after about 10 years. Dad finally got peace around early 90's when the VA Hospital brought in some of the finest surgeons in the world and they did a replacement on my dad, finally it was repaired properly.
    Amazing how things have progressed. 40 years ago you would have been screwed for months....now they are up walking in a few days. Kudos to the people who make this stuff possible. Simply astonishing what they can do....
    Wishing you the best of luck my friend. Hope you get well soon.

1. Your story makes me sweat just reading it: unfathomable!
    2. Yes, I am grateful to stand on the shoulders of the early pioneers getting this done and know I have no complaints worth doucumenting.
    3. I'm in a small Bible study on Monday evenings and 3 people there have had this done, and all of them are younger than me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The hardware is so much better now too. Insanely good. And expensive.

1. Yes, the Doctor was explaining that my leg was shorter than the other (very common) and he had to put a "spacer" in of some sort (also very common).
    2. I'm sure that cost an extra few bucks!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    1. Your story makes me sweat just reading it: unfathomable!
    2. Yes, I am grateful to stand on the shoulders of the early pioneers getting this done and know I have no complaints worth doucumenting.
    3. I'm in a small Bible study on Monday evenings and 3 people there have had this done, and all of them are younger than me.

I really enjoy reading your progress. You remember Bo Jackson? I always liked him and was amazed when he came back to play baseball with an artificial hip, that was inspiration and hope to not only the medical fields, but the people who was suffering with bad hips. Seems like after him everything started improving....maybe just coincidence though.

Regardless, wishing you the best and looking forward to following your improvement to a full recovery.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoy reading your progress. You remember Bo Jackson? I always liked him and was amazed when he came back to play baseball with an artificial hip, that was inspiration and hope to not only the medical fields, but the people who was suffering with bad hips. Seems like after him everything started improving....maybe just coincidence though.
    Regardless, wishing you the best and looking forward to following your improvement to a full recovery.

1. Yes, believe it or not the nurse was talking about him!
    2. I think he was the one who played football and baseball and after surgery he had to give up the football but continued baseball: totally amazing!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1. Yes, believe it or not the nurse was talking about him!
    2. I think he was the one who played football and baseball and after surgery he had to give up the football but continued baseball: totally amazing!

1. It's good to hear you're doing well Doddg.

B. A career in baseball might not be on the table like with Bo Jackson, but getting getting through rehab and back to the range is pretty darn good!

Lebbenty-Lebben: Listen to your Docs, they went to school a long time for this stuff.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. It's good to hear you're doing well Doddg.
    B. A career in baseball might not be on the table like with Bo Jackson, but getting getting through rehab and back to the range is pretty darn good!
    Lebbenty-Lebben: Listen to your Docs, they went to school a long time for this stuff.

1. Yes, today is Day 12: went to Church using the cane, not the walker. Taught a class on Acts ch. 18 and then went to service: worn out when I got home.
    2. Ate the best fajitas in my life with the wife on the way home around Wannamaker.
    3. After not taking any pain pills, even before bed so as to sleep better, I took one at 6:30, 1 pm and 5 pm: that's the kind of day it has been.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm grateful for week 2 being summarily better than week 1.
    Had a few days w/o any pain pills, only had 1 in the past 2 days and won't have any today, so I could be done with them.
    I had a Men's Prayer Breakfast at 6 am Tues. and I took one at 5:15 am, and I don't intend to take any unless like Sunday when I had a 5 hour outing and it wears on me.
    I'm not pain-free at night but I haven't taken one before bed for days now, so I'm encouraged that I'm getting to the "no-pill" time.
    I have taken 27 of my 42 pain pills that they gave me.
    I had a close friend who has been through this and he only took 10 pain pills when he got home and was driving on the 4th day (took me till the 9th day over my wife's protestations. Only her Corolla, not my low-slung, manual-tranny convertible: I think I could drive it since my left foot can do the clutch, but I don't think I can get in and out of it (barely do it when I was healthy, ha!)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Day 17
    I'm really encouraged.
    Yesterday I noticed a difference in walking even w/o the cane for short little "fetch-in-the-next-room" type of runs, limping, of course.
    Even the P.T. guy had me do a couple of loops around the kitchen/living room w/o a cane.
    This am I noticed yet a slight improvement over yesterday and it is so cool seeing/feeling slight noticeable improvement every day. :D
    Since I got the "staples" out Monday I'm allowed to hit the shower today :rofl:. Yes, my life is that boring to where that seems like a big deal. Using "bath wipes" gets old after a few days.
    Actually, I've been going to the range nearly every day since Day 9, even met up with a member yesterday (Day 16) that I bought a gun off of in the past and nearly bought a Mark 4 off of recently, but I'm trying to behave myself: I mean how many different .22LRs semi-autos can a person enjoy. :dunno: :laugh:

I hope to mow grass in the next day or two (all 4 wheels propel so it will be like a motorized rollator/walker that I've got (love mine with the seat!).
    My next big thing will be to be able to just get in and out of my roadster (2004 Honda S2000 convertible).
    Been thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler since December when I researched for one and would have bought 2 different ones, but one sold: $10k, with 100k miles, don't remember year, but tons of updates for things that need attention at 100k miles, owned by an older man like myself (who can afford good maintenance), and the other was a drop-dead gorgeous really decked out "town-Jeep" in perfect shape for $14-$15k with around 50k miles, but the guy wasn't serious about selling: very strange, I think he was just testing the waters.
    What I really wanted to buy was a Jeep with 8k miles on it from an older guy like myself with a price of $17-$18K. It was perfect color, not jacked up higher with a lift with a step, but he wouldn't budge on price, and any car just sitting in a garage can have issues when you start to drive it and would need every fluid replaced just for starters, but still I can't forget about it.
    I know I could drive it (lifting up my feet for clutch/brake/accelerator), but with my arthritis and being borderline fat (in denial :laugh:) it was hard to get in/out before surgery. :ugh:
    I should have had this "dream car" #30-40 ago and in my 30s. :rockwoot:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    When I had my ACL fixed I got this neat little device that looks like a water jug. Fill it with ice water and it used air pressure to force cold water into an inflatable "bag" that surrounded my knee. It was incredible and keep swelling down in a week. I don't think a big inflatable ice water diaper would be available for a hip surgery but I've got to ask if there is suck a thing. If so, we don't need pictures. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When I had my ACL fixed I got this neat little device that looks like a water jug. Fill it with ice water and it used air pressure to force cold water into an inflatable "bag" that surrounded my knee. It was incredible and keep swelling down in a week. I don't think a big inflatable ice water diaper would be available for a hip surgery but I've got to ask if there is suck a thing. If so, we don't need pictures. :):

1. I cannot quit chuckling! :laugh:
    2. They did give me a 12"-14" x 5"-6" "pad" that is joined/bends in the middle like 2 pads connected.
    3. You freeze the "inserts" and sit on it while you bend the other pad up vertically on the hip: works great!
    4. I keep it wedged up against me with a pillow on the vertical part. I quit using it yesterday, Day 16.
    5. Don't know how much good it did, but it felt good. The hospital didn't keep the ice on me after surgery b/c it was overlooked: bummer!
    6. I pointed it out, as only a teacher asking questions could to bring it to light in such a way to get the darn ice pack going again.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Glad to hear you're making good progress. How's the scar looking? Mine was not real pretty and, even though there are a very limited number of people who will ever see it, I didn't like it. Never gonna' be something to show-off but vitamin E oil helped a lot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear you're making good progress. How's the scar looking? Mine was not real pretty and, even though there are a very limited number of people who will ever see it, I didn't like it. Never gonna' be something to show-off but vitamin E oil helped a lot.

1. I actually can't see it. I took a pic right after the surgery and it was what you'd think.
    2. Today, I took a peek from a mirror, and it was soo much better.
    3. I think you'll be surprised on how it will heal up, but it will take time to look like you'd want it: smart, using the E.

Top Bottom