• ...and so much more!
  • rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I thought I'd do a quick review of these single shots. I'm really only focused on the 44mag barrel but right off the bat I have to say, I really like these for the money, so much I bought two of them (one for my Father and one for me). Blued finish, plastic stock and fore grip, fit was good, finish was good, the 44mag barrel had a cut crown, safety is in an odd place. So here goes...
    This is a stock picture from their site (mine doesn't have the muzzleloader but you get the picture)
    S202250YMBS.jpg

First off this review is mainly for the 44mag but I did shot the 20 gauge and it held a decent pattern @ 25yrds (I would say more shot hit the paper than missed it)
    Second, I sighted in the 22LR and it seemed to group pretty good. It has a fairly heavy barrel and I only shot it @ 25yrds.
    Third, and most importantly :) the 44mag. Above I mentioned that I had also bought my Dad one of these and that was the first one I sighted in at his house in Anderson last weekend. It was open sights @ 65yrds and it grouped very well and got me excited to try mine.
    I Put a inexpensive 4x Barska I had laying around on the 44mag barrel(mount comes per installed on this barrel) and finally got out to Tri-County range yesterday afternoon. I shot with the forearm resting on a stand and the rear against my shoulder. I was very happy with the results. The first picture is @ 50yrds. First shot was left, second was closer and I shot 2 more without moving the scope (I was excited to see how it would group) and the third group was 10 shots. This was with a 240gr HP handloads
    44magSightin50yrds.gif

I then moved over to the 100yrd range and was pleased with the groupings I got there too. These were shot with Hornaday Leverevolutions. I had used all of the handloads I had with me. This is 5 shots @ 100yrds, measured 1-7/8" center to center. I'm happy and at these prices (I paid 275.00), I don't know how you can go wrong. I'm ready for gun season :rockwoot:
    44mag5at100yrds.gif

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Very timely review for me, thanks!

Cathy says she wants a deer gun instead of a .380 now... actually, she wants one of everything and is trying to make it hard to pick an anniversary present for her. She's been very pleased with her little Rossi .22/20 guage matched set, and I was thinking of one of these for her, in the same combo you got. Actually, at the prices they go for, I was thinking of letting her buy me one for my anniversary present, also :D

I'm pleased to see the .44 mag delivers good accuracy. I've been trying to find some input on it. Most of what I've found concerns the .243 barrel, which seems to deliver lukewarm accuracy.

How's the .44 kick in this gun? Cathy's not a huge fan of much recoil. 20 guage is kind of right at her comfort zone.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Thanks,
    It has a decent pad on it and the kick was about 1/2 that of my Puma 44 mag and less than the 20 gage for sure. The rifle is kinda light with the 20 gage barrel on and had a fair amount of kick to it. It has a heavier barrel on the 44 and I'm sure that's why itwas fairly mild.
    Yes it came with all three barrels. The one that wasn't on display had the barrels in plastic and covered in oil. It might be worth checking the barrels out before you buy. My Dads 22LR barrel was not machined as smooth as mine but it was fine.
    I bought both of these @ Millers gun sales in Syracuse, IN. He said he had 4 more coming in but I'm not sure if they've made it.

Two other note I forgot to mention:
    It has a removable (with screws) rubber cheek pad that works great with the 44mag barrel and not so good with the 22LR unless you would put a scope on it BUT it's worthless with the 20 gauge. You just can't get down on it.
    And it come with tru-Glow type sights on both the 44mag and the 22LR

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Went out tonight and tried out my handloads @ 100yrds, 240gr hornady XTPs over 10.2grs of HP-38 produced a 5 shot 1 9/16" group. Even better than the Leverevolutions did Tuesday.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I own two of these packages, though they are in the YOUTH platform. I love them both. Heck of a setup for the money.

In 2006 I purchased the .22lr/20ga/50ml combo for my oldest daughter. The set up has wood furniture. The fit/finish is very nice, again considering the price point. At the time, I paid $219 for the package. I topped the muzzleloader off with a red dot scope. It is a tack driving little gun. She has killed two deer with it to date. She also enjoys shooting the .22 very much.

Then last spring after a long wait for it to finally make it to the shops, I bought the youth .22lr/20ga/44mag combo in black synthetic for my youngest daughter. Again, fit and finish is great given the price point. I paid $295 for the complete set up. I topped the .44 mag off with a red dot and it is a tack driver as well out to 50 yards, the furthest I'll let her shoot at this time. She also enjoys shooting the .22. Just two weeks ago, she killed her first deer ever at 8 years old with the .44 mag.

GREAT guns for the money.

Youth .44 mag combo
    IMG_1572.jpg

Youth .50 ml combo
    Rossi.jpg

Trev shooting her Rossi before season in 2008.
    Trevor22.jpg

Trev with her Rossi .50 ml kill from 2008.
    2008TrevorDeer01.jpg

Syd with her Rossi .44 mag kill from a couple weeks ago.
    SydneysDeer01.jpg

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Had I known you were in the market for them, I'd have gladly brought one along for you to check out when we met up a few weeks ago.

FYI - loving that .357 Rossi ... thanks man!:cool:

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I wish I had known :) I'm glad you're liking the .357, it always shot well.
    We need to go shooting sometime. :ar15:

Had I known you were in the market for them, I'd have gladly brought one along for you to check out when we met up a few weeks ago.

FYI - loving that .357 Rossi ... thanks man!:cool:

Top Bottom