• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    So I was bored at work and decided to take a stroll thru Dick's. On the rack I noticed a Rossi M92 on sale for $399.99. I am not sure which barrel it has but I am going to guess 16". It also has the scope base on it in what looks like a "scout" position.

I have been looking at the Ruger 77/44 and I know the Ruger is a better gun but for the price it leaves alot in my budget for a nice scope. I want to use it as a deer rifle.

Has anyone had experience with the M92? At $400 dollars should I jump on it? Or are they garbage and stick with the 77/44?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't know how they compare to the 77/44...probably not as good...but I haven't heard anything bad about the Rossi's. You'll get the standard 'they aren't made in USA so they suck people...but I believe there are a lot of .44 Mag Rossi's killing deer in Indiana.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    People can say what they want about Rossi. I have a mid 80's SS 4" 357Magnum from them and it shoots dead nuts. At the same time I have seen some newer Rossi's that feel and shoot like junk.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had a 20" stainless Rossi 92 in 44mag since it became legal in Indiana to hunt deer with one. I love my rifle, and everyone that has held has had nice things to say about how well it felt and carried. A couple of people have bought their own after giving mine a test drive. I've been shooting 240gr hornady XTP's out of it and it functions perfectly. It's a Winchester design and you're not going to find many people complaining about much more than fit and finish on these rifle. Mine has earned some scratches so the fit and finish is perfect in my eyes.

If you're looking at the scout model brand new for $400 I'd jump on that like a fat kid on a cake (as a former fat kid I can assure you that's very fast). Normally those rifles run closer to $500. It's probably a 20" blued round barrel with no rear sight if it's truly the scout model. I'm not an expert on the 44mag twist rates in rifle but from what I understand Rossi/Legacy got it right.

Between the ruger, or the 92 I don't think you'd see much accuracy difference between them. You would notice a bigger difference in the field of view that's available and I would think a follow up shot would be quicker with a lever than a bolt. I clearly admit my bias, but If you're looking for a 44mag and have $400 in your wallet I'd go pounce on that rifle if you wanted it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The Rossi is a Winchester licensed copy of the Model 1892. Winchester licensed a few manufacturers to build exact copies of the Model 92 when they stopped full production back in 1945. The licensed manufacturers are Browning, Navy Arms, Chiappa, Armi San Marco, and Rossi. Other than the tang safety, the Rossi is built just like the Winchesters.

Here is an accuracy example from my Rossi M92 44Mag. I was shooting for the "Hollywood heart" like in the movie, A Fistful of Dollars. This is a 10-shot grouping at 50-yards using the Nikko Sterling Scout scope that used to ship with certain Rossi M92 Scout models.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nothing wrong with a Rossi. I have a 24" octagonal and a 16" trapper. Nice guns and solid. I bought the 24" used but like new for $400 and the trapper for $450 so 399.99 is a good price for new.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    ive got a rossi 92, its not as nice as a real Winchester but it works good and it shoots good, mine hates Remington 240 jhps though, its good to go with anything else so far.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    399 is a good price....i have a stainless 20" in 45C i gave 430 for it 4 years ago.....went through it and slicked the action up and put the trigger to 3.5#.....great deer rifle....

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    My brother in law works for a gun shop, 2 years ago when I wanted a lever .44 he said get the Rossi. They're good guns at a good price. If you wanted an older pre-safety I would buy a marlin or winchester, but new would be Rossi.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    An this is why the 1500 sometimes sucks to high heaven. I traveled 2 1/2 hours to the 1500 to look for a lever gun. I saw two or three different Rossi in .357 magnum, and all where priced at $475-$599. The vendors would not budge off their price. Now I see a LGS has the gun I want for $399 and he is 3 miles from my house. Darn 1500 vendors. Not all of them just the three I talked to about the Rossi.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, the Rossi has a silly safety on top but it is not really obtrusive and can be replaced but I don't find it a problem. Depending on the version, the bluing seems to be very good but the stocks can vary by the type of wood they use. The 24" I have has very pretty, tightly grained wood but the Trapper has really porous wood and not great looking but I am not really complaining.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I picked one up at the Indy east side Dick's a few week back. I filled out a charge card app. and got 10% off.

Just had it to the range one time, but it shot pretty good (open sights and old eyes) with 240 gr. jfp, as well as some 265 gr. cast loads that I had.

Rossi Rifleman ? Index page

This site has a lot of info.

Top Bottom