Roof Shingle Repairs from the Winds on Saturday.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Well, it looks like the winds that we had today took a bit of a toll on my roof. :noway: :xmad:. I lost about 4 or five shingles. Does anyone anyone have any recommendations for someone to do the repairs?? I figure that I am probably not going to be the only person in need of this info. tnx. :ingo: I'm just south of greenwood.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Yeah, I lost a few also, and I noticed a lot of tabs that will need to be cemented back down.

I plan to buy a bundle of shingles, as close to my color as I can get, and replace any lost or damaged ones, then go over the loose tabs and glue them back down with roofing cement.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I do roofing, siding, gutters and have for many years. We mainly do storm claims and work with insurance companies, but I do repairs and emergency mitigation. I am in Danville and try to stay within 45 minutes of home on small repairs. Kind of hard to go much farther than that for a repair without charging a bit more, especially if I have to make 2 trips, 1 to bid and see what materials are needed and another to do repair. There are a lot of people missing shingles right now....tomorrow gonna be a busy day.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I decided not to look at my roof just yet, Lost a piece of fascia though so I am concerned.

While the mini-blizzard was going on I got a text from a guy wanting me to put him on my list for repairs. He already called his insurance company about missing shingles... he was on it.

After I look at the damage there I will start checking my places out... I can't imagine that none of them are missing shingles or siding.

Oops... sorry for the threadjack... I am too far North to be of any help. Careful with the gypsys tho...

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're roof wasn't in bad shape to start, you should be able to replace the singles and seal them with roofing adhesive. I've replaced most of my ridge vent due to a lazy install and don't have any leaks.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That wind yesterday just might have sold me on a new metal roof instead of shingles.

I've read that you can install metal over shingles, but there's a lot of information to digest.

I'd like to do a standing seam, but I don't know if that's practical for a DIY'er.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    metal roof is the way to go, we're the last building on the farm to still have shingles, there are 2 houses and 2 barns converted to houses. our roof is 30+ yrs old and has 3 layers, i lost probably 100 tabs this winter, waiting on warmer weather and had knee surgery in January. i go back to work Monday 4-4-16, if it was just 4 or 5 id do it my self. as for metal were going to do it

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom