• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I think Ron must've read some of 88GTs posts...he wants to take back the language...or at least certain words.

Meaningless Words in Politics by Ron Paul

ron_paul-peace.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Even if I don't agree with some of his proposed policies, I can certainly agree with this article! It's long past time to take back the English Language - or at least the American version of it.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I very well might. But RPs abortion stand and his foreign policy made him a non-starter for me during the last Presidential Election cycle - or maybe the one before that.

I understand completely...I still think you'd enjoy it overall, even though it includes his detailed definitions of both.

Out of curiosity, what is it about his abortion stand that you don't like?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I very well might. But RPs abortion stand and his foreign policy made him a non-starter for me during the last Presidential Election cycle - or maybe the one before that.

Which of Romney's abortion stances suit you better than Ron Paul's "get the Feds out of it" stance?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Do you think that names like Rockwell and Rothbard are...sort of albatrosses around the neck of the liberty movement? Just a general question. I don't want to rehash history or play link-fu. I have simply lost a little respect for LRC as I acquire more knowledge.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Do you think that names like Rockwell and Rothbard are...sort of albatrosses around the neck of the liberty movement? Just a general question. I don't want to rehash history or play link-fu. I have simply lost a little respect for LRC as I acquire more knowledge.

Why not...Jefferson having owned slaves is still trotted out as some kind of argument against liberty.

If so, it would be a shame, especially in the case of Rothbard as he usually has a certain genius for effectively explaining the principles of liberty and Austrian economics.

Just to be clear, are you referring to their alleged involvement in the infamous newsletters, or something else?

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012

I assume you are referring to Lew Rockwell and Murray Rothbard. How are Rockwell and Rothbard albatrosses?

What 'knowledge' caused you to lose respect for LRC?

Please explain.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I understand completely...I still think you'd enjoy it overall, even though it includes his detailed definitions of both.

Out of curiosity, what is it about his abortion stand that you don't like?

While it may misstate his position, back in 2004, the "position paper" that his followers were handing out at the Irish Fest in Dublin Ohio, said he thought abortion "should be the mother's choice," which is a position I can't agree with. Not that I think the federal government should approve or disapprove of abortion, but that abortion is - by definition - the deliberate killing of a life separate from the mother; a life which hasn't had the opportunity to do anything worthy of a death sentence.

Anyone with any commitment to "truth" will concede that the vast majority of abortions are done for the convenience of the mother, not for her "health."

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks for posting, Lex. :)

The link, within the link, to Orwell's essay is interesting and helpful.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I thought a candidate's philosophy on civil rights were always a key consideration whether to support them or not:dunno:

I'm still wondering how an issue that the Supreme Court elevated to constitutional politics 40 years ago has any bearing on who you elect for President.

No matter what you or anyone thinks about abortion, the President does not have the power or the clout to amend the constitution.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Actions from our government requires approval of Congress. That has been ignored for decades.

Trot out the reference, please. The Commander In Chief has wide latitude (perhaps too wide at times) to use the military outside of a Congressional Declaration of War (which declaration has been in force since 2001 BTW). So trot out that reference so we can see what it actually says.

Top Bottom