• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    The idea isn't bad if you can get over the gasps from traditionalists. The polymer would likely experience fewer issues than the aluminum frames know stress fractures at high round counts. I guess I wonder how much weight it saves? The RRA is listed at about 32.6 oz. (granted that's a 5"), and most people wanting a lightweight 1911 go commander...roughly, what 38? If it was a Polymer Commander length...well it'd get more attention I think.

Wilson has been making them for years in double stacks, STI also. The tech is sound.

At around $800 it'd be worth the T&E if you like 1911's and don't mind polymer.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    Wow. Now I am curious! I have a polymer AR lower and must say, its pretty awesome. I would be interested to see one of these as well.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Unfortunately because a lot of people was so negative about it I don't think will ever see a production model, I just wonder why people don't freak out about the STI 2011 but they did with the RR:dunno:

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Unfortunately because a lot of people was so negative about it I don't think will ever see a production model, I just wonder why people don't freak out about the STI 2011 but they did with the RR:dunno:

The target audience is different. The STI is marketed for gun games, not carry. Competitive shooters aren't hung up on the same things that a "normal" 1911 fan is, or someone who intends to use it for self defense. Two completely different market segments.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    when you buy one, santa brings it to you on a unicorn, while eating fat free chips that taste good, and hand's it to you wrapped in a winning lottery ticket!

ok im kidding BUT the chances of that happening are better than rock river EVER making a poly 1911!

Rock River

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indy/Morgan county
    when you buy one, santa brings it to you on a unicorn, while eating fat free chips that taste good, and hand's it to you wrapped in a winning lottery ticket!

ok im kidding BUT the chances of that happening are better than rock river EVER making a poly 1911!

i gotta agree. I've been seeing that phantom gun on their website forever! I'm a fan of their rifles and would probably pick one of these up if they ever make good on the idea. We'll see if that ever really materializes.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i gotta agree. I've been seeing that phantom gun on their website forever! I'm a fan of their rifles and would probably pick one of these up if they ever make good on the idea. We'll see if that ever really materializes.

my dad had 3 rock river ar's and about once a month he talks about that poly frame 1911 they they are going to make, and every time he talks about it i jus roll my eyes and say yeah right!

three of the biggest lies ever told
    1 its only a coldsore
    2 yes i'll love you forever
    3 rock river arms is going to make a 1911!

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I had a Kimber poly several years ago, but it was a double stack 1911. Don't remember the model name, but I'm thinking the plastic frame was made by BUL?

It didn't have a traditional 1911 look, however.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm a 1911 fanboi, but I could easily get behind a 1911 compact poly lower. The biggest downside for the 1911 is weight. strip the weight, keep the ergo and great trigger and I'm in. Seriously... shut up and take my money!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    EAA had a poly framed 1911 out to play with at the NRA show. It was interesting, but I don't recall it being what I'd call light. I don't know if you would save much weight over an aluminum framed 1911.

nj4020

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    RRA also had their poly 1911's at the NRA convention. They claimed because of the lunacy in the AR market this past year, and the fact that the 1911 is made in house with all in house parts it was once again put on the back burner. It is projected to be available this fall. I for one can't wait.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    my dad had 3 rock river ar's and about once a month he talks about that poly frame 1911 they they are going to make, and every time he talks about it i jus roll my eyes and say yeah right!

three of the biggest lies ever told
    1 its only a coldsore
    2 yes i'll love you forever
    3 rock river arms is going to make a 1911!

Do you mean make one . . . again? You did know that RRA started as a boutique 1911 shop, don't you? I think they were an offshoot of Les Baer. That's all they did long before they ever made an AR. They didn't have polymer frames, though!!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    EAA had a poly framed 1911 out to play with at the NRA show. It was interesting, but I don't recall it being what I'd call light. I don't know if you would save much weight over an aluminum framed 1911.

I think the bigger "benefit" with the poly frame may be structural fatigue. I've not seen many frame failures with most poly handguns BUT they also are designed from the ground up to be poly.... it's definitely worth a try.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the bigger "benefit" with the poly frame may be structural fatigue. I've not seen many frame failures with most poly handguns BUT they also are designed from the ground up to be poly.... it's definitely worth a try.

That's a good point I had forgotten about. My aluminum framed 1911 sure is light, but I don't see it running past 50K rounds like a steel or poly gun would.

Top Bottom