• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Anyone else been seeing flocks of Robin’s?? Not just a stray robin or two but 50+ ? They were feeding on the berries on trees at work last week and a flock stopped by my house.. but nothing there but bird seed. When I can get raisins from work that are expired and put them out

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Seen a few this weekend (as in 2 or 3), but no numbers to speak of. I freshened up all the feeders last Wednesday and added a good bit of black oil sunflower seeds and fresh feed usually brings out quite the variety.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    These are not "our" robins. They are Canadian robins, and this is south to them. Unlike many think, they are not a sign of spring. They and bluebirds have been hanging around our local (NE Indiana) park all winter, as usual.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    These are not "our" robins. They are Canadian robins, and this is south to them. Unlike many think, they are not a sign of spring. They and bluebirds have been hanging around our local (NE Indiana) park all winter, as usual.
    I was hoping that they weren’t migrating in from the south.. lot of winter left. Didn’t think about the Canadian factor ehhh! Thanks for the information

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw a couple in one of our trees last weekend. Definitely the Canadian Robins, not the ones you see in the 812.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I saw a couple in one of our trees last weekend. Definitely the Canadian Robins, not the ones you see in the 812.
    You can tell by listening to them. They normally don't call or make much sound during the non-breeding season. But when they are in groups and accidentally bump each other, you can occasionally hear "sorry." And "tweet, eh"

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You can tell by listening to them. They normally don't call or make much sound during the non-breeding season. But when they are in groups and accidentally bump each other, you can occasionally hear "sorry." And "tweet, eh"
    So bob and Doug eh. Must of ehhh. Sent them here ehhh. Remember the movie? And the drinking game?? Thanks!

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Had a good sized group of Robins in the backyard this morning. Last week had couple of rather large Bluebirds, that one caused enough confusion here to look up their migration habits.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Unless the winter is particularly rough it's common to see them here all winter. There will be a short spell around November when there won't many as the local birds head south and the Canuckistanis move in. Easy to tell if they're visitors as they tend to run in large flocks, while the locals are more singles, pairs, or small groups.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have a large group of bluebirds and one robin at my feeders every day. I put out live mealworms. The robin is a pig but I let him eat his fill. He likes the heated water bowl, too. But most of the time he is just hanging out. The bluebirds love the worms. As well as three or four other types of songbirds. I have to keep shooting starlings to keep them away.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Hmm. Last winter I remember seeing robins every month of the winter, but I have not seen any yet here near Fort Wayne since fall. I did see some redwinged blackbirds this past weekend, which is the first newcomers I've seen.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Last year a robin made a nest in the wreath on the front of our garage. For weeks I watched her sit on her four eggs. Gradually she stopped sitting on them and would leave. One day she left and never came back. I tossed the eggs at the end of the season. I hope she comes back this year.

Robin cam 2020

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Haven’t seen the group of robins but have seen three hanging out with some cardinals at our feeder. These robins don’t seem to have the color of a normal robin. I don’t know if there is a difference or not between a Canadian robin and our normal ones from around here.

Rocketgirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    NE Indiana
    Interesting post resurrection as just yesterday friends on mine had a huge flock hang out and torpedoed their roof and walkways. I’ll let them know their guests were from Canada, eh! :)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have a large group of bluebirds and one robin at my feeders every day. I put out live mealworms. The robin is a pig but I let him eat his fill. He likes the heated water bowl, too. But most of the time he is just hanging out. The bluebirds love the worms. As well as three or four other types of songbirds. I have to keep shooting starlings to keep them away.
    We feed dried mealworms to the bluebirds here, and have had 8 at a time trying to squeeze into the feeder. In the morning we have to scare away the starlings, since they will eat everything if given the chance. Might be time for the pellet gun...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Haven’t seen the group of robins but have seen three hanging out with some cardinals at our feeder. These robins don’t seem to have the color of a normal robin. I don’t know if there is a difference or not between a Canadian robin and our normal ones from around here.

Might be Eastern Towhee. They look very similar to a robin but have some white on their belly and white specks on their wings.

Top Bottom