• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Just curious, in this instance, as we see it on the video, if you are familiar enough with firearms to know that it won't fire in it's current configuration; do you attempt to disarm hoping the bg doesn't realize his error soon enough to perforate you or do you sit on the toilet the rest of the day?

Personally I think I'd go for it, chances are pretty good that said bg doesn't know any more about firearms than his victim. He wasn't even holding it "gangsta" style!!:laugh:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Just curious, in this instance, as we see it on the video, if you are familiar enough with firearms to know that it won't fire in it's current configuration; do you attempt to disarm hoping the bg doesn't realize his error soon enough to perforate you or do you sit on the toilet the rest of the day?

Personally I think I'd go for it, chances are pretty good that said bg doesn't know any more about firearms than his victim. He wasn't even holding it "gangsta" style!!:laugh:

If I were in the situation and saw the condition of that firearm, that'd give me a prime opportunity to draw and take him out.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I would have pulled out a fixed blade and gutted him right there where he stood after seeing the gun in that condition. This way he could see his own guts spilling onto the floor.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I'd have to go for it, he's gonna try pulling the trigger and nothing is gonna happen, enough time to either draw and shoot or just beat him with his own gun..

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the problem with using deadly force in that situation is that, if you know anything about handguns, you wouldn't be in any fear. None.

But, depending on the situation, I'd be tempted to just call 911, or try to make a citizen's arrest of him and then call 911. After watching the vid, in that close proximity... I think I'd be forced to use reasonable, non-deadly, force to secure the idiot.

I sure wouldn't

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I think the problem with using deadly force in that situation is that, if you know anything about handguns, you wouldn't be in any fear. None.

But, depending on the situation, I'd be tempted to just call 911, or try to make a citizen's arrest of him and then call 911. After watching the vid, in that close proximity... I think I'd be forced to use reasonable, non-deadly, force to secure the idiot.

I sure wouldn't

What? Wrong.

A guy points a deadly weapon at me, I'm in fear, regardless of how much I know about guns. One twitch of the thumb on the slide release and one twitch of the finger and I'm dead.

If someone points a gun at you and orders you to do something, they are making a threat to kill you. It's not a requirement that you analyze the situation any more than that.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon

I sure wouldn't

I'm no lawyer but I think the need for using deadly force could be proven and justifiable. Who's looking at the slide when a muzzle is in your face?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I wouldn't have shot tge guy, but i certainly would have shoved his face in a vat of hot donut grease. Yeah pal, I'll drink this jug of soap, as soon as your done with your 400 degree facial.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

I sure wouldn't

Repeat several times to the police: Officer I was in fear for my life. Here is my DL and LTCH. I wish to speak to my lawyer.

This advice given to me by a friend (30 years of service with IPD)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I sure wouldn't

What? Surely, you must be joking.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope T. Lex is never actually a Prosecutor. Prosecute someone for using deadly force during an armed robbery...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If I were in the situation and saw the condition of that firearm, that'd give me a prime opportunity to draw and take him out.
    This ^^^

By the time he realizes that you're drawing, and his brain processes the info and he tries to shoot... gun doesn't fire and his brain reprocesses what just happened and takes the correct actions, he will already be perforated by your shots.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, 2 different issues.

1 - When BG first makes himself known and it is just a vague metallic lump in his hoodie that he says is a gun, well then, I feel obliged to take him at his word. If an opportunity arises that I respond with deadly force, then so be it. No problem IMHO.

2 - No immediate opportunity to respond with deadly force, so go the placative route, "Sure - let me get this register open for you right quick!" When he takes out the firearm with the slide locked back, well... I'm not in nearly as much fear then. It is basically just an expensive paper weight. So, to me, that doesn't require deadly force. Now, if he pushes the magic button and the slide pushes a round into the chamber.... back to scenario 1.

Generally, though, I guess my test is more along the lines of, "What would me grandfather think of me if I did this?" He'd certainly agree this guy was an idiot, and the gene pool was probably better off without him in it. But - would he deserve to die for his actions? I don't think so.

But maybe we have this guy all wrong? Maybe he is really the most safety-conscious BG in the history of armed robbery. I mean, once he realized the clerk was going to just go along with him, he wanted to make sure there wasn't a negligent discharge.... Range safety FTW.

Top Bottom