• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Robar Premium Finishing & Firearms Home Page

I have a beretta px4 9mm and am looking to do something like this. Any advice would be appreciated. and comments are welcomed.

I also like the roguard grips.
    cid:image001.jpg@01C9FB11.FB08E610

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Robar has received very favorable reviews. I've seen Shooter521's Robar'd Glock 23 and the NP3 finish is excellent.

For a less expensive and local alternative, check out Cory Nash of Nash Gunwerx. He's an INGO Advertising Sponsor and does excellent work with a crazy quick turnaround time.

Nash Gunwerx - INGunOwners

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've had 3 different guns done in NP3 and will recommend it to anyone as a superior finish to anything other than an all Stainless Steel gun.

:+1:

And in some ways, I even prefer the NP3 to stainless.
    npsp_angle.jpg

two_23s.jpg

The Roguard finish, OTOH, did not impress me.

From the Robar homepage:
    Kahr1.jpg

That's a sick looking Kahr, but is the front sight mounted backwards? :n00b:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    NP3 is really great, but is silvery looking... if you want a low profile finish you might consider the Roborguard..

I would recomend having the internal parts of any gun done with the NP3 .. it makes them slicker & protects from wear..

I had the upper 1/2 of my P239 done with np3 .. and I cn clean it after a match with just dry patches..

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Wow guys this is great feedback I am going to start doing my research on exactly what I want to do. Does anyone know how long this process takes. I am a mechanical engineer and know a little about surface finishing and hardness, but know also it depends on the mfg, and processing time. I was also told that you have to go through a class III to pull something like this off(as in sending it to Roguard)??? Let me know Thank a million!!! And Happy Independence day!

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I was also told that you have to go through a class III to pull something like this off???

Incorrect. ClassIII refers only to items regulated by the NFA, like SBRs, suppressors, etc.

Do you mean FFL (Federal Firearms License)?? I don't believe you even have to go through an FFL to ship your gun either.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't believe you even have to go through an FFL to ship your gun either.

Right. You can ship your gun to a manufacturer or gunsmith to be worked on, and they can ship it directly back to you.

For those wanting to know more about the NP3 finish process:
    Robar NP3 Firearms Finish

Not sure what their lead time is running right now; when I had mine done several years ago, it only took a few weeks.

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Incorrect. ClassIII refers only to items regulated by the NFA, like SBRs, suppressors, etc.

Do you mean FFL (Federal Firearms License)?? I don't believe you even have to go through an FFL to ship your gun either.

Yes, that is what I meant thank you for the correction!

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    The NP3 is a nickel teflon type protective finish. Most companies that do it have some sort of proprietary process like Robar. We use it on some of the smaller pins and detents that we make. It is very durable and requires no lube. But not a cheap process when compared to others.

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Guys, I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but I just contacted them with a list of questions. Basically to do a complete refinish of the Px4 Storm I wanted done is $170.00 and the lead time is 6-8 weeks, they are offering a 20% discount at the moment though. I can not decide what I would like to do and they said they could not refinish a Walther p22? Wonder why?

Here is what they said.
    "Some answers for your questions. NP3 provides much greater abrasion protection and more lubricity than Roguard. Roguard, in some cases, will provide great corrosion resistance than NP3. In general NP3 I prefer NP3 for handguns, although it really is a toss up for the most part. I should mention that for a variety of reasons we cannot refinish the Walther P22. Turnaround is 6 to 8 weeks for metal finishing. Cost for complete refinish on a steel frame handgun is $285.00. Add $40.00 to strip the frame on an alloy frame handgun. For a polymer frame handgun it is $170.00. These prices apply to NP3 or Roguard (or a combination of the two). Let me know if you have additional questions."

Any suggestions would be appreciated

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Basically to do a complete refinish of the Px4 Storm I wanted done is $170.00 and the lead time is 6-8 weeks, they are offering a 20% discount at the moment though.

They wanted $140 for the same package (the "Norton Special") when I had my Glock done a few years ago. They run the internet discount a couple times a year; it's worth waiting for.

they said they could not refinish a Walther p22? Wonder why?

My guess would be the quality (or lack thereof) of the metal used does not take well to the stripping/refinishing process.

My advice - do the NP3, skip the Roguard. But then, I'm a sucker for two-tone pistols...

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Are you happy with it? Would you do it again? and did it really take 6-8 weeks? Sorry for the million question routine, I just have reservations with sending one of my pcs. away for 2 months Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Are you happy with it?

Yes. I've had it done on 3 guns (Roguard & NP3 on a 2nd Gen G23, and all NP3 on a 3rd Gen G23 and G22C). The quality of the NP3 finish on the latter two guns may have even been a bit better than the first one. I was not impressed with the Roguard finish at all, which is why I opted for all NP3 on the other two.

Glock 23 (Robar Custom) Review

Would you do it again?

Yes, in a heartbeat.

did it really take 6-8 weeks?

Something like that; maybe a bit less back then.

HTH!

Rafterman

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Had the NP3 finish applied to the slide of a Sig 228 and
    a Glock 17. Loved the way they looked and it wears like iron. Very pleased with it.

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    CCR-REFINISHING

Has anyone done cera-plate, I was going to send my px4 off today to expedite the process, and I keep finding new stuff. I really don't know what to do. I have not had or shot anything with either one of the treatments. So I am pretty much throwin darts in the dark here. thus all the questions

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Has anyone done cera-plate,

From the website, it doesn't appear that CERA-PLATE is available yet?

I was going to send my px4 off today to expedite the process, and I keep finding new stuff. I really don't know what to do.

My :twocents: - quit overthinking it and holding out for the "absolute best," or nothing will ever get done. NP3 is a proven process that's been around for years, and Robar is a good company with many, MANY satisfied customers (some of whom have posted here). IMO, these two things are worth much more than the slight improvement in durability/performance you might get from one of the newer/fancier/designer processes.

Top Bottom