• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Ive had a lot of fun with a MechTech upper in 10mm. It crushes pistol plates and dueling trees at distances which I’m less accurate with a pistol

I have the Mech Tech carbine in 10mm also and it is deadly accurate with jacketed bullets but not so much with my home cast lead bullets. Now my home cast bullets work very well in my handguns but the extra length of the barrel in the carbine apparently rasies the velocity to the point where it must be stripping the lead bullets. I need to recover one of the lead bullets undamaged to verify that, that is what is happening. I put a red dot sight on it and it is a quick and accurate little carbine.

On another note, did you know that .45 auto magazines work just as well with 10mm ammo, at least mine do.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I got my first 10mm yesterday and at the same time crossed over to the dark side. I picked up a G20. I went on record saying I would never go Glock....never say never and always stay away from always.
    Update.... G20 is history-not my cup of tea. I bought a Dan Wesson Bruin. Very sweet weapon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the Mech Tech carbine in 10mm also and it is deadly accurate with jacketed bullets but not so much with my home cast lead bullets. Now my home cast bullets work very well in my handguns but the extra length of the barrel in the carbine apparently rasies the velocity to the point where it must be stripping the lead bullets. I need to recover one of the lead bullets undamaged to verify that, that is what is happening. I put a red dot sight on it and it is a quick and accurate little carbine.

On another note, did you know that .45 auto magazines work just as well with 10mm ammo, at least mine do.

Not all the 45 magazines will reliably feed 10mm. Most will but the less expensive low end mags are hit and miss with my experiences.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Update.... G20 is history-not my cup of tea. I bought a Dan Wesson Bruin. Very sweet weapon.

I have a G20 its reliable, accurate, ugly, and feels like a 2x4 in my hand. I have 2xl hands and it feels big. It points wrong you have to shoot it totally different than any other handgun. I was about to get rid of it until I found out about the CAA MCK. It's in one of them and makes an excellent home defense platform, I also topped it with a T dot red dot scope. I have taken deer with it. Not this year I was sick the who season for firearms. If it wasn't in the NCK it would have been sold. I kind of like it in its MCK configuration.
    That said I'm hot after a Springfield Ronin 10mm.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I've had a G40 10mm for some years.
    It's a reasonably priced, utilitarian, reliable, 15 round capacity, hard hitting pistol.
    The 6.02" barrel with high performance ammunition certainly adds velocity over the G20 10mm.

YES, there are more expensive, finer made, precisely accurate, top quality, beautiful 10MM pistols available.
    But the G40 sufficiently fills the need for what I need it for.
    As a woods gun with 15 rounds of 200 grain hard cast it will do the job.
    If it gets scratched, dirty. or gets holster wear, it's no biggie.

My G40 is currently the only 10mm I own. I love it. I want a G29 Gen4 for a backup to it. If I get one, I can see that becoming my EDC as I carried a G30 .45 and it fit me fine.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I know that there are still folks that are angry with Springfield Armory, but I love their guns and the customer experience they give (versus near zero with other manufacturers). In addition to my AR-10 pistol, I have the XDm 10mm 5.25” and it’s been great. Several of my friends are keeping an eye out for them after shooting mine. It’s still a polymer framed pistol, but it’s over 2 lbs and comes as close as you can get to a steel frame experience without going that route. Definitely keeping an eye on that Ronin as well, now that DadSmith made me aware of that one!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have been considering a Glock 20, I don't live in bear country but maybe one day. Also it seems to be a pretty good survival cartridge all around.

What got me interested in the 10mm was by accident I landed on that page in my reloading book. I seen a 155gr bullet being pushed at over 1400 fps. My 1st thought was 357 magnum power in a semiautomatic. Then I had to get one. Ended up with a glock because EAA witness was sold out but they had a Glock 20sf on sale 15rd mags. I was thinking 15+1 357 magnum power now thats a gun. It actually outshines the 357 magnum with 180+ gr bullets. It's a good cartridge if your not buying the nerfed down 40 S&W type 10mm. Most out there commercially made is watered-down. Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and I think Sig is making a decent rd for 10mm now. I reload so it's always full 10mm rds.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What got me interested in the 10mm was by accident I landed on that page in my reloading book. I seen a 155gr bullet being pushed at over 1400 fps. My 1st thought was 357 magnum power in a semiautomatic. Then I had to get one. Ended up with a glock because EAA witness was sold out but they had a Glock 20sf on sale 15rd mags. I was thinking 15+1 357 magnum power now thats a gun. It actually outshines the 357 magnum with 180+ gr bullets. It's a good cartridge if your not buying the nerfed down 40 S&W type 10mm. Most out there commercially made is watered-down. Underwood, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and I think Sig is making a decent rd for 10mm now. I reload so it's always full 10mm rds.

The others are fine, but Double Tap has a long history of shady practices, which continues today.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5281-caution-if-you-have-10mm-double-tap.html

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis

Agreed! I don't reload, but I won't buy 180 grain that is rated any less than 1200 fps. To me, dumbing down the speed defeats the purpose of 10mm anyway.

I love Underwood, but it's expensive. I also like how they go up and down the spectrum of 10mm loads... I've seen anything from 100 grain to 220 grain from Underwood. My favorite is their 155 grain that does 1500 fps! I've not measured it myself, but I'm sure that it's even better out of my 8" Banshee barrel.

As far as budget-friendly performance goes, I've had great results from Sellier & Bellot, Magtech and Defender, which all have 180 grain rounds spec'd at 1250 fps. I've recently picked up S&B for less than 40 cents a round, including tax and shipping. I think CCI Blazer is 1200 fps and I've had no issues with that brand either. As for Sig, I've not tried it, but have heard that some semi-autos have trouble with misfeeds with those (I think they're just a hair shorter than other brands). I'm sure it just depends on the gun though.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What do folks think of the 10 mm Springfield XDm series? I shot one of the XDm in .45 acp and loved it. Beretta doesn't make one. I would like to have more than 8-10 rounds. Other than the XDm and the uh Glock, I didn't see any others that fit that bill.

It wouldnt be a safe queen but it wouldn't be getting shot every day either. Probably 100 rds a month. I see several talking about frames holding up to the 10 mm rd and so durability became a concern more than economics.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    What do folks think of the 10 mm Springfield XDm series? I shot one of the XDm in .45 acp and loved it. Beretta doesn't make one. I would like to have more than 8-10 rounds. Other than the XDm and the uh Glock, I didn't see any others that fit that bill.

It wouldnt be a safe queen but it wouldn't be getting shot every day either. Probably 100 rds a month. I see several talking about frames holding up to the 10 mm rd and so durability became a concern more than economics.

I love it... it's the handgun I shoot best. Even though it's a monster (I have the 5.25" barrel version), if I have a big winter coat on, I actually carry it OWB instead of carrying a 9mm IWB. Short of carrying an AR pistol (haha), 15+1 rounds of 10mm seems like a good option!

I don't have any durability concerns so far, it seems very solid. Although it's a polymer frame, it weighs only 7 oz less than the steel framed Ronin! Granted, I probably only have 500 rounds or so through it at this point, but I'm not concerned and SA has a lifetime warranty.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My G40 is currently the only 10mm I own. I love it. I want a G29 Gen4 for a backup to it. If I get one, I can see that becoming my EDC as I carried a G30 .45 and it fit me fine.

For me, the Glock 40 is a bit big for everyday carry, but does work for a woods pistol in a holster.

I did for some time carry a Glock 29 as my main everyday carry pistol with Underwood 10mm ammo.
    It worked fine for me.

The big plus I find with Glocks in general is they're not high priced, are dependable, utilitarian, and if God forbid I ever have to use it for self defense, it won't be as big a "bite" when the police swipe it and it could be years or never that I ever see it again.
    Having $1-2k or more in a fine top quality everyday carry pistol is just too rich for my blood when I think of how royally screwed over I'll be if I ever have to lawfully use it for self defense and it gets swiped by the police.

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem

I have an EAA Elite Match in 10mm, holds 15 rounds. Its very accurate.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    That was what I was going to buy. I went home to get the cash and came back it was gone. So I bought the G20sf it was on sale anyway. Still wish I had gotten the Elite Match.

Sometimes wisdom has a cost! I respect the going home for cash, since it’s so dangerous to walk into a gun store with a credit card. I bought my first Banshee because I had a credit card on me when going to pick up an FFL transfer! :):

Top Bottom