• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Why steer clear of a 1911? When set up properly they will last as long as anything else. I have a custom 2011 build and a Ruger SR1911 5” that both love full power 10mm loads. The Ruger is a good buy for the money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question to all you 10mm aficionados, I would LOVE to buy a 10mm HG as quite some time ago I was gifted about 350-400 pieces of new never fired 10mm WIN brass and a set of 10MM RCBS dies and I have more applicable powder and primers than I will likely use in the next 30 years so all I have left is to buy some 10mm bullets and I can be banging away.

So what is my best HG choice for the money? It will be for my in the woods hunting, hiking or fishing sidearm and all around fun range gun. Based on advice here will steer clear of the 1911 platform. No way no how can I afford let alone justify a CZ and I am uncertain about EAA HG's ability to handle the 10mm long term. So besides Glocks G20 anything that would be a better choice? I would absolutely upgrade the G20's recoil spring and guide rod and likely add a 6" AM barrel as well. The internet is littered with new and great condition used G20's at very attractive prices.
    Does the XD platform hold up to the 10mm as well as the G20?

Thanks Art.

Not sure whos advice told you to steer clear of the 1911. I have several in 10mm. Stellar pieces.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Not sure whos advice told you to steer clear of the 1911. I have several in 10mm. Stellar pieces.

Two persons who contributed to this thread, and I also would much prefer 15 vs 8 or 16 vs 9 rounds.
    Admittedly I should know better than to base a decision on limited info.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I also have to give positive feedback on the 1911 platform in 10mm. I’ve owned a few Delta Elites and currently own a Delta Gold Cup and all have been flawless. I had a 10mm Commander a while back and it was ok. I also own an EEA Witness Compact and full size in 10mm and they have been great. My 610 S&W is a dream to shoot plus I have the option of shooting 40S&W with moon clips. My G20 has had a fair amount of work done to it and it is an excellent EDC if the right holster is used. Haven’t shot my G40 with red dot yet but hopefully soon.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.k. time for a thread jack of sorts.
    I have an EAA Witness long slide in .45acp. I believe it's a 5" barrel.
    Can I get a 10mm conversion kit for it?
    Where, and how much?

Don't know much about the gun, other than it says Witness on the slide and has the "Wonder" finish.

Thanks

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Why steer clear of a 1911? When set up properly they will last as long as anything else. I have a custom 2011 build and a Ruger SR1911 5” that both love full power 10mm loads. The Ruger is a good buy for the money.

How much does the Ruger weigh in at? Was reading an article about the Sig Legion in 10 MM and I think it was like 5 and a half pounds.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Once the Covid 19 issue is figured out (vaccine or similar) I will probably pick up one of the 10mm carbines just to play with! Then pick up the dies etc. and buy some bullets and brass. I'm sure son and I have enough powder and primers in stock. It will be a new caliber for us. We reload over 35 different ones now so won't be a big thing!

Can't take any chances on the Covid issue as my wife is 77 and has serious respiratory problems (on oxygen 24/7). I am 79, not too worried about myself but being extremely careful due to her condition.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Two persons who contributed to this thread, and I also would much prefer 15 vs 8 or 16 vs 9 rounds.
    Admittedly I should know better than to base a decision on limited info.

I will not even begin to get into the round count wars. If it matters that much to you then its your decision.

Thing is, if you hit what you are shooting at then, well, you already know.
    Seems folks want to spray not aim. Not a direct knock on you sir as I do not know you. Most likely not the case.

The G**** offering in 10mm gets solid reviews. I just
    cant stomach the feel of any striker fired gun (even a CZ P-10)after a lifetime of running positive feedback hammer fired guns. It is all in what you prefer.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have had ,used and carried the 10mm from 80's (now carry a .32 ACP). Had a Bren Ten, wish I still had it, Glock 20, gone as could not shoot it good, S&W 1006, still have and like, Colt Delta 10mm, gone but shoot great, just didn't want the frame to break like some were doing, EAA Witness with a target slide fitted, still have, out shot everything to this time, then I got a STI 2011 Perfect 10 with 6" barrel, it will cloverleaf rounds at 25 yards slow fire, still have it and carried it for some time. If I could stand to still double tap with it, I would be carrying it or one of my Colt Rail Guns worked on by Allen. Getting old the body said enough with recoil.

I would buy another 10mm 1911 in a heart beat if they didn't hurt the old hands so much. The Glock just didn't work for me though a good gun. Would like to try the Sig SAO as sounds like a good 10mm platform and the weight is fine as I have carried a 1911 for 65 years. Don't worry about the number of rounds carried as more than 3-4 rounds down range you are in a fire fight and better have backup or a rifle, M1,AR14,AR15,AK47, and etc, also better be moving to disengage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had ,used and carried the 10mm from 80's (now carry a .32 ACP). Had a Bren Ten, wish I still had it, Glock 20, gone as could not shoot it good, S&W 1006, still have and like, Colt Delta 10mm, gone but shoot great, just didn't want the frame to break like some were doing, EAA Witness with a target slide fitted, still have, out shot everything to this time, then I got a STI 2011 Perfect 10 with 6" barrel, it will cloverleaf rounds at 25 yards slow fire, still have it and carried it for some time. If I could stand to still double tap with it, I would be carrying it or one of my Colt Rail Guns worked on by Allen. Getting old the body said enough with recoil.

I would buy another 10mm 1911 in a heart beat if they didn't hurt the old hands so much. The Glock just didn't work for me though a good gun. Would like to try the Sig SAO as sounds like a good 10mm platform and the weight is fine as I have carried a 1911 for 65 years. Don't worry about the number of rounds carried as more than 3-4 rounds down range you are in a fire fight and better have backup or a rifle, M1,AR14,AR15,AK47, and etc, also better be moving to disengage.

58 years here. Besides the CZ offerings we have in the safe I have not found anything the works as good as that platform at least for me.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you can find one a S&W 610 with a 5” barrel is almost perfect. You can also shot 40 out of it if you so desire.

shotgun131313

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Clark county
    I work at a gun store in southern Indiana and we have definitely seeing a resurgence in the 10mm we have so many glock,Kimber, Ruger, Springfield, rock island armory, sigsauer P220
    And many others. The caliber is finally coming into its own I like it

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    10 mm or 357 magnum. Many like myself like having the power of a 357 magnum with higher capacity.

id like to see the p320 in 10mm, but I just don’t think it will come. Guess I’ll have to settle for the 357sig exchange kit (yes I know 10mm would need the 45acp FCU frame anyhow)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    HiPoint makes one........

I know Hi Point pistols get a lot of well deserved grief but I’ve heard the Carbines are not that bad. I’ve handled a few but just can’t warm up to them. I’m wanting more of an AR Platform that uses Glock or Witness magazines. The CMMG seems ok, but at half what they’re asking.

Top Bottom