• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One of my grade school classmates used to live next door to him when we were kids. I remember when he used to come out of his house at the time on his way to practice or wherever and we waved at him, and he waved back. We thought that was the coolest thing.

My classmate got all kinds of cool memorabilia from D.B. RIP

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    He wrote an autobiography around 20 years ago and I have a personalized signed copy. Was a great read for anyone who grew up on the south side of Chicago. I know a lot of different people who knew him or members of his family from Roseland from the 1940's to the present, never heard a bad word about them. A family that lived across the alley from them growing up said he was the smallest of the brothers. My uncle had season tickets when they played in Wrigley Field and had hours of great stories about how Butkus played the game and his temper. One of my uncles favorite stories was a game was ending and the bears had lost badly and rather than run the clock out Butkus kept calling time outs so there were more plays and he was able to take some more shots at the Center from the opposing team that Butkus loathed. RIP

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just heard Dick Butkus died, such an icon in football, such a legend, I am deeply saddened, even as a Cheesehead. He WAS the Bears...Da Bears! He, and Bubba Smith's commercials were the stuff of advertising legend too...They don't make them like that....Dick, it was fun watching you!!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear this.
    Back in the days when he played for the Bears, they had their summer training camp in Rensselaer, Indiana at St Joseph College.
    We used to see Butkus as well as the other guys on the team around town.
    I also worked in the Halleck Center dish room at St Joe as a kid and saw the guys on the team up close.
    I worked there up until a few months before they filmed "Brain's Song" on location there.

Reactions: KG1

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Was Sad to hear of Dick Butkus' passing.
    Enjoyed seeing him Exemplify what a Linebacker was, even though I grew up a Colts Fan (Before they left Baltimore & when the NFL was worth watching).
    RIP #51 & Thank You!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Turned on the Bears halftime to see what halftime would have about Butkus. Labron James had more airtime than Butkus being mentioned for about 4 seconds. F the NFL.
    It's pretty hard to do a good tribute finding out not long before the game and in Washington. There was a moment of silence before the game. Expect to see something more extensive next time Chicago plays at home.

Great player, not a bad comedic actor. #51 started the Bears tradition of top tier linebackers...which I hope to see revived some day.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It's pretty hard to do a good tribute finding out not long before the game and in Washington. There was a moment of silence before the game. Expect to see something more extensive next time Chicago plays at home.

Great player, not a bad comedic actor. #51 started the Bears tradition of top tier linebackers...which I hope to see revived some day.
    going back to Bronko Nagurski the bears had a long lineage of outstanding and feared linebackers

Top Bottom