• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've never really dealt with rimfire shotshells before now.
    After a recent garden gun purchase, and purchasing some shotshells I noticed something on the ammunition packaging.
    The anti-litigation jargon on the front of the box reads,
    "Warning: Range 250 yards/230 meters".
    I know a standard .22Lr projectile will travel up to 1-1/2 miles, but I find it hard to believe that the #12 shot pellets are going to travel 250 yards.

I haven't had the chance to try it from much more than about 20-25 feet. I'm surprised at how tight the pattern is at that distance, and I'm kind of optimistic about getting a little more than 25' effective range out of it.

I'm curious if anyone here has any extensive experience with rimfire shotshells.
    I know they wouldn't be effective at that range, but do you think those pellets would really go 250 yards?

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    The shot in the rimfire shotshells is close to being dust....I seem to remember that it is smaller than #9.
    I can't imagine it could go 200 plus yards.
    If you follow up on real life testing, I'd be Interested in the results

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The shot in the rimfire shotshells is close to being dust....I seem to remember that it is smaller than #9.
    I can't imagine it could go 200 plus yards.
    If you follow up on real life testing, I'd be Interested in the results
    Oh I plan to follow up, believe me.
    I laid in a decent stock of rimfire shotshells.
    The packages say the shot is #12 size. It almost looks like large grains of sand.
    I shot some into a cardboard box filled with more cardboard boxes so I could retrieve some of the pellets.
    When I first opened the box I didn't even see them. They were smaller than I'd expected.

I drew a 3" circle on the box and shot it from around 10-12 feet.
    I ended up with only 4 pellets outside of the 3" bullseye and they were barely outside of the ring.
    Not only that, but the under shot card embedded itself into the cardboard box dead center in the bullseye.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've never really dealt with rimfire shotshells before now.
    After a recent garden gun purchase, and purchasing some shotshells I noticed something on the ammunition packaging.
    The anti-litigation jargon on the front of the box reads,
    "Warning: Range 250 yards/230 meters".
    I know a standard .22Lr projectile will travel up to 1-1/2 miles, but I find it hard to believe that the #12 shot pellets are going to travel 250 yards.

I haven't had the chance to try it from much more than about 20-25 feet. I'm surprised at how tight the pattern is at that distance, and I'm kind of optimistic about getting a little more than 25' effective range out of it.

I'm curious if anyone here has any extensive experience with rimfire shotshells.
    I know they wouldn't be effective at that range, but do you think those pellets would really go 250 yards?
    I seen a video of a 40gr 22lr bullet penetrating 1/2" pine board at 500yds. They are a little more powerful than I originally thought.

22lr shotshells
    It would take a lot for them to be dangerous at 250yds. I'm thinking a miracle. You definitely wouldn't hit your target at that range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I seen a video of a 40gr 22lr bullet penetrating 1/2" pine board at 500yds. They are a little more powerful than I originally thought.

22lr shotshells
    It would take a lot for them to be dangerous at 250yds. I'm thinking a miracle. You definitely wouldn't hit your target at that range.
    Since my target(s) for this are likely to be a mouse, or chipmunks, maybe a pigeon...I probably won't SEE it at 250 yards!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just pulled out a magnifying glass to see the "fine print" on the ammunition package.
    These are CCI .22Lr shotshells
    31gr (#12 shot - approximately 165 pellets) with a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps.

That should tell you how small the shot is.
    There are approximately 165 pellets in a .22Lr case!

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    we shoot the federal shot shell at 16 ft indoors at the milltown american legion, the targets are hung on plywood with carpet, they do not penetrate the plywood. the pattern is about 6 inches, I have shot a bunch of rats with it, surprised it still kills at 25 to 30 ft out of a high standard 9 shot rev

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I just priced them up!!!!

They are the same price as .410 shotgun rounds!!!!!

Thought they would be fun for the next cicada season but DAMN.....may just have to break out the Lee Load All and a bag of Kosher salt...LOL

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I’m curious if they would be a smart idea in a NAA for snake country in addition to a G29.
    No, not enough penetration. .38 special shot shells with #8 shot or the custom .45 ACP shotshells I make from .308 rifle brass that have a 1/2 inch .410 wad. I have shot clay pigeons with those.

Top Bottom