Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The Riley Conservation Club near Terre Haute is looking for new members for 2009. Cost is $70 for the entire year. We currently have three pistol bays, and a 240 yard rifle range, with a covered firing line. If you join by the end of January for an additional $30 you get the chance at winning a rifle. We are thinking the rifle will be a Remington 700 or something along those lines, and the drawing for this is for members only. We are also doing a drawing for a Ruger 10/22 that is open to anyone. ticket for the 10/22 are 6 for $5. Check us out at the link below.

There are two lakes, 270 acres of woods for hunting deer, turkey and mushrooms.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Coach, we had the "mushroom" conversation last Sunday.

It just makes me giggle when you mention mushrooms.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Guys, this range is superb! It is wider and longer than most. I have never met a problem person at the range.

Really, go and see it. There are a ton of great events that they host, so go, see, shoot, have a ball. And join.

Why join? Because ranges, good ones, rifle sized outdoor ones, are a dying breed in much of the US. We need each and every one to be as active and robust as possible. Remember, a range can be just a strip of land with berms. Or it can be the hub of training, sportsmanship, conservation, competition, and RKBA political activity.

And RCC is definitely one of those ranges!

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Wish I could join (and acutally make use of the range), RCC has some great people there. Down here, not so lucky. There are three ranges I could use down here. One's an indoor range, pistol only but a nice facility to stand and shoot (no working from holsters, etc.). Another range is open to the public from 0900-1200 or 0900-1300 (occasionally to 1700) for $10/day or $100/year. The final is a members only range that runs $274 for the first year's membership and around $200/year after that. If nothing else, I miss IN for ProTEQ and RCC. :bash:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    RileyCC is a great place and a great club, but we do need more active members! Think about joining! For you people in Indianapolis, we do have several members from your area and it's only about an hour away on I-70 from I-465. I live farther away than you do and I am a member!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wish I could join (and acutally make use of the range), RCC has some great people there. Down here, not so lucky. There are three ranges I could use down here. One's an indoor range, pistol only but a nice facility to stand and shoot (no working from holsters, etc.). Another range is open to the public from 0900-1200 or 0900-1300 (occasionally to 1700) for $10/day or $100/year. The final is a members only range that runs $274 for the first year's membership and around $200/year after that. If nothing else, I miss IN for ProTEQ and RCC. :bash:

I don't really understand ranges with rules against frawing from a holster or shooting no more than X amount of shots per second. I am sure it is logical in their mind. No such restrictions at RCC.

Sounds like you need to find a job back up this way!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't really understand ranges with rules against frawing from a holster or shooting no more than X amount of shots per second.

Agreed! I have been to those ranges, and while I was unable to draw from my holster, what I really needed was the rule "no pointing gun at everyone else on the line while trying to clear a doublefeed" or "no pointing gun at everyone else on the line while trying to clear a doublefeed while having a finger on the trigger".

I.E. Stupid is dangerous, not practicing with a holster.

Personally, I have more use for a range where I can practice the practical aspects of defensive shooting. Drawing from a holster, drawing from concealment, shooting rapid short groups, etc. That is EXACTLY why I am a member at RCC. I have never gotten that FUDD look from the "shooter" who is firing one round every 5 minutes from his scoped rifle that is bolted down in a vise to the bench. I hate that look of "that's not shooting!" when I am thinking the same thing right back!

[/rant]

RCC rocks and is a growing rarity. Everyone should be a member, even if it is a second range for you (it is a second for me due to distance) as it is worth it to be able to make noise and flame in peace.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Agreed! I have been to those ranges, and while I was unable to draw from my holster, what I really needed was the rule "no pointing gun at everyone else on the line while trying to clear a doublefeed" or "no pointing gun at everyone else on the line while trying to clear a doublefeed while having a finger on the trigger".

Personally, I have more use for a range where I can practice the practical aspects of defensive shooting. Drawing from a holster, drawing from concealment, shooting rapid short groups, etc. That is EXACTLY why I am a member at RCC. I have never gotten that FUDD look from the "shooter" who is firing one round every 5 minutes from his scoped rifle that is bolted down in a vise to the bench. I hate that look of "that's not shooting!" when I am thinking the same thing right back!

[/rant]

RCC rocks and is a growing rarity. Everyone should be a member, even if it is a second range for you (it is a second for me due to distance) as it is worth it to be able to make noise and flame in peace.

I understand what you mean about the unsafe gunhandling. We appreciate your kind words here and your membership.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im really going to have to consider this since I live 15 minutes away, especially after all the good feedback people have!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And let's not forget the "entertainment value" of the monthly club meetings! You'll get to meet people you didn't realize existed and interact with them!

The more active members we have, perhaps we'll be able to add more organized events to the calendar, either as part of RileyCC or under the umbrella of WVPPS. Shooting sports are really fun and a great way to practice, but they are volunteer-driven.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

[/rant]

Unfortunately, that is exactly why I quit renewing my membership there. The Fudds took over, and the people that lived in the trailer out front were the worst! Hopefully, Rhino and the rest have changed the hierarchy and it's different now, but 7-8 years ago, it was all Fudd except for WVPPS Sundays.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Unfortunately, that is exactly why I quit renewing my membership there. The Fudds took over, and the people that lived in the trailer out front were the worst! Hopefully, Rhino and the rest have changed the hierarchy and it's different now, but 7-8 years ago, it was all Fudd except for WVPPS Sundays.

Then you need to go back ASAP, you will like what you find. ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Things are different, and we hope to continue to improve. Come out in December and see for yourself and join if you like what you see.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Well, for one thing, there is no one living in a trailer on the grounds, so clearly some things have changed!

Check out the web site: Riley Conservation Club

And if you were coming to the matches hosted by WVPPS back then, you probably know me!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    things are quite different. some of those folks are still around, but the new generation has come to the front. good people, good facility, good times.

Top Bottom