• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    How in the world is this accomplished? I was blessed with Right/Right/Right dominance. I have a friend who isn't and is having a heck of a time getting consistent shots. So, how do you shoot right handed while left eye dominant?

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited:

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am the exact opposite, for handguns I find this gives me quite the tactical stance lol. It works fine, but I find I turn my head a little and tuck my chin some to make it work best. Works for me, and luckily I just shoot rifles right handed so no issues there. I'm glad I learned this way, as I can see no way to do this well on a rifle. That would just be odd lol.

Last edited:

BerettaBarbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    My Fiancee shoots right handed with left eye.. he turns his head to the right (like previous poster mentioned) the key is to get your eye into the same alignment it would be in if you were looking with your right eye. I have no doubt this takes a lot of practice

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have adapted quite nicely by shooting with both eyes open. I don't do so good shooting sporting clays because of the convergence but still manage to bust enuff to be decent.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    ultimately he should learn to shoot according to his dominant eye. If it is too late for this, patching the left eye will work at the range. even a smear on the lens of his shooting glasses( mud, spit, whatever) will force the right eye to take over.
    for defensive practice,he is just going to have to practice, practice, and finally practice some more. with a pistol, changing the head position is possible, repeating that position consisently is the hard part. with a rifle he will have to shoot with his dominant eye or close it and shoot with his dominant hand. the human neck just doesn't allow anything else.

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a student several years ago who was cross dominant. We tried every combination that we could think of until we found what worked. Try this with an empty gun until you find the stance that feels best. Next try it with several rounds to ensure that the recoil is properly handled. Remember that there is no absolute position for the feet. We are all built differently.

He ended up using a Weaver stance but with the feet reversed from the hands. It looked very strange but it felt comfortable to him and he became very accurate.

Don

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    This is for a pistol. Thanks for the responses. I'll relay these messages and tell him to put 500 rounds through the 22.

I just can't seem to get him on target, which is why I posted the question. I think it might be the lack of a chin tuck.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Weird, I'm left eye dominant and always just shut it when I shoot. I do that with pistol, rifle and bow. Guess I'll have to give the left eye a shot :)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    That's one of the first things I check if a new shooter is going with me. What hand/eye dominant they are.

It's great that you can close your left eye and feel comfortable.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm cross eye dominant. I shoot right handed but I'm left eye dominant. I have trained myslef to focus with my right eye when shooting both eyes open. If I am shooting a purely marksmanship course, I'll close my left eye.

When I started shoot scoped bolt guns for SWAT - I used a patch over my left eye and I trained my right eye to take over, then shot both eyes open using my rifle scope after that. My left eye would take in everything close in while my right would focus on the cross hairs and the distance through the scope.

I got some eye excercises from my eye dr. and that helped a lot.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm cross eye dominant. I shoot right handed but I'm left eye dominant. I have trained myslef to focus with my right eye when shooting both eyes open. If I am shooting a purely marksmanship course, I'll close my left eye.

When I started shoot scoped bolt guns for SWAT - I used a patch over my left eye and I trained my right eye to take over, then shot both eyes open using my rifle scope after that. My left eye would take in everything close in while my right would focus on the cross hairs and the distance through the scope.

I got some eye excercises from my eye dr. and that helped a lot.

What exercises might those be? Having one eye in the scope and one on the surroundings makes my brain :laugh:

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I have almost 20/20 vision in my left eye, but not in my right. Being right-handed I changed my pistol shooting to my left-eye. I generally squint with my right eye, but it isn't totally necessary because I have a bit of a blur in my right eye up close already. It is easier to get used to if you cock your head a bit toward the secondary eye. I have seen people put scotch tape on glasses on their off-eye. Repetition is the key so that it becomes automatic when you draw the weapon up.
    ~Poe

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Does he get better results when using the right eye? I too am left eye dominant but being right handed I want to use my right eye and so I put tape scotch tape on my shooting glasses to make the right eye dominant. This eliminates the changing of the stance and so forth from what I want it to be.

I don't think it is important to use the dominant eye with pistols as long as he can see well with his right eye.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    If you really want to change dominance, then do it permananty, not just for the afternoon. Use an eye patch at home and even out a few times to bring you weak up to speed. It doesn't take long and then you are where you want to be.

By the way, use what ever eye you want with what ever hand you want, as long as you are being safe who cares. But it can be more comfortable one way or another, find that and go with it. Then you should train hard and never let up.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Forgive me, but I really don't understand this problem. I'm right-handed and left eye dominant, but I just close my left eye to shoot. Actually, if I want, I can close my left eye, get a sight picture, then open my left eye.

What I don't understand, is why don't people with cross eye dominance just close the dominant eye? Or are you guys saying that people have trouble closing that eye? Or is shooting a handgun with both eyes open that important to accuracy? Or is closing the dominant eye bad for accuracy? I really don't understand this problem, someone please explain it to me. I've known I was cross dominant for many years, but I never knew it was a problem until I start reading handgun books.

Top Bottom