• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Has anyone polished the feed ramp on a Rock Island 1911? Mine is a little finicky about chambering the first round, especially with hollow points. Yes, I know I get what I paid for and a higher quality 1911 would not present this issue, just curious if anyone has done something to improve feeding.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've done it on more than one pistol. As long as you know the difference between polish and grinding. it can't hurt. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It's not just a cheap 1911 problem. My Sig Ultra Compact 1911 had some feed ramp issues in the beginning. I got it polished and now only use good ammo. I don't have problems very often now.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had to polish all my RIA ramps and even throat the barrel a little.
    The metal is very soft on the RIA ramps and it's EASY to cut too much metal off the ramp even polishing. CAREFUL.
    I recommend JHP in them. IF you look at the spacing between ramp and barrel you'll see why the JHP will be more dependable on them.
    Good mags will help the feed angle as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1911's are ramped for 230 gr. full metal jackets and hollow points can and will give you some issues if certain things are not done to the ramp and barrel mouth.
    There are a few rounds available that are self defense that are shaped very close to the standard 230 FMJ round and will feed very well in your gun.
    Note.....be careful running +P or hotter rounds in that gun.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Before you break out the dremel, try getting a nice, high quality pencil (I recommend Ticonderoga), and take the eraser and make nice, even swipes along the feed ramp. Then take it back to the range and see if the problem still persists.

Top Bottom