• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I was really interested in the post that BBI did on revolvers for self defense, https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/393716-do-revolvers-suck.html

It made me feel good that I had traded for a 642 for carry. Then I bought a Shield and thought it might be a good alternative too. So this weekend at the range I ran a little test, not a full fledged experiment mind you. From low ready and 7 yards I rapid fired at a silhouette target with standard ammo. Here are my groups:

7+1 shots with Shield
    xarrpi.jpg

J frame (642 with full Hogue grip) 5 shots
    1671ls0.jpg

I realize that self-defense conditions are much different than the range but I was surprised how much better I was with the Shield. I suppose from a self defense perspective the 642 hits would be good enough and I certainly don't plan to make head shots with the Shield. Just shows the 642 will take a lot more work to master as everyone always mentions about snubbies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's a reason the Shield is my generic recommendation for a carry gun. It is easy to shoot.

Keep in mind, though, revolvers use a different grip to be effective. Using a semi auto grip won't let you shoot it as well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Trigger control on a revolver shooting DOA is a different skill. With practice you can learn to stage the trigger so that you know when the cylinder has stopped turning and latched in and touch up the sight picture right at the moment before you reach the sear. It sounds more complicated than it is, and is staging trigger control is obtainable is a few hundred rounds. I do admit that DOA trigger control training feels unnatural for people that were raised on semi autos. Becoming competent in DOA revolver trigger control will spill over as improvement at any trigger control.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Cycling a DA revolver requires a lot of dry fire work until you can pull it through without moving the sights. Put a small dot on your wall and watch the front sight intensely while you dry fire slowly. You don't want to know exactly when the hammer going to fall - you just keep it steady until it does. Semi auto pistols are ridiculously easy to shoot compared to a DA revo. But amazing things are definitely possible. It's very similar to archery - it is pure Zen. It's like the difference between driving a nail in with a 20 oz. framing hammer - or whacking it with a nail gun.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Shooting is about hitting. For non-grizzly situations, autos are simply better. It doesn't mean revolvers suck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was really interested in the post that BBI did on revolvers for self defense, https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/393716-do-revolvers-suck.html

It made me feel good that I had traded for a 642 for carry. Then I bought a Shield and thought it might be a good alternative too. So this weekend at the range I ran a little test, not a full fledged experiment mind you. From low ready and 7 yards I rapid fired at a silhouette target with standard ammo. Here are my groups:

7+1 shots with Shield
    xarrpi.jpg

J frame (642 with full Hogue grip) 5 shots
    1671ls0.jpg

I realize that self-defense conditions are much different than the range but I was surprised how much better I was with the Shield. I suppose from a self defense perspective the 642 hits would be good enough and I certainly don't plan to make head shots with the Shield. Just shows the 642 will take a lot more work to master as everyone always mentions about snubbies.

Have you dry fired the 642 much? That might help after learning from this shooting session?

Coach gave me the tip to "watch the hammer come all the way back." I know that won't help with the 642, but the idea of staying focused through the long revolver trigger pull should be similar. I was going too fast, as if the trigger "slapping" I get away with on the 1911 would work. It didn't.

When I slowed down and felt the whole motion of the trigger, with front sight on target, the problem was solved. WHO head shots became reliable.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Autos enable the average shooter to miss more stuff faster with more rounds. I competed with pistols and revolvers for years in USPSA, pins and steel, and love both types of guns. But if I go out of my house I carry a big bore S&W revolver.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    All good advice. I did an Apex Carry trigger job on the 642 and have snap caps for dry firing. I just need to practice more! I like both guns, just very different.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have nothing to say about your shooting. I just want to tell (again) this tale;

I was shooting my snubnose Ruger sp101 .357 at the outdoor range. I was putting 5 shots into a paper plate at 50 feet and was not improving. The range boss who was one large old and foul-tempered sheriff and who had been eyeballing my long haired hippy self, had finally had enough. He strides up and like a Marine drill-instructor, snatches my gun away from me and off-hand, double action and rapid fire, at 50 feet, he dumps 5 shots into a hole that you could cover with a quarter-dollar! HOLY CRAP!

With a steely eye (with perhaps a little sparkle in it) he then thrusts my gun into my hands while loudly announcing to everyone on the firing-line "It's not the gun boys and girls! practice, practice, practice!".

I didn't have anything productive or helpful to say........ I just love to tell this story whenever anyone discusses accuracy and/or the size of their groups.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Good story! I like the 642 and am going to practice with it to get better. It was interesting to me how much easier the Shield was to shoot in comparison.

For my purposes the j-frame is sufficient so practice I will!

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have nothing to say about your shooting. I just want to tell (again) this tale;

I was shooting my snubnose Ruger sp101 .357 at the outdoor range. I was putting 5 shots into a paper plate at 50 feet and was not improving. The range boss who was one large old and foul-tempered sheriff and who had been eyeballing my long haired hippy self, had finally had enough. He strides up and like a Marine drill-instructor, snatches my gun away from me and off-hand, double action and rapid fire, at 50 feet, he dumps 5 shots into a hole that you could cover with a quarter-dollar! HOLY CRAP!

With a steely eye (with perhaps a little sparkle in it) he then thrusts my gun into my hands while loudly announcing to everyone on the firing-line "It's not the gun boys and girls! practice, practice, practice!".

I didn't have anything productive or helpful to say........ I just love to tell this story whenever anyone discusses accuracy and/or the size of their groups.

He snatched it out of your hands and fired it without your permission? Sounds like your range needs a new safety officer. Good shot or not, that's not kosher.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    "It's not the gun boys and girls! practice, practice, practice!".

Hard to argue with.

I enjoy my autos, but I love shooting a revolver. It feels different from an auto. For what ever reason, I find that I'm more accurate with a revolver too. And who can say they don't love the fact that you don't have to chase brass around at the end of the day?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Guy sounds like a real prick good shot or not!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hard to argue with.

I enjoy my autos, but I love shooting a revolver. It feels different from an auto. For what ever reason, I find that I'm more accurate with a revolver too. And who can say they don't love the fact that you don't have to chase brass around at the end of the day?

The revolver makes you slow down, and revolvers are also more forgiving of a too tight strong hand grip (aka panic grip).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Actually no I did not. Thank you for the info I will be looking into this.

Well worth the look, my friend. I've trained with obijohn for a number of years. Obviously, I can speak highly of him.

Maybe we'll run into each other at Riley Conservation Club?

Top Bottom