• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Thinking of a fun gun. I only have one Revolver left a 4” model 19.
    the new revolver will not be a target gun - I have a CZ TSO and some great 1911’s In .45 and 9mm . I most likely will not carry it as I carry a CZ 75 Compact or a Sig 365. Occasionally when in the woods a 10MM DW Bruin.
    I am thinking a Jframe 357, an L frame 686 7 shot or possibly a Governor. Just thinking short barrel.
    what do you folks think?

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I find the L frame S&W 686 guns to be very nice, and a nice combination of size and weight. Not too big, not too small. The 3" version handles Magnum recoil very well. So, nice trigger; well made; can eat a wide variety of ammo; no punishing with Magnums. Hard to beat that.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have a model 60 and 686. If I had to choose which one was more fun it would probably be the 686 (4in barrel). Very smooth and manageable recoil.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a lot of fun with a S&W 617.

I certainly wouldn't be trying to add a new cartridge right now.
    6 or 10 shot? I had a 20 10 once but sold it since I didn't like the absence of torque feel from the cylinder rotating only about half as much. Just couldn't adjust to that.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Mine is the 10-shot version. When I was looking, the 6-shot was more expensive. I don't particularly care about collector value, but I do like shooting, so I was leaning towards the 10 anyway.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a model 60 and 686. If I had to choose which one was more fun it would probably be the 686 (4in barrel). Very smooth and manageable recoil.
    I tend to echo this. I've got the 360 in 357 (not scandium frame, but lightweight). It's fun to shot, but it knocks the snot out of your hand. It is fun to take friends out and teach them snubbies can recoil with the best of them.
    I've also got the 686 in six inches. Most people think the snubby will be a cake walk, and are afraid of the bigger.
    If I did it over I'd probably buy the four inch 686. Although I can reasonably use mine for hunting.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I also have a 2" S&W 60 and a 4"686. When I shoot magnum loads, I can tell you that the recoil is easier to handle on the 686. Both guns are a lot of fun to shoot and the look on a newbies' face when pulling the trigger on the 60 is priceless. But once they adjust to it, no problems at all. If I had to chose between them, I would base my decision on the reason for the purpose of the gun. Just plinking and target fun? Go with the 686. Nightstand gun or occasional CC gun? The 60 will serve you well.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    FWIW, I had a 3" 686+ that I ended up selling to another INGO member a few years back as the L frame doesn't fit my hand quite as nicely as the K-Frame does. I shouldn't have done that, it's one of a couple pieces I have parted with over the years that I kind of wish I had kept.

Around the middle of last year my son picked up a 686+ Pro Series, his is the 5" model as shown below with the tapered underlug. If you want a fun revolver, it's a serious hoot and so far has been lights-out accurate. The tapered underlug is kind of a strange look to get used to, but aside from the aesthetics it's been a very nice shooter. I also like how easy it is to swap out the front sight by simply pressing in a plunger button on the front of the barrel. He opted to change the brass bead stock sight for a green Hi-Viz FO sight.

178038_01_lg_1.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a 4” 581 that is a lot of fun. It’s spot on accurate, has a fantastic trigger thanks to BossHoss and just feels well balanced. I recently sold a 6” 686+ because I found that I liked the 581 better and the 686 sat in the safe.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    hopper the l frame and the k frames take the same grips .the grip frame are the same, what did mot fit your hand ?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    hopper the l frame and the k frames take the same grips .the grip frame are the same, what did mot fit your hand ?
    Yep, the grips are interchangeable, which I had done with some swapping back-and-forth between a 66 and the 686. I have small palms with longish piano fingers, and while the L frame never felt bad it also never felt quite as right in my hands as my K-Frames do.

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    FWIW, I had a 3" 686+ that I ended up selling to another INGO member a few years back as the L frame doesn't fit my hand quite as nicely as the K-Frame does. I shouldn't have done that, it's one of a couple pieces I have parted with over the years that I kind of wish I had kept.

Around the middle of last year my son picked up a 686+ Pro Series, his is the 5" model as shown below with the tapered underlug. If you want a fun revolver, it's a serious hoot and so far has been lights-out accurate. The tapered underlug is kind of a strange look to get used to, but aside from the aesthetics it's been a very nice shooter. I also like how easy it is to swap out the front sight by simply pressing in a plunger button on the front of the barrel. He opted to change the brass bead stock sight for a green Hi-Viz FO sight.

178038_01_lg_1.jpg
    I have 586 from the classic line.
    This would be the other option I would consider. My GP100 gets alot of use too though

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you're not going to carry it, I'd recommend something full-sized, and maybe even a longer barrel for increased sight-radius for precise plinking (although I really like the balance of a 3-4" barreled revolver).

The GP100 in .357 is a great choice, and even though it's not that much different in size than your model 19, it shares calibers and would consume a steady diet of hot loads which would save wear on that K-frame smith. They also make one in 10mm that uses moon clips...could share ammo with your Dan Wesson.

A .22 would also be a fun choice...cheap plinking and could double as a varmint gun around the house. I'm a Ruger guy, and have been eyeing an SP101 in .22 at a local shop lately. Seems like a nice gun. The S&W 617 would be a great choice as well, though.

Finally, not sure how you feel about single-actions, but if the main criteria is simple range fun, they definitely fit the bill. I love my Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45ACP. I actually prefer shooting ACP out of it...you don't have to mess with moon clips like you do shooting semi-auto ammo in DA revolvers, extraction is quick and easy with the short cases, and ammo is (in normal times) abundant and cheaper that the .45 Colt. The gun is accurate, built like a tank, and well-fit with nice blueing. Not to mention, shooting a cowboy gun just puts a grin on your face. They also make convertibles in .357/9mm and 10mm/.40 S&W if those are your calibers of choice.

Top Bottom