• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    My EDC carry is a G19. It's a good carry gun and I love the caliber, but I'm thinking of adding a revolver to the mix. I'd like to get a .357 that works as a carry gun and I like the reliability (I'm a glock owner) of a revolver and what they bring to the table.

My questions/decision areas are:

1. Barrel length - snubbies are going to be easier to conceal, but is a 3-4" that bad? The length on my glock isn't an issue (it's a width issue). I hated trying to carry a 1911 though (much longer). From a performance issue, I hear mixed things about snubby, but for my use who cares right?

2. Grip - I hate those little baby grips that don't fit your pinky. I fondled an EAA/HW snubby .357 today which I loved the weight on, but the grip was a tad short. I also fondled a Taurus with a full size grip. Can I get a full size grip with a snubby barrel?

3. What else don't I know???

I'm leaning toward a Rossi or EAA just based on price. I don't need something pretty. I've read about a million reviews and some people hate them and some people love them. Would appreciate opinions from on the site.

Totally open to suggestions and thoughts.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    J frame Smith's have gotten down to where they are only about $100 more than the ones you mentioned...I have heard not very good things about the EAA...As far as the pinky hanging off the grip frame it is in my humble opinion that that seems to be more psychological than physical...Make a fist with your hand...See? Your pinky naturally does that anyway when tensing up and seems to be an appendage that has about as much use as our little toe does....

The thing to remember about a snub is that it is not made for extended range sessions....It is made to fire 10 or so rounds through a week and to keep on you in case you ever need it....

Don't hate the little grip....Become the little grip...:)

IMHO of course but I have a thing for J frames....

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    J frame Smith's have gotten down to where they are only about $100 more than the ones you mentioned...I have heard not very good things about the EAA...As far as the pinky hanging off the grip frame it is in my humble opinion that that seems to be more psychological than physical...Make a fist with your hand...See? Your pinky naturally does that anyway when tensing up and seems to be an appendage that has about as much use as our little toe does....

The thing to remember about a snub is that it is not made for extended range sessions....It is made to fire 10 or so rounds through a week and to keep on you in case you ever need it....

Don't hate the little grip....Become the little grip...:)

IMHO of course but I have a thing for J frames....

I regularly pocket-carry a J-frame, and agree with all of the above. Since you can get a J for $350-400, why bother with a lesser-quality gun?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll chime in -- look at the Ruger LCR options
    They have w/ hammer, hammerless, and snubby length as well as a longer (3.5"???) Length.

The ruger sp101 is a great little gun, but very heavy compared to other options mentioned in this thread.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    The J frame is a great pocket gun. I have carried one for a long time. The S&W J Frame or the Ruger LCR would be my recomendation, both are great guns. If price is an issue then I would go with a Taurus J Frame. I have had good luck with Taurus, S&W and Ruger

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    You might want to take a look at a Ruger SP101 with a 2.25 inch barrel.

5720.jpg

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Just remember...5<16...My dad carries a revolver...I shot it at the range and was like...that's it? 5?

He was not so speedy with the speed loader either, said it was junk. I wouldn't count on being able to reload any gun, much less a revolver.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Thanks for all the replies guys, tons of good leads here.

Couple of comments:

-Someone mentioned weight being heavier on the SP101 vs. the J frames. I don't mind a little weight on a .357.

-The point of a snubby with full size grip was questioned. It may just be for me, but I've never found grip length to be a detriment to my carry. I have more issue with the barrel than the grip, but that may be personal and tied to the types of holsters I've been using.

I wrote down all the recommendations so far. Lots of homework to do tomorrow!

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Sounds like you want to look at a Smith K frame with a 3" tube (ejector rod is longer than the snubbie). How about a Model 65? Maybe a bobbed hammer so it does not snag?

Agreed,the 3" 65 is as good as it gets for IWB/OWB revolver carry.

I would also suggest looking at a S&W 640, if you want a J-frame with a little weight.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    The one thats got my attention is the ruger gp100 clapp edition. Its got a 3 inch barrel which is a good compromise between a full 4 inch and a 2 1/2 inch snub barrel so it gives a full length ejector rod. It also has novok sights which dont snag as much as as adjustable target sights but are better to aim with than a groove in the top strap and bump on the end of the barrel for your sights on a typical snub.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I jjust bought an SP101 in .327Federal magnum. It has a 4.2" barrel and I put a set of Hogue over-molded rubber grips on it.
    Great carry gun.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm not clear as to how you want to carry the revolver.

A J-Frame can be carried IWB, but in my unwashed tacticool mind it's better in a pocket for me... if I'm going to put on a holster, either OWB or IWB, 99% of the time it won't be for a revolver. But a J-frame or an LCR in the pocket appeals to me from a grab-n-go convenience standpoint. I like revolvers, but I'm not a "revolver guy." I'm not as accurate with a DA revolver as I am with any of my Wonder Nines, and my revolver reload times are best correlated with glacier movement. While BBI's data points to reloads being irrelevant for self defense, I generally feel better with more in the gun.

I do not own a J-Frame or an LCR, but I will. I do own a Ruger GP100 and Alaskan, and a S&W 686 and M-29. IMO all four are too big for IWB, but plenty of options exist for OWB.

Here's a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel in a Home - Henry Holsters kydex holster.

Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag in a Custom Leather Gun Holster, Concealed Carry Holsters - Tucker Gun Leather holster

S&W 686-4 in a Bianchi #111

S&W 29-10 in a Simply Rugged Holsters - Leather Holsters, Leather Gun Belts, Leather Ammo Pouches and Leather Accessories Sourdough Pancake

As always, what works for me may not work for you.
    :ingo:

Top Bottom