• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I promised a review of these hearing protectors that are rated at 31db. I finally got the range Mon 24 May so here is my report.

ZEM.jpg

They are like electronic muffs without the bulk or batteries. They work just like electronic muffs, allows you to hear normal conversation but blocks the loud report from gun fire. They did an excellent job of protecting my hearing. I would rate sound suppression as good as my Peltor Ultimate 10 standard earmuffs that are rated at 29db. And I could still hear normal conversation very easily, which you can not do with standard earmuffs.[FONT=arial, helvetica]

[/FONT]
    I wore them for two hours and found them to be very comfortable. I moved around a lot, bending over to pick things up and set targets and they never needed adjusting. You must put them on following the very simple directions to ensure they seat properly in your ears. Here is an example of the instructions from the package:

ZEMinstructions.jpg

The two advantages I see compared to electronic muffs is they are lighter and more comfortable to wear and no need for batteries. In most cases they are cheaper also. One disadvantage is after extended use the foam cups will have to be replaced as they deform. ZEM SG-31's come with two extra sets. I'm just guessing but expect they will last around 30 trips to the range if you wear them for 2 hours or more. I see the replacement cuffs sold on the net for $4 for a set of 2.

To sum up I very happy with these. They are my new muffs for the range and I will wear them mowing the grass and trimming as well.

They are light, comfortable and need no batteries. Can fold to fit in a large shirt pocket and work very well at suppressing loud noise while allowing you to hear normal conversation. An affordable alternative to electronic muffs.

Here is a tip if you buy 3 at a time you can get them cheaper online at places like: Sensgard ZEM® SG-31 Natural Sound Banded Hearing Protector (NRR 31) - Banded Ear Plugs
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]
    [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom