• Status
    Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I started a thread a few months ago asking about an EDC (every day carry) light. I have been carrying a Streamlight Microstream for over a year now (thanks to Esrice for that tip!) and I use it way more than I ever expected to. That's to say that I carry it every time I set foot out of the house, now if I expect to need a flashlight, I have a Streamlight Stinger that fills that bill. What I have found is that, while I love the Microstream, I desired to have a light with a bit more power while still being small in stature so that I can EDC it without it being overly bulky. One of my requirements was that it be small, not being too much bigger than the Microstream, and take only one battery (to keep the size down). Here is a size comparison pic:
    IMG_4463.jpg

As you can see, the NiteCore fit into my size requirements nicely. It is almost exactly the same OAL as the Microstream, though it does have a larger diameter because it takes a single CR123 instead of a "AAA".

Another of my requirements is that the light be very bright (at least 200 lumens) and the NiteCore delivers in this department too, coming in at 200 lumens on standard CR123 batteries, and 220 lumens on lithium batteries.

I also required that the light have variable brightness levels and a strobe feature. The Nitecore features a "torch" mode AND a strobe feature making it fit my requirements in this area too, though the strobe activation leaves a bit to be desired (more on this later).

A pocket clip was also a must and the NiteCore sports a heavy duty clip permanently attached to the body which performs double-duty as an anti-roll device. The light is also flat on the opposite side from the clip to aid in anti-roll as well. While this wasn't a requirement of mine, I have found that it comes in handy and will be a requirement for future light purchases. The below pic illustrates the clip and the flat side as anti-roll features:
    IMG_4465.jpg

Another feature I required is that the light must include a silent clicky tailcap and the NiteCore delivers this too. You get momentary operation with a 1/2 force push on the button and no audible click, and constant operation with a full push but this is where you do get a click. I find this to be acceptable.

Overall, I am very pleased with this light. I considered many other brands and models before settling on this light. The features that I found desirable on this light include:

1. Compact size
    2. Very bright (200 lumens)
    3. Pocket Clip
    4. Multiple brightness settings
    5. Strobe setting
    6. Single battery operation
    7. Anti-roll features
    8. Durable construction including waterproof to IPX-8 standards
    9. Silent Clicky cap
    Now while price was NOT a consideration in this purchase, I thought that the NiteCore was decently priced at ~$70. It is available from a variety of retailers, but I got mine from BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!

I don't think there is perfection anywhere in the world, and the NiteCore is close, but not an exception. The only negative I can find on this model is the operation of the strobe feature. In order to activate the strobe feature, you have to unscrew the bezzle about 1/8 of a turn and then return it to full tightness very rapidly. While this is not difficult to achieve, it must be done with the light ON. I would prefer that the strobe feature was able to be activated without having the light on first, but I suppose I can get past this.

All in all I am very pleased with this light and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone as a great EDC option. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Rhino, Alxjmrk and Tinman for "educating" me in the world of EDC flashlights and for showing me some of theirs.

Here are a couple more pics just for yucks...
    IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom