• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I started a thread a few months ago asking about an EDC (every day carry) light. I have been carrying a Streamlight Microstream for over a year now (thanks to Esrice for that tip!) and I use it way more than I ever expected to. That's to say that I carry it every time I set foot out of the house, now if I expect to need a flashlight, I have a Streamlight Stinger that fills that bill. What I have found is that, while I love the Microstream, I desired to have a light with a bit more power while still being small in stature so that I can EDC it without it being overly bulky. One of my requirements was that it be small, not being too much bigger than the Microstream, and take only one battery (to keep the size down). Here is a size comparison pic:
    IMG_4463.jpg

As you can see, the NiteCore fit into my size requirements nicely. It is almost exactly the same OAL as the Microstream, though it does have a larger diameter because it takes a single CR123 instead of a "AAA".

Another of my requirements is that the light be very bright (at least 200 lumens) and the NiteCore delivers in this department too, coming in at 200 lumens on standard CR123 batteries, and 220 lumens on lithium batteries.

I also required that the light have variable brightness levels and a strobe feature. The Nitecore features a "torch" mode AND a strobe feature making it fit my requirements in this area too, though the strobe activation leaves a bit to be desired (more on this later).

A pocket clip was also a must and the NiteCore sports a heavy duty clip permanently attached to the body which performs double-duty as an anti-roll device. The light is also flat on the opposite side from the clip to aid in anti-roll as well. While this wasn't a requirement of mine, I have found that it comes in handy and will be a requirement for future light purchases. The below pic illustrates the clip and the flat side as anti-roll features:
    IMG_4465.jpg

Another feature I required is that the light must include a silent clicky tailcap and the NiteCore delivers this too. You get momentary operation with a 1/2 force push on the button and no audible click, and constant operation with a full push but this is where you do get a click. I find this to be acceptable.

Overall, I am very pleased with this light. I considered many other brands and models before settling on this light. The features that I found desirable on this light include:

1. Compact size
    2. Very bright (200 lumens)
    3. Pocket Clip
    4. Multiple brightness settings
    5. Strobe setting
    6. Single battery operation
    7. Anti-roll features
    8. Durable construction including waterproof to IPX-8 standards
    9. Silent Clicky cap
    Now while price was NOT a consideration in this purchase, I thought that the NiteCore was decently priced at ~$70. It is available from a variety of retailers, but I got mine from BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!

I don't think there is perfection anywhere in the world, and the NiteCore is close, but not an exception. The only negative I can find on this model is the operation of the strobe feature. In order to activate the strobe feature, you have to unscrew the bezzle about 1/8 of a turn and then return it to full tightness very rapidly. While this is not difficult to achieve, it must be done with the light ON. I would prefer that the strobe feature was able to be activated without having the light on first, but I suppose I can get past this.

All in all I am very pleased with this light and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone as a great EDC option. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Rhino, Alxjmrk and Tinman for "educating" me in the world of EDC flashlights and for showing me some of theirs.

Here are a couple more pics just for yucks...
    IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    great review! I saw the pics and thought that light looks familiar. well I have the same light but not a nitecore, its a romisen that I bought for $25 at the 1500 from going gear. the only differences is its 20 lumens dimmer and you can operate the strobe with the momentary tail click(silent click). so if you want another one you might check those out.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol tyler i bought my fenix pd20 from them also last 1500.(i am hoping they are gonna be at this show also) it also has a very easy strobe just click it 2 times. either way nice light sir

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What's the battery life?

I looked it up

Outputs and Runtimes

Primary CR123A Battery
    • Maximum Output: 200 lumens, 75 minutes to 50%
    • Minimum Output: 2 lumens, 120 hours to 50%

Rechargeable Lithium-Ion CR123A Battery
    • Maximum Output: 220 lumens, 50 minutes to 50%
    • Minimum Output : 2 lumens, 60 hours to 50%

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Good review!!

I need a good EDC light that won't cost the same as a case of ammo!!

I hate having stuff in my pockets how is it weight wise?

Is the pocket clip removable?

Anybody make a holster / belt carrier for it?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Good review!!

I need a good EDC light that won't cost the same as a case of ammo!!

I hate having stuff in my pockets how is it weight wise?

Is the pocket clip removable?

Anybody make a holster / belt carrier for it?

It doesn't weigh much, that is to say that I don't notice it when it's in my pocket. The clip is permanent, it's riveted. I haven't checked into a holster or carrier for it, but Raven could make you one if you so desired....

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Update!

Well, I have been carrying the NiteCore for just over a year now and I hate to say that I'm less than impressed.
    I don't carry this light to work, but I carry it everywhere else, every day. I wouldn't say that I'm hard on this light by any means. In fact, I would think that I'm comparatively un-demanding as compared to the average user, but I have no idea how to quantify that.

Here are my issues:
    The torx screws that secure the clip suck. One of them fell out of the hole because the hole evidently got stripped. I have no idea how this would happen as I have never tried to remove the screw. It just fell out one day and is now gone forever.

The tailcap switch has gotten picky. I thought it was dirty, so I cleaned it which only mildly helped. It's still picky and that's annoying.

The variable brightness stopped working. The light now only works on the brightest setting and will not cycle through it's brightness settings when not in "tactical" (brightest) mode.

The light sometimes emits a high-pitched sound when it's in use for more than a minute or two. This isn't a huge deal, but it can be irritating.

All in all, I would hesitate to recommend this light to anyone looking for an EDC light. On it's face, it seems like a great light with great features and a nice price, but it simply is not holding up to my expectations. I have switched my EDC light to a Fenix PD30 and my only complaint with it so far is that the tailcap is "clicky", meaning that you cannot activate the light without an audible (and tactile) "click". I will continue to search for the perfect EDC light, but I can now honestly say that I can cross the NiteCore off that list.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the update on the light.

My guess is those torx screws stripped from the tension on the screws from the clip while the light is clipped to your pocket.

I’ve got a 2 C Maglite LED flashlight that emits a rather loud high pitched sound when turned on. Not sure if its the LED failing or just noise from the LED “working”.

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Streamlight MicroStream. Did you have any problems with it?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Thanks for the update on the light.

My guess is those torx screws stripped from the tension on the screws from the clip while the light is clipped to your pocket.

I’ve got a 2 C Maglite LED flashlight that emits a rather loud high pitched sound when turned on. Not sure if its the LED failing or just noise from the LED “working”.

I’ve been wanting to pick up a Streamlight MicroStream. Did you have any problems with it?

I have zero complaints with the Streamlight. It has been a flawless workhorse that takes more abuse than it probably should.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have switched my EDC light to a Fenix PD30 and my only complaint with it so far is that the tailcap is "clicky", meaning that you cannot activate the light without an audible (and tactile) "click".

Have I shown you my Streamlight PT2L? Its the same size and form-factor as the PD30, but has a momentary + clicky tailcap. Modes are switched simply by hitting the tailcap 1, 2, or 3 times, with the first time being the "bright" mode. 180 lumens with a C4 LED. Runs $50 and can be picked up from the Streamlight dealer at the 1500.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Holy crap. I have the same light. Bought from this review.
    I use it everyday, even at work. No issues so far, but I haven't had it as long as you.

I think I'll start searching for another light as well. And I'll even keep an eye out on what you end up getting, Nick ;)

There was a Fenix I was starting to like, but I can't remember which one it was. I know you and I talked about it.

Thanks for the heads up PM!

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I like the Streamlight PT2L you have, Evan. I have been looking at them at a couple places but I would like a light that has a little more "oomph" in the brightness department. The Fenix is 235 lumens and I like that.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Top Bottom