• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was trying to make a decision on one round to really stockpile in preparation for an extended SHTF situation. I wanted a handgun round that could be used in a carbine. I decided on the .45 ACP. I have quite a few .45 handguns including Glocks, 1911s, HK and FNPs. I didn't have a .45 carbine and started looking at Beretta and HK. I even looked at Kriss and HiPoint. A friend suggested looking at the MechTech conversion units MechTech - Home

I had a Glock 21 that I didn't shoot too much and decided to try the G21 conversion kit from MechTech. The base unit was $349.95 and since you are using your own lower, the upper assembly requires no paperwork. I paid by credit card and got the upper assembly today, 3 days later. I ordered the telescoping stock, quad rail system, M16 Carry handle/rear sight assembly and the M16 Front sight assembly. When I ordered, they told me they were out of the quad rails and wanted to know if they could ship the unit and back order the quad rail. I had them ship with the back order.

The unit got here today and I spent some time reading the manual and did an initial cleaning. I had to remove the slide/barrel assembly from my Glock and mate it up with the MechTech upper. The unit uses the factory Glock rails and locking system.

apart.jpg

Since I didn't have the quad rails to mount my M16 sights, I pulled an EoTech off my KelTec RFB and mounted it on the G21. I loaded up some factory Glock 13 round mags and a couple 27 round mags and headed off to the range. I started off at 25 feet and fired 10 rounds into one ragged hole about 2 inches below the bull. I did have an initial failure to feed, but that was my fault. I rode the bolt handle instead of letting slam home.

I moved the target back to 50 feet and fired an additional 90 rounds. The telescoping stock was very stable and fit me well extended all the way out. There is a small rubber pad covering the end of the stock, but it is only about and inch wide. The recoil wasn't unpleasant but I could feel it after 100 rounds. I had one additional failure to feed. The bolt didn't lock completely and I just tapped the bolt handle forward to seat the bolt. I was surprised at the accuracy of the unit. I had one hole about the size of a silver dollar with 2-3 rounds jus off the edge of that hole. I didn't adjust the EoTech since I'm going to install the M16 sights when the quad rail gets here.

I got home from the range and cleaned the weapon per the instructions: no need to disassemble the unit. Just remove the Glock lower and spray down the upper with RemClean or your favorite spray solvent and clean the bore from the muzzle. Since the lower is removed, any gunk pushed out the barrel just drops down on the cleaning bench. They said to give the bolt and carrier a couple squirts of your favorite spray lube and reassemble the unit.

together.jpg

I was impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship. There wasn't anything that looked cheap or poorly made. It is way too soon for me to recommend this unit. I'd like to put another 400 - 500 rounds through it and see how it shoots out to 100 and 200 yards. I like the idea of using any of my 1911 lowers on an additional unit I plan on purchasing.

I have seen this unit mentioned in a couple threads but never saw any posts where someone had actually tested or fired one. If there's any interest in this project, I'll update this review after I get some more rounds burned up. BTW, this thing is a blast to shoot :ar15::ar15:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom