• Status
    Not open for further replies.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Before I bought this product my skills at honing an edge was average at best. I could sharpen each knife I had just enough to put it back into service. I only used stones and occasionally a leather strop. I do use a steel when butchering.

The pack I purchased came with:
    The Edge Pro Apex came with Apex Model Edge Pro Sharpening system, 120 Grit coarse, 220 Grit Medium Fine, 320 Grit Fine, 600 Grit Extra Fine, 1000 Grit Ultra Fine Water stones, 8" 1200 Grit Ceramic Hone, Instructional DVD, Instructional Manual, Cloth, & Water bottle enclosed in a black Cordura Carrying case.

As you can see this is a very easy product to use. This was my first time setting it up and using it. I did do some editing to shorten the video some, so you won't see me checking the scratch mark and making adjustments. I know my technique could use some refining as well.

If you have some time on this system please critique my technique.

I high recommend this product for several reasons.

The construction although plastic was strong and sturdy. It held its for well and never seemed to want to buckle. The suction cup were also very strong and never lost hold. The guide block moved easily and locked tight without wanting to slip. The stones held well and fit snug.

The rod system moved easily and adjusted very well.

The most important part of this system IMO was the easy of instructions to follow to get a good edge. I have a few other systems that take forever to set up and are difficult to get the right angle. I watched the edge pro youtube vids and had no problem using this system.

I am curious to the life expectancy to the stones, however at $14 each, I imagine that replacing them won't be that painful.

In this video I sharpen the following.... Pampered Chief Chef's knife, my 6" boning knife, and my Kershaw folder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmUPHnm0dns

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom