Not open for further replies.

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    EAG.567-2T.jpg

Eagle Chest Rig, Universal/SKD Version :: At SKDTAC.com :: Eagle Industries, Multicam Tactical Gear, Tactical Vests, Molle Pouches, Chest Rigs...

Over the weekend I attended a 2 Day Basic Carbine Course by EAG Tactical. I ran the SKD chest rig.

Upsides.

This rig is extremely solid in construction and the materials seem like they could put up with quite a bit of abuse. The padded straps were a welcome addition, as ammo weight can quickly add up and wear you down. Reloads were smooth with no problems due to snags or extremely tight pouches. The dual mag pouches had no problem with retention, even when one mag was removed, during drills going from standing, to kneeling, to prone. Picking up mags after drills required no holding of gear when bending down to get things off the ground. I felt this was a plus because you can keep your hand on your weapon to increase safety and be ready for situational changes. The pocket on the back side of the rig remained unused during the course. This rig is lightweight and virtually unnoticeable. It breathes very well in the 90 degree weather and showed no signs of absorbing stinky sweat and smelling like a nasty gym sock later.

Downsides.

The crossed straps on this rig tend to migrate inward, and after a while they'll irritate the neck. With armor or a collar this would not be an issue. Reloads out of the outside pouches were less speedy due to the hook and loop retention straps. This was easily remedied by wrapping the retention straps around the neck straps at the base of the rig.

All in all this is a great piece of gear. I enjoyed using it and would recommend it to anyone for low weight training.

Kut

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As promised, I thought I would update this thread after running this chest rig at MDFI's Carbine 1 class held at lovemywoods' range in Brown County, IN a few weeks ago.

First a few pics:

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

440.jpg

436.jpg

430.jpg

417.jpg

395.jpg

394.jpg

382.jpg

370.jpg

Going into this class, my goal was to find something to hold at least 4 magazines on my person. There are many ways to do this, but I chose the chest rig due to 2 factors: time and cost. I didn't have time to order belt pouches, so I needed something quick and possibly local. I also didn't want to spend an arm and a leg, because I wasn't sure if I'd even like this method, and could possibly end up changing it at a later time. When I found a fellow INGOer selling this rig for less than retail, I jumped on it.

I ran this rig during a 1-day basic carbine class. It was a very HOT day. Ninety-plus degrees. I wore it from the time class started, removed it for lunch, and then finally took it off after the last drill of the day. Total time in it was maybe 6 hours.

Although the rig did hold in heat closer to my body, it was not unbearable. I was expecting worse, but once it was on I kinda forgot about it. Removing it for lunch did cool me down quicker, but I would not hesitate to recommend this for hot weather activities.

The padded straps were a nice touch, and I never once felt like they were binding up or pinching me. There was some talk of possible ride-up of the straps, but I did not experience this, even with a collar-less moisture-wicking t-shirt on. My UERT sling, while running on top of the straps, never did interfere in any way. One word of caution, however-- the intersecting straps are a great place for your neighbor's hot brass to funnel down. I got 3 separate pieces of flaming hot brass down my back over the course of the day, leaving some pretty neat looking scars.

Although the pouches can hold up to 8 mags, I ran just 4 at a time. I also removed the outer retention straps, as I didn't need the added retention for our activities. I didn't run any pistol mags in the front pouches, and instead kept just a folding knife and multi-tool there.

As with any class, I learned a lot about my gear and its deployment. Although the chest rig worked great for its purpose, I will probably move on and try another method for my intended purposes. In MY world, my carbine would most likely be used for self-, home-, and property-defense. Because of this, I will be exploring the use of a "sneaky bag". Tossing on a fully-loaded chest rig at 1am is probably a bit much for me. The 'grab-and-go' aspect of the sneaky bag appeals to me.

In summary, the Eagle rig works very well for its intended purpose, and it does it at a reasonable price. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a starter rig.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Well, here's the way it's set up now. Three 20 round M-14 mags, four 1911 mags and the 1911 in the right side. Fixed blade knife on the outside as well as a folder and a SureFire in the other two mag pockets. My chopped dowm M-14 is kind of a long range home defense type of gun, but figure it's good for stopping cars as well as bad guys!

picture.php

picture.php

It'll also get used if I ever get around to taking a carbine class with my AC556. I like the versatility of being able to hold AR/AK/M-14/Mini-14 mags.

Looking forward to testing it out at the range!

Doug K

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom