• Status
    Not open for further replies.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    I purchased this "Danish Civil Defense Engineer's Tool Set" on a whim after seeing some favorable reports on another forum. It turned out to be a surprisingly nice collection of tools with a well-crafted backpack to carry them in.

Unfortunately, the exact set I got is no longer available from the source. But, there are sets which include most of the tools minus the blanket for less money. Shop around their site to see what they have. It's a neat site.

On to the pics!

web.jpg

Invoice

web.jpg

Assortment of Tools

web.jpg

Canvas Backpack

web.jpg

Hachet/Pike Detail

web.jpg

Tools packed into their respective slots inside of foldout backpack

web.jpg

Blanket folded on top of tools to fill and pad backpack

P1100478.jpg

Backpack folded up

web.jpg

Backpack straps

web.jpg

Relative Size

P1100480.jpg

Suitcase mode

It's what the Danish government thought would be useful in some post-disaster scenario in the era from 1950-1960. Hmmm, let me think a minute--Nuclear war possibly???

The thought which kept running through my mind was you can't find or afford this kind of quality stuff now. If you went to Harbor Freight, you could probably pick up some Chinese/Taiwanese tools for about the same money. The real value here is that these tools were made back when people cared and they obviously wanted them to perform. They appear to be real quality. All are from European sources. The pack is a cool plus.

Condition of everything was like new. All the metal pieces were coated in cosmoline. There was no rust. If it looks discolored, it's just the coating. I had to clean up the pliers and the crescent wrench with some brake cleaner so they would work smoothly. I re-oiled them with some light machine oil. The bolt cutters were in good shape and worked despite the coating. So I left them alone. The hatchet was very sharp. The extra wooden handle will fit the maddox/pick and the auger bit.

Everything fits into a compartment in the backpack very nicely. I was impressed by how the loaded pack feels--no shifting or clanking of the tools. The pack stands on its own. The straps are not padded, just utilitarian and low bulk. Total packed weight 30#. I printed out a picture from the website for a packing reference. There are no instructions shipped with the set.

What didn't come with it? There are a couple of empty slots in the backpack. I believe one of them will hold the Danish M-53 wire cutters also sold on the same site. There is another empty slot for a light/lantern they say uses a battery type no longer available. They did not include it in this kit.

Bottom line: Nice set of tools for disaster preparedness--just to throw in the truck toolbox for who knows what.

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...danish_civil_defense_engineer_s_tool_set.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom