• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    I am going on vacation in a couple of months to Central America. I have often thought of retiring to some place warm with a lot lower cost of living. However, after doing some research on the gun laws of Costa Rica and Belize, I think I’ll keep my happy ass right here in the good old USA. </SPAN>

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Belize and or Costa Rica would be nice. I looked into this several years ago and at that time, gun permits were available for a price. It pretty much stated that about anything was legal in Costa Rica if you had enough money for the permits. I'm a USA Boy and do not think that I'd ever willingly leave forever. Import taxes are extreme, cars are a PREMIUM

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There are other forms of transporation as well sarge (bikes, feet, etc..). =p
    But I do agree with you not sure if I could ever really leave the US even for a "paradise retirement".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well that is part of your cost of living you know. You could always "pay" to ensure taht the same offical stays in office and thus no new brides. besides I'm sure they will look the other way if you want a full auto provided you pay a bit more for their next campaign.

It's not like the US at all and I can only talk about Mexico (based on what I have seen my extended family do) where it's possible to "pay" for everything you want and never have the authorities on your back. You think Chicago Politicis are corrupt you aint seen nothing!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It's not like the US at all and I can only talk about Mexico (based on what I have seen my extended family do) where it's possible to "pay" for everything you want and never have the authorities on your back. You think Chicago Politicis are corrupt you aint seen nothing!

The sad thing is Mexico is one of the "better" Countries south of the border...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    True, true & in Mexico money (espeically the US dollar) opens a lot of doors to live in peace & quiet & without troubles from anyone if you so please.

If you move south along the baja california area or way south near the gulf you can live a nice qiet life away from the "real world" quiet nice and never be bothered.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The sad thing is Mexico is one of the "better" Countries south of the border...

Damn, Now that is a scary thought. One can wait a couple of years or just until Obama Messiah legalizes the 20 Million Illegals here and voilà, instant 3rd world outhouse :rolleyes:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Granted most of my time south of the border was on Army time. But I feel I did get a better view than most of the people who tourist in a lot of the locals there...
    I cannot think of a single place I would want to live there. The problem with corruption is it is like the tides. Always moving. Always new people, or more people to be paid...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The next big war I think it going to be US vs China. I hope to hell not but who knows.

I don't think it will ever come to open combat with the Chinese...
    I think it will be more like the Cold War with the Eastern Block. And remember the Chin was sitting on the sidelines taking notes playing both sides against each other towards the end.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would never move to some third world ********, pardon my language. I would rather sell everything, and move to Hawaii. That's just me though, I'll keep mt butt right here in the U.S.A.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alaska is where it's at for me. No snakes and few humans.

Maybe get a sailboat and head south for part of the long winter.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    you may want to look into the phillipines very cheap living.:rockwoot:

The Phillipines was my favorite non-US country. I absolutely LOVED the people there.

On the subject of bribes south of the border, how does one go about offering one? Do you just whip out the cash, "accidentally" leave a certain amount laying around, offer a gift for the precinct? It's a serious question... I'd imagine doing it wrong could cause unpleasantness.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The Phillipines was my favorite non-US country. I absolutely LOVED the people there.

On the subject of bribes south of the border, how does one go about offering one? Do you just whip out the cash, "accidentally" leave a certain amount laying around, offer a gift for the precinct? It's a serious question... I'd imagine doing it wrong could cause unpleasantness.

Depends on part what of Mexico you are in and who the official is (local, state, fed) and what you are looking to get out of.

In Mexico City the keyword to use when dealing with the MCPD is "mordida" (english translation = bite) to get out of traffic tickets. Here is an article on it: Mordida, Bribes - Some Things in Mexico Seem To Never Change - Bribes - La Mordida in Mexico - Ensenada Retirement

I recall my uncle getting pulled over for doing an illegal u-turn on the main ave leading into the capital. The cop told my uncle what he was pulling him over for and asked if he wanted a ticket. My uncle asked "how much for a bite" (in Spanish off course) the cop gave me an amount, my uncle pulled out a wad of cash and the cop went on his merry way. Unlike in the states, 95% of all transactions in Mexico occur with cash (ESPECIALLY big purchases where the salesperson will give you a "discount" provided you give them a bribe).

When dealing with local officials (mayors, elected officials, etc..) they tend to want "stuff" as oppose to cash. My aunt works for an engineering firm and they build clubs (dance clubs in the tourist areas and major cities). If you want to make sure you get all the proper permits and pass all the inspections you give "gifts" to the inspectors during their visit of your site. Typically my aunt meets the inspector for the first time for lunch. They talk about the project and what it will take to ensure the project is done "per code". The inspector may or may not ask for something direclty. If s/he does not my aunt ask about family (ie kids always want video games, note/netbooks, etc..) and these items are expensive in Mexico due to import taxes. So a nice laptop for his child during the second lunch to help Jr in school will go a llllooonnnggg way to ensure the club gets opened and/or all the inspections just get rubber stamped.

When my aunt comes to visit us (once a year around after thanksgivings) its typically because the firm she works for needs to re-stock up on electronics. So they send the majority of their employees to the US to buy netbooks, video games, etc...

As for federal officials/soldiers I'm not sure how that occurs as I have never seen/heard of it. It does happen but not sure how. In those cases you are really talking about much hire end items in terms of what you are asking for.

I do know that if you want to own a gun in the country (forget about it in the city way too many people you have to bribe and still worry about the law) you need to give a "bite" to the sheriff and typically some type of "gift" to his deputy. Also the local tax collection is gonna need something as well and the local mayor if you are going in town when you CC/OC.

It also helps a lot to give very generosity to the mayor's re-election fund and when his birthday come to also give generously.

This IS the way of life in Mexico. Those that don't bribe don't get jack but lots of headaches in terms of red tape.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have spent enough of my working years in third world pest holes, would never retire there. My wife met me at the gate years ago when I returned from my first trip out of the country, the first thing I said was we have a lot to be thankful for living in the USA. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am going on vacation in a couple of months to Central America. I have often thought of retiring to some place warm with a lot lower cost of living. However, after doing some research on the gun laws of CostaRica and Belize, I think I’ll keep my happy ass right here in the good old USA. </SPAN>

I saw the thing about Belize on Yahoo a day or two ago too and looked up the same thing. Gracias, no.

Blessings,
    bill

Top Bottom