• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I wrote my congressman Brad Ellsworth regarding the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing Act. Here was his reponse:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on the Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act. I appreciate your comments, and I welcome this opportunity to share my thoughts.

As you may know, I have been a law enforcement officer for most of my career and a hunter all my life. My experiences have taught me the importance of responsible firearm ownership and usage. Please know that during my time in Congress I will always protect the Second Amendment right for Americans to keep and bear arms and oppose efforts to impose burdensome regulations on gun-owners.

Recently, Congressman Bobby Rush of Illinois introduced the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act, H.R. 45. This bill would establish a federal licensing requirement for all citizens who currently own a firearm or attempt to purchase a firearm. Shortly after this bill was introduced, it was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. I am not a member of that committee, but, if this bill comes to the House floor for a vote, I will vote against it.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your views with me. If you would like to learn more about my positions on issues important to you or receive regular updates on developments in Congress, please visit my Online Office at www.ellsworth.house.gov and sign up for my e-Newsletter.

Sincerely,

Brad Ellsworth

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You can't ask for much better than that. Clear, definitive. "I will vote against it." No weasel-words, no, "I'll consider your thoughts"... just "I will vote against it."

And from a Democrat, too. Good for him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    He will vote against it but the language is still there to support a modified version that is not so "burdensome". Glad he's committed to vote against it but I would like to know what he defines as "burdensome" Are there provisions within the bill he would support? hmmm The language is eerily familiar to Obama's campaign language about guns.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think he was clear in supporting the second amendment. It is good that you let him know where you stand. If enough people do that, it will keep him to his word.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I think he was clear in supporting the second amendment. It is good that you let him know where you stand. If enough people do that, it will keep him to his word.

I've sent him some letters & emails on occassion & the responses have always been positive towards the 2nd Amendment. I was very wary of him a few years ago when he first ran for office since most Dems are anti gunners. Right AFTER the election, he showed up at a Friends of NRA banquet which made me feel better. I don't like the fact that he voted for the last stimulus package, but in regards to the 2nd Amendment, I think he's a pretty stand up guy.

JL7072

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    The way to REALLY find out how commited he is- write him again expressing concern for your safety(under different name) & fear of guns & ask that he vote FOR it. Hate to waste his time, but you'd know if he is commited or just another politician.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Good for Ellsworth. I will make sure and drop him a line.

It is going to be hard to be a conservative democrat with BHO as president.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    The way to REALLY find out how commited he is- write him again expressing concern for your safety(under different name) & fear of guns & ask that he vote FOR it. Hate to waste his time, but you'd know if he is commited or just another politician.
    I would hesitate to do that as they very well may have a bean counter that compares the number of pro, con replies on any given subject.

Besides he voted AGAINST the Constitution of the United States of America last week! He voted YEAH to Tax certain individuals 90% because he did NOT read a bill before voting on it. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll143.xml :xmad:

Top Bottom