• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    The only reason the other candidates show respect to Ron Paul is because they have to. Like him or not he is the only candidate that practices what he preaches and any head to head argument with him at any debate, or anywhere for that matter, would expose any of the opposing candidates true colors. Engaging Dr. Paul on any real issue would force them to have to tell the truth simply because (again like him or not) the general public understands that even though they may not agree with his stance on some things that he is not in the habit of being a liar and he would likely be telling the truth about their previous actions against the people of the country that they claim to want to help.

Nobody cares if Gingrich, Romney, and Santorum call each other liars because they ARE liars but when someone who has a track record of telling the truth calls someone a liar it actually raises some eyebrows and that is the last thing they want. The other candidates would rather run their campaigns and debates with a he said she said sissy fight Jerry Springer style and keep the attention on nonsense as opposed to debating the real issues and giving Ron Paul any time to speak and get his message out. So yeah they had better sidestep him as much as possible an show him a lot of respect.

NiceGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Haven't seen Paul win anything yet. Doubt he's the guy to take on Obaaaaaahma, even if he IS pro gun.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I disagree. The paul or no one movement will pick up steam and probably represents the feelings of most RP supporters.

The movement will pick up steam among Paul supporters. For those not already hitched to his star, what point would there be?

The GOP recognizes this, see Palins comments a few weeks ago, and in a general election against BHO, they need every vote.

Yeah, but they also recognize that the entirety of Paul supporters hovers around 10-12% of the total number of voters for the R primary process. 10% is less than the spread in some of these primaries; so even a complete migration from Paul to a single different candidate could be pointless, depending on the candidate to whom the support was thrown. So in the GOP eyes, Paul's contribution in terms of voters is minimal. And I think they're stupidly counting on the Anybody-But-Obama vote to keep people loyal to the R brand.

Unfortunately, that 10% is greater than the percentage difference by which the general election will be determined in November. So typical of the Big Party Machine, short-sightedness will be the undoing in the end.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The movement will pick up steam among Paul supporters. For those not already hitched to his star, what point would there be?

Yeah, but they also recognize that the entirety of Paul supporters hovers around 10-12% of the total number of voters for the R primary process. 10% is less than the spread in some of these primaries; so even a complete migration from Paul to a single different candidate could be pointless, depending on the candidate to whom the support was thrown. So in the GOP eyes, Paul's contribution in terms of voters is minimal. And I think they're stupidly counting on the Anybody-But-Obama vote to keep people loyal to the R brand.

Unfortunately, that 10% is greater than the percentage difference by which the general election will be determined in November. So typical of the Big Party Machine, short-sightedness will be the undoing in the end.

The point would be what your last sentence was. I hear a lot of RP supporters right now that say they'll still vote for the GOP nominee. The paul or no one vote is about the general, not the primary. It would cost the GOP a win in the general, based on your analysis of the spread.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    Check out polls on the candidates vs Obummer. Dr. Paul does very very well.
    Dr. Paul does not poll to badly against the President , much better than Newt , about the same as Santorum , but not nearly as well as Mitt . Mitt is probably the only one who can make it a close race . Dr. Paul is getting treated nicely because the contenders want his support and because they dont view him as a threat.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Dr. Paul does not poll to badly against the President , much better than Newt , about the same as Santorum , but not nearly as well as Mitt . Mitt is probably the only one who can make it a close race . Dr. Paul is getting treated nicely because the contenders want his support and because they dont view him as a threat.

I can understand this line of thought although I can't get there.

What it boils down to, all those that would vote for Romney will vote for Paul. The GOP will cast a vote against Obama no matter who it is. Romney will not get nearly as many dems and independents that Paul would. In a close race, right there is the difference between 4 more of BHO and him going back to Chicago.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty

What it boils down to, all those that would vote for Romney will vote for Paul. The GOP will cast a vote against Obama no matter who it is. Romney will not get nearly as many dems and independents that Paul would. In a close race, right there is the difference between 4 more of BHO and him going back to Chicago.
    Dr. Paul is pretty far to the right for most Dems and Independents. Most of the country falls closer to the middle.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

It would seem to be so, but the polls aren't showing that Any ideas? This is one that continues to puzzle me.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    If Ron Paul is not the Republican candidate , I'm voting for Obama. I mean, if I can't have Liberty, I at least would like the opportunity to use all my really cool preps I have stored up.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If they are nice and respectful to you then they do not fear you. Ron Paul is a non-player.

^ I think this is the correct answer. ^

Those guys aren't worried about Paul beating them so instead they play nice with him. If all people see is negative from you, they'll get a bad taste in their mouth. If you get a softball tossed up to you though... Plus, when Paul finally does drop out of the race maybe you can pick up some of his supporters if they remember you as the guy who was agreeing with what Paul was saying. Whatever the motive, it's purely political and most likely because he's not a threat. :twocents:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Well, no luck on any respect for RP flowing over the airwaves from Rush. I heard him briefly today while Ramsey was on commercial break.

A caller was making an argument that if Romney is the nominee by May, it may influence the SCOTUS decision on Obamacare because of Romney's similar system in Mass. The point being, SCOTUS may be more likely to uphold Obamacare knowing that Romney as potential POTUS would simply throw up his hands and roll over.

Interesting way to connect the dots by the caller. I hadn't really considered that and I'm still pondering it. Anyway, back to RP, Rush goes on about how the GOP needs to accept that each of the candidates, then he mentions Santorum, Gingrich, and Romney all have voted for or said things in the past that are not traditionally conservative.

Hmmmm....I can think of one candidate that has a consistently conservative voting record. Too bad Rush can't even mention his name!

Oh, and I guess Rush is planning on making his big endorsement tomorrow in Florida before the voting begins. Guess he won't be endorsing Dr Paul.

Who cares what Rush thinks. The guy thinks he is someone people should respect yet he has substance abuse issues and has been quoted many times talking about how stupid and worthless drug addicts are. The guy has told us him and his opinion are completely worthless by his standards.

Top Bottom