• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    What kills me is the irony. Someone in possession of a object currently illegal in the place they are in yet still pushing for said object to be banned in other places where they are legal. :facepalm: I mean COME ON!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been following this pretty close. They purchased from one FFL and sold it to another. In the interim, the buyer was the "intended owner". So, no straw purchase.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    She can always claim she got cold feet and got rid of it. Had she just handed it to her producer I could see a possible problem. All that seems to have happened is she made a point about buying a firearm and then transferred it back to an FFL.

Well, she wasted a little time and money along the way.

Maybe I am missing something.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    She can always claim she got cold feet and got rid of it. Had she just handed it to her producer I could see a possible problem. All that seems to have happened is she made a point about buying a firearm and then transferred it back to an FFL.

Well, she wasted a little time and money along the way.

Maybe I am missing something.

I don't think you are missing anything. In fact I believe this is just somebody trying to make a point and it's not likely that anything will come of it. I do enjoy the attention to stupidity though.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It seems, on the face of things, that she did not buy the firearm for her personal use, but that she bought it for use by the television program to produce a broadcast which would increase ratings. She bought the firearm under false pretenses.

All she has to do to avoid prosecution is lie to Federal officials.

Does anyone think the news team would commit perjury?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I suspect this may be key. It does not appear that she ever intended to keep it for herself.

The wording gets a little tricky for me, but did she have an intended buyer?

I believe it is a straw purchase if you have an intended buyer. You can buy a gun with every intention of selling it to someone. You just can't buy one to sell to Omar because he asked you to purchase it for him.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The owner of the shop she bought it from was on the radio the other day. She told him she intended to keep it and use for training for herself. That makes it a legal purchase. She then later decided not to keep it and sold it to someone who did use an FFL for legal transfer. Shady yes, illegal no.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah I'm on the side of it doesn't quite merit a straw purchase prosecution. I think there is more of a case for an illegal firearm purchase involving that whole Katie Couric anti-gun hit piece.

Top Bottom