• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Good evening everyone, I wanted to ask for anyone who has done it before on how difficult replacing the toggle link on a P08's toggle assembly is to do?

My Luger is a mismatch that has an adjustable rear sight that I would like to replace for the fixed V notch rear sight.

The rear sight is part of the toggle link however....so I am currious as to how much fitting would be involved? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I purchased a P08 years ago that couldn't shoot straight. I mean it was all over the place. Found a guy in northern Indiana & I sent him the gun and he adjusted the barrel seating and now it shoots wonderfully. I searched for his information but can't find it. I thought his name was "The Lugerman" but that comes up with an outfit in Pennsylvania but he might be a resource for you. I've purchased parts from him for my P08 & P38. Wish I could be more help.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Good evening everyone, I wanted to ask for anyone who has done it before on how difficult replacing the toggle link on a P08's toggle assembly is to do?

My Luger is a mismatch that has an adjustable rear sight that I would like to replace for the fixed V notch rear sight.

The rear sight is part of the toggle link however....so I am currious as to how much fitting would be involved? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Try inquiring on the website Pistole Parabellum. It has some of the most knowledgeable Luger mechanics around.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I have changed several toggle links with ORIGINAL toggle links, and there was no fitting involved. If you use a reproduction toggle link, I would guess fitting would be involved

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think we aren't supposed to promote.
    You can always share where you bought something or who did work for you. It’s a key part of what makes sites like this work. You can even promote yourself if somebody asks or it’s within the scope of somebody else’s discussion.

You can’t just out of the blue advertise your own services, unsolicited without being a business supporter. That is where you are confused.

So feel free to share.

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have changed several toggle links with ORIGINAL toggle links, and there was no fitting involved. If you use a reproduction toggle link, I would guess fitting would be involved
    I'm glad to hear that. As far as I know the part is original German made. I'm hoping there won't be to much fitting since I'm reusing the old toggle train.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I wanted to give an update for anyone who might have the answer, I replaced toggle links with a ww1 era link with the fixed rear sight and once installed the pistol fails to lock open with an empty magazine.

The hold open latch worked fine with the original mag and toggle link with the navy adjustable rear sight that is until they were swapped out did the issue begin to occur.

If anyone has heard of this type of problem I would love all input on how to resolve the issue. Thanks

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I would contact Luger Man in Pennsylvania
    Yeah i tried to call them earlier today and the lady on the phone got annoyed when I mentioned I had my local gunsmith working on it and that they didn't give free consultation over the phone and implored me to send it to them to look at.

When I mentioned I didn't have the extra money at the moment or felt comfortable with shipping the gun in the mail she then grew even more annoyed and lectured me Lugers aren't like new guns made on CNC machinery...... >_<

It made me not even want to ask about their toggle links or a magazine they had that I was interested in but I do still like their company for working on and selling Lugers.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Yeah i tried to call them earlier today and the lady on the phone got annoyed when I mentioned I had my local gunsmith working on it and that they didn't give free consultation over the phone and implored me to send it to them to look at.

When I mentioned I didn't have the extra money at the moment or felt comfortable with shipping the gun in the mail she then grew even more annoyed and lectured me Lugers aren't like new guns made on CNC machinery...... >_<

It made me not even want to ask about their toggle links or a magazine they had that I was interested in but I do still like their company for working on and selling Lugers.
    With all due respect, I can't blame the lady. Time is money for small businesses....she wasn't making money giving you advice for someone else to work on your gun.

I'm a gunsmith and own my business. If someone called me and wanted advice for someone else to fix their gun, I probably wouldn't be very giddy on the phone either.

Just my 2 cents....

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    With all due respect, I can't blame the lady. Time is money for small businesses....she wasn't making money giving you advice for someone else to work on your gun.

I'm a gunsmith and own my business. If someone called me and wanted advice for someone else to fix their gun, I probably wouldn't be very giddy on the phone either.

Just my 2 cents....
    I can understand that however I was prepared to buy a replacement toggle link from them among a few other items that would've paid them well.

I just wish the lady on the phone was more understanding about why I was hesitating on shipping my firearm as I have had things lost in the mail before and not to mention the extra costs incurred on top of the additional labor costs.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm not sure what the cause is I'm just going by what my gunsmith told me. He did say the hold open works when using the old toggle link.
    I can understand that however I was prepared to buy a replacement toggle link from them among a few other items that would've paid them well.

I just wish the lady on the phone was more understanding about why I was hesitating on shipping my firearm as I have had things lost in the mail before and not to mention the extra costs incurred on top of the additional labor costs.
    Well, there you have it ...

On the one hand you have what sounds like a gunsmith that can fix your pistol, but costs more and is inconvenient.

On the other hand you also have a gunsmith who doesn't seem to be able to fix your pistol, but is less expensive and conviently located.

I know what I'd do to solve the problem.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Well, there you have it ...

On the one hand you have what sounds like a gunsmith that can fix your pistol, but costs more and is inconvenient.

On the other hand you also have a gunsmith who doesn't seem to be able to fix your pistol, but is less expensive and conviently located.

I know what I'd do to solve the problem.
    The people at Lugerman didn't say they could fix my pistol. They mearly made the suggestion to send it in for their examination.

The cost is a factor yes when the price for shipping, insurance, and fees from LM in their dissasembly fee before the additional fees for the actual repairs do make it a pain as I'm already in the gun quite a bit.

It's not fair though for you to say my gunsmith can't fix it as he is still working on it as we speak. But yes it is convient to not also have to ship a gun for the above mentioned reasons in my last post. My gunsmith has done excellent work for me in the past and I like supporting his business when the chance occurs like now.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The people at Lugerman didn't say they could fix my pistol. They mearly made the suggestion to send it in for their examination.

The cost is a factor yes when the price for shipping, insurance, and fees from LM in their dissasembly fee before the additional fees for the actual repairs do make it a pain as I'm already in the gun quite a bit.

It's not fair though for you to say my gunsmith can't fix it as he is still working on it as we speak. But yes it is convient to not also have to ship a gun for the above mentioned reasons in my last post. My gunsmith has done excellent work for me in the past and I like supporting his business when the chance occurs like now.
    Didn't say that your guy can't fix your pistol, and didn't say the other guy can.

Unfortunately, my observation has caused you to get defensive, so I'm going to step away. You do with your pistol what you want to do.

Best of success to you.

Top Bottom