• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Do you guys leave your scopes on your rifles when you put them back in their cases? I have a soft-side (padded) case that I use, and I have a removable mount for my scope. Is it worth it to remove the scope and store in a box or something in my field bag rather than leaving it on the rifle in the bag? The mount is supposedly able to re-zero when removing and remounting, not sure how accurate that is however.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Do you often find yourself being transported halfway around the globe in a troop transport?

Are you tossing the rifle and case into the back of a pickup truck and going for a spin around the Baja?

Do you use mount systems that are weak and/or cheap, or who have shown a propensity to move before?

If the answers to the above 3 are all "No", then you should leave the scope on the rifle, and get a padded case with tie-downs.

Were you ever, by chance, a smallbore shooter?

-Nate

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I just toss my rifle, scope attached, in the back seat and head where ever I want to go.

If a few bumps and knocks is a problem for a scope, it's probably not fit to be on anything bigger than a 22lr anyway.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I leave mind on, but keep in mind most removable scope mounts (I dont know what you have) taking the scope off will require a rezero. If you can share the mount you have I can tell you pretty close what you will find in real life.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    If the answers to the above 3 are all "No", then you should leave the scope on the rifle, and get a padded case with tie-downs.

Were you ever, by chance, a smallbore shooter?

Sounds like I am good! Yes, I have been a small bore shooter since I was a young teen.

I leave mind on, but keep in mind most removable scope mounts (I dont know what you have) taking the scope off will require a rezero. If you can share the mount you have I can tell you pretty close what you will find in real life.

I bought the American Defense Recon Scope Mount from you along with the Vortex Strike Eagle scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sounds like I am good! Yes, I have been a small bore shooter since I was a young teen.

I bought the American Defense Recon Scope Mount from you along with the Vortex Strike Eagle scope.

With the ADM you can expect a return to zero within 3/4 MOA. With that setup, its really a flip of a coin if you want it off, take it off. If you dont, then leave it.

A lot of companies advertise return to zero cheap, but advertisements,and real life dont always intersect.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    With the ADM you can expect a return to zero within 3/4 MOA. With that setup, its really a flip of a coin if you want it off, take it off. If you dont, then leave it.

A lot of companies advertise return to zero cheap, but advertisements,and real life dont always intersect.

Thanks. 3/4 MOE variance is more than I would like each time I remove and reinstall the scope. I will go ahead and just leave it on.

Appreciate the info.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yes, I have been a small bore shooter since I was a young teen.

I KNEW it!!! psyko

(I'm totally kidding. I shoot Smallbore as well, at least in training, and I have the utmost respect for the dedicated 3P and Prone smallbore shooters. They really are a lot better shots than most everybody else.)

It's just intriguingly predictable when ANYbody asks that question that they come from the Smallbore background where you're always taking off and casing the sights. Nobody else does that, even those with well over $1,000 in a set of long range iron sights.

I will say though, that one rifle I have will return it's scope to less than 1/2 Minute--usually windage--when I have to remove it. Course...the rings and work on them cost more than some scopes.

-Nate

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IMO, leave it on unless you have a REALLY REALLY REALLY good reason to remove it, such as a catastrophic failure. I don't care who's mount it is (GDI, BOBRO, Larue, etc...), I always reconfirm zero before relying on an optic after pulling one off.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Another vote for leave it on. Re-zeroing is a pain and nothing to gain with taking it off unless for some reason it's in an environment where leaving it on is detrimental to the safety of the glass.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for all the advice. I just worried that it was going to get banged up in the padded case and that it might be best to store off of the gun. Sounds like rezeroing is necessary each time, so it is definitely not worth it!

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I leave the optics on so I don't have to re-zero. If you are worried about it getting damaged in the soft case, how about getting a hard case for storage?

blakeelee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I leave the scope on. If I need the gun, I dont want to have to throw the scope on. Also, your zero will be more accurate if youre not taking it on and off

Buchhaas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2017
    Vermillion County
    If it's one of your good rifles then I say go with a hard case its a great investment for your top of the line rifles. If it is just a plinker just don't toss it around everywhere and it will be fine.

Top Bottom