• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    My wife is an orthopedic nurse and had something very similar to you. she had here hardware removed as well. It depends on your age if you are under 30 your bones as the heal can/will push the screws out so that it will just get worse for you. The down time for the removal surgery is not that long. I recommend removing the hardware if you can afford the operation and the down time.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    your bones as the heal can/will push the screws out so that it will just get worse for you.

Nope. The only thing that moves screws is motion at the fracture site. Screws will not move once (or if) the fracture heals. If your screws are moving, you ain't healed.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Get them taken out if they are causing discomfort. They didn't do surgery to my broken ankle (no insurance), and it still hurts 5 years later. Of course, I went back to work as soon as I could stand and walk.

Good luck.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Also have fun with TSA now, about half the time I have to get the overly intimate pat down after the body scan, because the ankle sets it off. I need to go back and get the card just in case,when I got my surgery, all they used were metal detectors and I didn't have any problems. So I recommend that if you leave in some of the hardware, that you get the card.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I love having fun with the TSA, dumped three mags through a suppressed M16 before going to the airport and the "sniffer" box didn't say a thing, I was really let down.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Hopefully they didn't strip them out during the initial surgery.
    Could be why they are sticking up too high. I wonder if they make a surgical ez-out kit?

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Dad broke his ankle about 10 years ago and ended up with something like 2 plates, 11 screws and a few pins. He lived with the hardware for about 5 years and then it started causing problems. The Doc told him it would be a good idea to remove some of the hardware. They didn't remove everything but even removing just a few of the problem components improved his health immensely.

I have a plate and 8 screws in my wrist from breaking my distal radius. Often times my wrist aches right where the plate sits but I apparently have a fairly high tolerance to pain and the doc said as long as I don't need pain killers it would be a good idea to leave the plate in place.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Also have fun with TSA now, about half the time I have to get the overly intimate pat down after the body scan, because the ankle sets it off. I need to go back and get the card just in case,when I got my surgery, all they used were metal detectors and I didn't have any problems. So I recommend that if you leave in some of the hardware, that you get the card.

Really!? I was almost certain titanium didn't set off metal detectors. Maybe they are using different stuff now?

A lot of the original research for determining why bone LOVES titanium was done with dental implants since it is easy to monitor and design a study around. It has a pretty cool history from a science standpoint.

I'm curious to hear what beeeman says about this, he is obviously extremely knowledgeable about this.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Really!? I was almost certain titanium didn't set off metal detectors. Maybe they are using different stuff now?

I had never had a problem before christmas of last year. I flew out of Sioux Falls, SD and after going through the body scan, I had to get the pat down. I assume it was the ankle only because when I looked at the screen on the machine, there were a number of yellow boxes concentrated on my ankle. Also the guy paid special attention to the ankle during the pat down.

When I flew out of South Bend, on the way back, the body scan was all I got. I guess it's kind of hit and miss, but since the OP is still in contact with his doc I'd think it'd be just as easy to get the card.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I can't find my x-ray of my wrist or I'd post it. A titanium plate and 21 screws. It doesn't bother me very much, just not as flexible as it used to be.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I still have a titanium rod from my tib/fib repair and also 1 plates and 8 screws all removed from my right leg. Get the crap removed. It is like night and day as far as the pain.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom