• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    I have noticed that there are many that replace the 700 Tactical and SPS stocks with other stocks...is the stock that comes with them not efficient for accuracy or are they just striving for the better accuracy game or preferance....Thanks for any input...

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Some of both, but the factory Hogue overmold stock that came on my 700 is soft, doesn't have decent bedding blocks in it, and the forearm flexes a lot, which means that when you use a bipod, when you load the bipod (pushing forward into it to get a more solid anchor to the rifle) it flexes up and contacts the barrel.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    The factory stocks on these lower end 700's are very flimsy and cheap. The front will flex up into the barrel on the tacticals and the sps are not free floated at all. Ergo's are also another reason for switching them out. You can purchase some of the higher end model 700's and can get better stocks but the price reflects the cost and may still not be exactly what you want. You can save money by buying one of the tacticals or sps models and still get the legendary 700 receiver and use the saved money to upgrade to a stock that fits you and your needs/wants.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I free floated and stiffened up the cheap factory Tupperware of my last two 700's.
    Isn't expensive or difficult.

A little Dremel work and epoxy makes them quite usable IMHO. Can use tubes to run less epoxy in forend hollows, to keep weight down a little, maybe help with balance.

Lugging one around all day, an HS stock might be a worthy upgrade (yes I miss my little Model 7 stainless w HS).

First 700 ADL synth after forend mods put 5 handloads into .50" at 100 yds (4 of them into .330"). Did that back to back. That's accurate enough for me (a sporter .243 win) ;)

Current ADL synth has no tubes, just epoxy. It's around .750" with factory ammo (no handloads yet). It too a sporter .243win.

I hunt, so my guns are tested off bipods with a rear bag (since they will most times at least be running a bipod). Maybe I don't load mine (bipod) as much as others, but the accuracy is there and woodchucks go splat.

Tupperware can be made to look presentable too.

008.JPG

Worst stock I think is that of the Savage Axis. It can be stiffened up with epoxy at the front, but the wrist still allows for flex. That and the ergonomics of it suck. Can make it usable but more effort than it's worth IMHO...........esp when 700 ADL's can be scored for not much more.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Take offs........

Don't care for the new synths with non checkering .....guess I aint alone (hence the low price).

Cheap enough for somebody wanting to save their walnut and do some tweaking.

Tupperware with a couple of old carbon arrow sections, Dremel work and a $16 big tube set of JB weld.............usable.
    But yeah, I'd still like an HS................that white web over tan was pretty sweet.

BTW, you can duplicate the finish, Krylon makes "webbing paint". I'd like to white and red splatter a black stock next.
    Alas, they don't make red :( Just black, gold, silver and white.

Top Bottom