• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have been looking at replacing the stock on my .308 Remington 700 sps Varmint ADL. I have been looking at the Choate Varmint stock and the Bell & Carson's M4 stock. Well the only problem with the bell and carson is that I would have to convert to BDL. I don't have any big issue with this aside from the additional $70-$100 cost. Well I ran across a New, factory take-off Remington Hogue overmold stock with bottom metal for around $85. Now I'm considering just going with that for no as it is around the same cost as the bottom metal and all that I've been seeing, it is a free float barrel design(which the varmint stock is not), and is fibergalss reinforced with aluminum pillars already. The Hogue overmolded stock seems like a pretty big improvement over the factory varmint stock for a low cost compared to the choate or bell & carson. Just looking for a little insight I suppose.

for reference:
    choate stock:
    ULTIMATE VARMINT STOCK | Brownells
    Bell & Carson:
    Bell & Carlson Medalist? Weatherby Style Stocks for Mark V, Vanguard & Remington 700 with Aluminum Bedding - Right & Left Hand Available

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would take a Hogue over the Choate, and the BC over the Hogue if pricing didn't figure into it. The Hogue will be a upgrade over the factory stock (some 700's come from the factory witha Hogue).

The way I would look at it is buy the Hogue, if you end up not liking it you can sell it in a couple years if it doesnt work for you and not lose much (maybe 20 bucks). I think if you buy the Choate and dont like it you will loose a good bit. I sold one at the last 1500 for 100 bucks.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have heard mixed stuff about the Choate but seemed like a decent stock with an aluminum bedding block and all the other features for a low cost. Though some I have hear flexing in the fore end, others say it is rigid. B&C seems to have an excellent reputation though.

I am really leaning towards the Hogue at this time due to its low cost and would be a nice upgrade over the current varmint stock that is not free floating.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, I pulled the same Choate stock off a 25-06 heavy barrel Savage 110 and went with a Bell & Carlson.

The Hogue is a great value and a good stock for field use. If you really get interested in long range, be prepared. Fun gets very expensive.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The only one they had to fit a heavy Savage! I don't remember the model. It took a minor amount of inletting with a file to get fire control function and ensure the barrel was free float. Nice stock though. Oh...I think I had to order new trigger plate screws from Savage too. Don't remember anything more than that. It's been a couple of years.

Savage110.jpg

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Well I decided to go with the hogue. If I end up not liking it I can sell it for a little under what I paid and keep all the bdl stuff and cut down my cost over having to buy an adl to bdl kit. Will post pics when I get the new stock in and mounted.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I just ordered a composite from Stockade Gunstocks for a savage build. The money saver lets you finish and paint it how you want. Their wait time is the only thing that sucks though. I did ditch a Hogue on my Howa .308 for a Bell and Carlson Medalist. Huge difference and man is it comfortable.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I will eventually be upgrading to a bell and carsons in the future but went with the Hogue for the time being. Alan made an excellent point with the cost of the Hogue. My 700 is currently an ADL setup so I would have to buy an ADL to BDL kit anyways to go with the B&C. I could not find a kit for less than $100 and got the Hogue with everything to convert it to BDL for $85. I can likely sell both stocks in the future and make my money back and possibly some. I figured it was a no-brainer.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Went with the Hogue mainly just for the Bottom medal and everything else to convert it to BDL for the time being. Will eventually get replaced with a Bell and Carlsons though.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Definitely do the Bell & Carlson... My R700 came factory with the Hogue overmold... I ditched that sucker quick... the Hogue is "free-float" but not stiff. So the instant you put a bipod on or you grip near the front of the stock it pushes against the barrel and you no longer have free-float. I upgrade to a B&C stock and noticed an instant improvement in accuracy... I was impressed. You definitely did good on buying the Hogue if for nothing else than to get the BDL Bottom metal, but I would ditch the stock for a better one when you can afford it.

Top Bottom