• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Was laying in bad with the laptop at like 4AM and looking at some gun stuff, and stumbled across a stainless Remington 1911. The price was right too, not too low, not too high.

Just look at this beauty:

remington-r1-stainless.jpg

Anyhow, my birthday is in a few months and am looking to get then or before then and starting to do some research now. Wanting to keep the cost less than $700 and I love the stainless look.

So, Remington. Good 1911s? Anything similar in quality and price that's also stainless?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'd personally look for one with a beaver tail grip safety, rounded hammer. IF you've shot a 1911 or BHP much I know you get my drift.
    I'd have to go with the Springfield for that kind of money.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The rounded beavertail makes life a lot easier for carrying and shooting. The hammer gets sharp digging into your side and ripping up the seat back of your vehicle. How do I know you ask?
    Beavertail is the same way. Much easier on the hand and waist line carrying.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Didn't say anything about "bleeding out" I said cleaning blood off a gun. Every time I shoot a BHP I bleed, Every time my brother shoots a BHP he bleeds. They bite the web of our hands.
    Never had the issue with the 1911 because I bought mine with the extended beaver tail.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I mean, clearly I am a 1911 newb but can't you avoid being ripped a part by one by... I don't know... simply being aware of how you are holding it?

Yes. To me it's more of a comfort issue. When I carry one I have to be aware of it digging into my side or ripping the seat or console of my vehicle

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Yes and no. Yes you can avoid being bitten. I personally have to change my grip shooting a BHP, but then I'm concentrating on my grip and not my sights,trigger control, etc .
    With the extended beaver tail my grip is basically the same be it my Sig or the 1911.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Dude, to answer your question, I haven't read anything bad about the Remington R1s. We bought one for my dad last Christmas and he's smitten with it.

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    Alot of stainless 1911's out there. Take a look at Ruger's SR1911, it's under $700. I own the Commander model, its all stainless, picked it up used. Good luck in your search, they are beautiful guns.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Alot of stainless 1911's out there. Take a look at Ruger's SR1911, it's under $700. I own the Commander model, its all stainless, picked it up used. Good luck in your search, they are beautiful guns.

I have the same gun and it runs very well. Not as shiny stainless but nice all the same

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Recently an ingo member brought his new Springer loaded (stainless) over for me to get a weight on the trigger. It pulled off north of 5 Lbs. and had some creep in it. This was after a few hundred rds.
    He had an SR1911 on his hip so we measured and compared it to the springer. The Rugar (this one) actually had the better trigger of the 2. I was impressed at how little creep it actually had (some but not much) and it went off right at 4.5 Lbs.
    The Springer has been worked now so no comparison but out of the box the Rugar was the better of the 2.
    Fit/finish went to the loaded but for the price points that is to be expected.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom