• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Yeah, that sounds about like the maintenance from most of my relatives (I'm slowly learnin' to be better). Those bottom-ejecting Ithacas are also very easy for take down & maintenance.

Can someone offer up a quick comparison between the 1100 and the 11-87? The 1100 was the precursor to the 11-87?
    A quick search seems to indicate that the 11-87 was the attempt to modernize with 3" shells vs. just 2-3/4" (non-magnum version, I reckon). I'll spare you the links from the DuckDuckGo search.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The 21" barrel on my 11-87 says '2 3/4" or 3" shell'.
    I apologize for being unclear. I meant 3" in addition to the 2-3/4". I think, traditionally, the 1100 was typically for sporting clays/trap with 2-3/4" rather than heavy loads with the 3" shell. I'm sure someone will come along with a good counterexample here shortly. :):

But here's a link on TrapShooters about the difference between the 11-87 and the 1100 to at least justify my limited understanding of this.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    1100s could be had in 2 3/4 or 3 inch mag. The difference is that a magnum has a single gas port bbl and a standard has two. Also a magnum has a heavier action sleeve.

Remington advertised their 1100 magnums as do all hunting guns, if you bought at extra 2 3/4 bbl.

Magnums also came w a recoil pad.

1187 was an attempt at one gun does it all, w one bbl. The spring clip at barrel ring blow open on higher pressure loads to bleed off the " extra gas" needed to cycle the action.

Not all 1187 bbls had pressure compensation ( some target and deer bbls IIRC ).

Even if you put a 2 3/4 field bbl ( 2 gas port ) on your mag 1100 it still has a heavier action sleeve. I need to see if mine will run steel dove loads w a bbl swap

It does run 1250 fps lead target loads fine w the magnum single port bbl. Steel dove loads wont cycle it.

Sold my standard 1100 twelve gauge and my trap model 1100 too.
    Only have the magnum now

It wears a newer 26" remchoke magnum bbl. Discontinued for some time, that bbl now is silly priced.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I can swap a bbl and maybe the action sleeve, to have an 1100 that will run everything.

Why i bought a beater standard w imp cyl. It ran steel dove loads fine but w synth stock and 26" bbl i found it just too light for a dove rig.

My trap gun had a high comb stock, w comb reduced. Still bit me once in a while. Also had fixed full choke so wasnt gonna run steel in it... Bye bye.

A 28" w Remchoke and a weighted synth stock would be my choice for a dove gun running steel.

Prices on bbls now are silly and I'd rather have another gun than an extra bbl. Eh, didnt even put in for dove this yr.

35 yrs of cooking my brain ....had enough. The cool old timers are dying off and it just aint fun like it used to be. New crop of guys......skybusting Youtube hero types.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It doesn't matter what they make, it matters how they make it. Remington has destroyed their credibility when it comes to how they make guns.
    You are right about creditability but it wasn’t Remington pulling the strings. That goes to one greedy investment group after another. If you were a super on a production floor and have had to deal with the cash sucking suits taking all of your working capitol along with itiot shooter wannabees teaming up with ambulance chasers, I would like to see what one could put out then. Probably, modular plastic, Mattel type assembled guns that require no machinist to make. That is the price point this gun generation wants and they have worked hard to retire all the craftsmen.
    As an American Sportsman, I will, even though not in need, buy from the new Remington and decide for myself the quality and go from there. Granted, I have never bought a Remingto pistol, but in the hundreds of Remington Long guns that I have gone thru, I never have got a bad one.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I literally bought a crap load of Remington over the years, the old stuff. Some that I would buy were neglected or abused, just so I could fix them back. I have never had an old Remington that wasn't fixable, after buying it because it just wouldn't run. And I don't mean doing high tech procedures either, just get a replacement for the broken part, install and runs like new.

I couldn't say that for Stevens, Iver Johnson and several others, but for old Remington, a Remington is a Remington. My hope is that they stay afloat long enough to get around to making something I desire just so I could help them out. Why they thought it was a good idea to buy NEF and not produce their most sought after products or try and corner the market in black guns that were dirt cheap (at the time) and everyone was building their own. And why try and get your hands on all the .22's?

If I were to bank on Remington it would be the Remington of old, something made to work until the end of time with a modicum of care, not eleventy million versions of something that doesn't shoot straight out of the box...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Let's just hope they don't hire the quality control personnel they have had in the past. Get some people that will actually send a firearm back down the line if they find something wrong.

One of my son's worked for Honda as a QC guy. He said he sent probably 25 cars back per shift. He said most was just nicks or smeared up interior parts, he said the worst he caught was a car coming out without a transmission....

So good QC personnel can save a company a lot of bad reputation If they do their jobs properly.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You are right about creditability but it wasn’t Remington pulling the strings. That goes to one greedy investment group after another. If you were a super on a production floor and have had to deal with the cash sucking suits taking all of your working capitol along with itiot shooter wannabees teaming up with ambulance chasers, I would like to see what one could put out then. Probably, modular plastic, Mattel type assembled guns that require no machinist to make. That is the price point this gun generation wants and they have worked hard to retire all the craftsmen.
    As an American Sportsman, I will, even though not in need, buy from the new Remington and decide for myself the quality and go from there. Granted, I have never bought a Remingto pistol, but in the hundreds of Remington Long guns that I have gone thru, I never have got a bad one.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than for Remington to pull themselves together and start doing their brand proud. I would love to see them succeed. I would love to see them make awesome guns.

I don't think they're probably gonna do it, but I'm not rooting for them to fail.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's a reason why I bought my old neglected 1100 special purpose.
    Because I knew itd run (even if I needed to fix something initially).
    KNEW the basics were sound.

Now I never though Remingtons fit and finish to be all that.

Don't consider myself a Remington fan.
    But I've tried a couple dozen over the years and not had problems, and they worked very well for me.

Top Bottom